Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Newbie - 1972 Gran Torino Sport restomod

New to this forum, heard about it from another new member, Wall.

I'm currently in the process of gathering parts for my 72 Gran Torino Sport restomod. I've owned the car since 1990-91 and it's been sitting in the garage most of that time. I've been too busy wasting my money on Mustangs to realize that I could have one cool G-ride if I'd spend some time and money on it. Right now the car has it's factory 351CJ(Cleveland 4V), Toploader 4spd, high lift cam, and 4.11 gears. It's a blast to drive, but the rear suspension needs work, and there are not too many aftermarket suppliers of Pro-Touring components for these cars. Heck, i have yet to Find a 72' Torino with 18" + wheels. Well I hope to be the first to do a restomod on the exterior and maybe a turbo 351C, but honestly it would be much easier to swap to the Ford 514...it would fit in without cutting a thing....decisions. Anyway here are some pictures...enjoy!

Country Flag: United States
      What's up Todd? Glad you made it over, there's alot of good info on this board.
      1967 Firebird (current project)
      1967 Firebird (unfinished project SOLD)

Welcome to a fellow Ford owner. That Torino should look awesome with large rubber and rims tucked under those huge fenders!!

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson
      73 VW Super Beetle "Sports Bug"
      95 Taurus SHO 5-speed -- new open-track beater

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed
      Welcome to a fellow Ford owner. That Torino should look awesome with large rubber and rims tucked under those huge fenders!!

cheers
      Ed N.
      Thanks! Yep, I think there is plenty of room in the rear fenders for some wide tires. Can't decide on a wheel height though. I think that on large cars a tall side wall looks best, but I'd like to photoshop on some 18's-20's. Anyway I have some paint and body to do first. The car was originally metallic silver, so i plan on returning it to it's original paint scheme within the next two years.

Country Flag: United States
      Welcome to the site. Nice car.

Welcome to the site! I love your project... My '70 Mach is my first love (bought in '88), but I've wanted a '72 Torino sport for nearly as long. Unfortunately I've never been in right place to make it happen even when I've found 'em for the right price.

Anyway, don't worry about being first while doing the project. I know of a few other '72 Torino sport projects being done right now, including at least one for SEMA this coming year. It doesn't help when PHR published Kris Horton's rather nice rendering of a pro-touring '72.

BTW, I did this photochop sometime last year (or maybe the year before)... my idea of the right look for a '72 sport:

I'll look forward to your updates.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com