Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

T56 Shifter Location

Has anyone done a ls1/t56 swap into a 2nd gen firebird or camaro. Id like to know where the shifter ends up. i have a center console in my 72 bird and id like to see pics of your install. I like the 6 gears but Im leaning to get the tremec 600 so I can keep the console. Let me know if you know if it will work or have pics. thanks

Country Flag: United States
      I am pretty sure you can get a kit that will allow you to change the location of the shifter on the t56. I don't remember if Keisler offers it or somebody else does, but I do remember seeing them available. I am sure somebody else that know the t56's better will chime in.

Good Luck,
      Joe

I just installed a LS type T56 into my Camaro behind an LS motor.
      I did this install so I could prototype our upcoming T56 kits. The shifter is posiotioned about 2" further rearward than stock. McLeod does make offset shifters for the T56. If you wanted to get the stick in the stock location you would need to get a 2" forward, 1" left offset shifter. I believe that McLeod has a shifter with these dimensions. I will be using a straight stub shifter and building a custom console that moves the shifter hole rearward by 2".
      All the above is accurate if you are using an LS style T56 behind an LS motor with the same LS motor mount plates that I used. If any of these 3 variables (trans type, motor type, mounting plates)change, none of this info will apply. This is the hassle with th eT56 install.
      You can read more about the progress of my install here:
      http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/Si...let_Camaro.htm.

With the TKO there wil be no mods and you can use your stock console in the stock location.

My general conclusion is that the TKO install is less expensive, a bit easier to install, and the 5th gear overdrive with the TKO is plenty adequate. If you happen to be road racing your car at high speeds (85 MPH +) and you need a clean 4th to 5th gear shift (wher you don't drop as far out of the RPM band as you would with the 5 speed) then the 6 speed may be the better choice. Also, for sevral reasons, I feel the LS style T56's is best suited for use behind an LS motor wheras the "aftermarket" T56 is best suited behind a carburated motor.
      Last edited by Hurst - Jeff; 05-21-2006 at 08:52 AM.
      Jeff Mortenson

The Viper T-56 Has a shifter mountined 2 -3" more forward and an inch or so off to the side. I was told by D&D that this would work in my Chevelle with a stock consol. And will take the abuse off more power than the Camaro/Firebird T-56.

Anyone know about how much the viper t56 cost
      1970 TA, 1963 Impala SS vert

also any pics of a viper t56 and a gm t56 installed in a 2nd gen f body
      1970 TA, 1963 Impala SS vert

I installed a ls1/T56 in my my 71 camaro.The shifter came right up in the right position. I did not have to use get any special shifter or move my console. As a matter of fact the final shifter position was ideal for perfect shifting. Here is a pic (more on my homepage). The console is in its stock position
      71 LS1 SOLD 6-24-6

Future Plans: LS2/T56 in 70-73 camaro

I think D&D sells them for $2600.00. I got mine off E-bay, new $1500.00
      Stroked LQ4 (402ci), Twin 62-1 Turbos, Viper T56 M6, Moser 12 bolt w/ 3.42's.

I recently finished installing a TKO 600 in my BBC '80 Trans am.
      The shifter location is absolutely perfect. It came out about 2" forward and an inch to the left of the stock shifter hole for the TH350. If a T56 is 2" longer, my shifter location would have been a little too far back and would not have worked with the stock 4-spd console from Year One.

Paul

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com