Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Valve Lash

Valve Lash

i have misplaced my cam spec card for my comp cams 286H for my small block chevy (pn 12-36-4) i need to set the lash on no. because i had to replace the guide. The comp cams tech guy i talked to said that it should be between .040 and .060 which, needless to say is a lot of freaken clearance (not to mention a pretty wide difference between the two). He said i needed this much lash because i am using a stamped steel 1:5 rocker arm..... but i find this very doubtful as most lash specs fall in between .012 and .035. I dont mean to doubt someone who should know much more about the subject than i do.... but i cant help but feeling that this is not correct. Is there anywhere online or anyone who knows what the proper valve lash is for this cam?

67 Camaro SS/RS 350
      G-machine build
      there are three ways of doing things, the right way, the wrong way, and my way.......which is basically the wrong way, only its faster

I looked that cam up in my catalog and it's a hydraulic cam. All you need to do is turn down the adjuster nut slowly while spinning the pushrod back and forth with the other hand until all play is removed without pushing lifter cup down into body. You should just feel the pushrod get hard to spin. Then turn an additional 1/2 to 1 full turn and lock it. 1/2 a turn should be plenty. This is with poly locks. If you just have the lock nuts just tighten the nuts a 1/2 turn extra.

ah, i saw that in the catalog but i thought that was initial tightening.Thank you for the clarification.
      67 Camaro SS/RS 350
      G-machine build
      there are three ways of doing things, the right way, the wrong way, and my way.......which is basically the wrong way, only its faster

Country Flag: United States
      Just for clerification the comp cam rep meant that you will set them to ZERO lash then tighten them further untill you have pushed the lifter plunger in from .040 to .060
      69 Camaro
      W/D sub, Wilwood 13" brakes Bozeforged wheels 18X10 & 18X12,
      Lateral dynamics 3 link ( custom setup ) Dana 60
      lsX Twin Turbo, soon to come
      Viper T56 in place (Yay)
      Bought a running driving car so I can enjoy it before Im dead
      LD 3 Link Installed into ^^^^^ (Yay)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com