Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hybrid View

Location of Corvette LT1 O2 Sensors?

To give you a little history, the engine came to me in a box. :-)

I have pictures of the F-body LT-1 sensor locations, but does anyone have pictures of an assembled Corvette LT-1 (1995-6)? I have two O2 sensors instead of one and can't figure out where they go as I also have two temp/pressure switches looking for a home. There just does not seem to be enough holes left!

Also, the angle fitting for the oil pressure has two sensors. One broke off during disassembly (before I bought it) and I need to replace it. Are both the sensors the same, or does the guage uses a different type? If so, how do I tell the difference so I know which on to buy?

Thanks for the help guys!

Brent

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by barno68
      To give you a little history, the engine came to me in a box. :-)

I have pictures of the F-body LT-1 sensor locations, but does anyone have pictures of an assembled Corvette LT-1 (1995-6)? I have two O2 sensors instead of one and can't figure out where they go as I also have two temp/pressure switches looking for a home. There just does not seem to be enough holes left!

Also, the angle fitting for the oil pressure has two sensors. One broke off during disassembly (before I bought it) and I need to replace it. Are both the sensors the same, or does the guage uses a different type? If so, how do I tell the difference so I know which on to buy?

Thanks for the help guys!

Brent
      The O2's go in the exhaust downpipes just in front of the cats.

Jody

I can only remember a little bit about my LT1 and dont have any pictures but here is what i do remember (because i broke or replaced all of these. lol)

I beleive the o2 sensors (2) go on the manifolds or headers just like any other small block.

The knock sensor goes on the lower left side of the block

water temp sensor is on the drivers side inbetween the 1st 2 cylinders
      Wayne
      1967 Camaro - Done!
      1968 Camaro - Underway

Opps

Thanks guys that helped, but I see that I did a little word substitution... I have two knock sensors (not O2) that I am trying to find the locations for.

Yea, the LT1s only have 1 on the lower left on the pass side of the block. You might check out the part number on them, you may have 1 LT1 sensor and 1 LT4 sensor (less sensitive & pretty popular due to the amount of timing that a LT1 will try to pull)
      Wayne
      1967 Camaro - Done!
      1968 Camaro - Underway

I am pretty sure they are both stock as everything that came in the boxes was removed from the engine. But then again, I have not matched up the wiring harness yet. For some reason there was plugs installed, so I removed those and put in the knock sensors. The first two photos show the sensors.

The third photo is the oil pressure sensors, the black one is installed the one sitting on the manifold is the one that is broke and needs replacing. Are the base colors an indication of their function? I am sure the first question a the parts store will be "ECM or guage?"

The last photo is the two sensors that I have left. Pretty sure the one on the right is for the head temp, just need to remove the plug (darn square hole thing!). The other is a mystery and I do not see any spare holes...

Fbodies have one knock sensor all corvettes have two. You have the knock sensors in the correct location. They replace the coolant drain plugs for the block.

I will double check tomorrow if I can remember but the vette should also only have one oil pressure sensor and that is the one sitting on the top of the block at the back. The only other place for an oil pressure sensor would be the port above the oil filter housing. I am almost 100% positive no sensor was there. The sensor in the oil pan on the driver's side is oil level warning switch.

The two sensors you have in the last picture are coolant temp sensors. I can't tell if the left one is even supposed to be on the engine. Best thing to do is go to GM not autozone(I have had problems with aftermarket sensors for the LT1) tell them you need the ECM coolant temp sensor and the temp gauge sensor. I believe the temp gauge sensor also turns the fans on. I'd have to dig to find that out. Reguardless, the gauge sensor goes in the cylinder head between 1 and 3. The ECM sensor goes on the front of the water pump.

Anything else just ask. I have a 94 LT1 and a 96 LT4 I can look at with in a day or two.

Oh and Jody has the O2 locations right if you need those as well.. They are in the exhaust pipe just forward of the two cats. They are not in the manifolds. The other two were behind the cats on the pipe as well.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Thanks Trey. The oil sensors were both on that funky aluminum block in the picture. I am guessing that one is for the gauge and the other for the ECM (low pressure cutoff maybe?).

I have the coolant temp switch in the water pump already, just need to install the one on the head. That still leaves me with an extra sensor, could it be out of the radiator?

It is getting closer to being assembled. I put the accessory brackets, alternator and A/C on yesterday; the AC sits really, really close to the drivers side A-arm... hopefully it will not hit under load or when hitting those pesky potholes!

Brent

So the coolant sensor on the right with the broken plastic is still unknown? I will look tomorrow at the 94 and in some of my manuals. I will have time tomorrow. I just need to remember.

Have you checked the harness that you are using to try amd match up all the plugs to sensors? You may simply have an extra one in the boxes that doesnt go anywhere.

I believe there is no low oil pressure cut off for the engine. I will double check though and I would imagine it would be on the same sensor that reads oil pressure. ECM would cut everything not some manual swicth that could be faulty. that's my thinking anyway. I'll see what I can do tomorrow and let you know.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

ok I am slacking. I haven't looked yet eventhought I am right there at the cars everyday. Been busy with school and the other cars. I will try to look tomorrow or this weekend at the latest.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

http://www.shbox.comtry this link

I had the wiring harness laid out today and started cleaning it up. I have placed most of the connectors, but I did not look specifically for the extra temp sensor. Figured I would lay it out on the engine once it drys and checkthings out.

However, I did find the missing broken oil sensor. Sure enough, there are two. The second one is also black plastic, but it about an inch longer.

Thanks for the shoebox link, I actually have used his site before. Problem is, the corvette harness is just a tad different, thus the extra sensor or two issue.

Brent

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com