Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Vintage Air Installation

I am getting ready to smooth the firewall on my 69 camaro. I plan to install the Sure Fit system from Vintage Air. I was wondering if anybody had detailed pics of there installation? I would like to see how they ran there AC lines. I would like to smooth the firewall and buy the AC later. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

buy the bulk hd fittings for the a/c and heater and put them so the lines are up under the pass wing also do not put the pass seat in as you will need the space to fit it and the glove box needs to be removed as well

a couple thoughts

I assume you're aware Detroit Speed sells a patch panel to smooth the firewall. Also I think Vintage Air now sells different fittings for passing the lines thru the firewall. (I think) instead of a one piece bulkhead with four fittings there's one that would allow you to cut individual holes for each line rather than a single long hole. Easier I'd guess. Also, if this is true, I think there's a tool for "pressing/punching" a hole through the sheet metal. I thought using a hole saw to cut the top and bottom of the hole for the bulkhead was a little sloppy esp. since portions of the hole had two layers of sheet metal where the patch panel overlaps the original firewall. One more thing I think is important. You might want to get the evap bracket from Detroit Speed and the evaporator because you want to be sure the bulkhead connector come thru the firewall in just the right spot. There's not much room between the kickpanel and the evap once it's all installed. I just did all this on my 67. Remember to install the kickpanel before you put all the fittings in the firewall. Much easier.

We sell lots of Vintage, and lots of Vintage Air for Camaros. I would not suggest a Sure Fit if you smooth the firewall. A Gen 2 set up will do a much better job. The Sure Fit is excellent for stock conversions, but when smoothing the firewall, Gen 2 all the way.

You can use a bulkhead, many to choose from now, or run the hoses behind the inner fender and through the blower motor hole and through the kickpanel

I appreciate all the info. I ordered the firewall fill plate from DSE today. I located a DSE catalog from a friend yesterday. I see all the different ways i can plump the hoses. I am going to run them through the blower motor hole an kick panel and use the Generation 2 setup.

I see that Vintage Air and DSE will be at the Goodguys Show at Charlotte in October. I will probably make my purchase where I can see all the parts in person.

Thanks Again
      Mike Tucker

I used the Compac Gen II evaporator since I was smoothing the f/w and used the sure fit condenser since it has the brackets for the Camaro rad. support.

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms
      We sell lots of Vintage, and lots of Vintage Air for Camaros. I would not suggest a Sure Fit if you smooth the firewall. A Gen 2 set up will do a much better job. The Sure Fit is excellent for stock conversions, but when smoothing the firewall, Gen 2 all the way.
      Hey Frank, have you ever used Classic Auto Air? I like the Gen 2 also, but am looking at options. The bulkhead fittings are really nice either way, I am just trying to figure out where I can put the PCM (corvette harness) so it is not in the way of the hoses.

Brent

We sell both, but I use Vintage in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucks69

I see that Vintage Air and DSE will be at the Goodguys Show at Charlotte in October. I will probably make my purchase where I can see all the parts in person.

Thanks Again
      Mike Tucker
      That's to bad, you will pay more that way.

Where would be the best place to buy? I have not messed with the Vintage Air systems that much. My dad has purchased on for a 55 chevy and a 34 ford, both fit and worked fine. Hey I am all for saving money, this is only the beginning of the project. I would like to see the black and red camaro's installation up close. This sounds like what I want.

Mike
      Michael Tucker
      Project "Trouble" 1969 Camaro DSE subframe, quadrilink, 13" wilwood brakes, Rated X Rushforths, LS2/T56
      1968 Camaro

From Frank

LOL, Come on over to GP store, we will hook you up with everything.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com