Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LT1/4 Swaps Into Pro-Touring Projects

I see that there are a lot of LSx engines being used right now in the pro touring circuit, but what about the LT1/4?

I have looked around and don't see too many folks using that engine. Is there a reason for this, or is it just not that popular?

I've got an LT1 in my 67 , trouble is seems old hat now.

I have a perfect LT-1 for sale and havent recieved a single bite..... Must be something against them.
      68 Chevelle SS396. Pro-touring in Progress
      Pro-jected 396, TKO 600, 3.90'd 12 bolt, LS1 brakes.

They bolt right in a camaro or nova or ant gm body,just like a trad sbc.just need the wiring for a computer.

They make good power,mines close to 600hp

1971 Camaro, 383 stroker ~500HP,M21 Trans with lightened flywheel. All Sorts of Auto-x Goodness in the Suspension. 12" Brakes ->SOLD

But ask me about my 2004 STi Auto-x car...

Just call me Brett

Country Flag: United States
      I have an LT1 in mine also, but it has been there for about 5 years (before LS1's got cheaper). Sure I don't have a LS1 but I still enjoy 22+ MPG and have 325 HP at the rear wheel. Nothing mind numbing but nice to cruise around and have fun. Just did the whole Power Tour in it a couple of months ago. Next project will probably have an LSX in it. I can help you with info if possible. Try www.hotrodlane.cc they have an article in their catalog on how they put an LT1 in a 67 convert.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

I have one in an 86 Monte SS. Just haven't had time to work on it.

Scot
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

It's the fact that the LS engines are not expensive any more and they are a superior design. I love the LT motors and will be using one int he future for a build. Sure it's old hat now like mentioned. They still kickass though.

As for the LT4 good luck finding one. Any used ones get snatched up quick. There are no new ones availible. Converting an LT1 to an LT4 isn't worth the money. You can do better for less with aftermarket heads or by porting the LT1 heads. If only GM would lower the price on the LT4 heads. I'd snatch up a pair just to hold onto for later.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

The LT1 can make some silly power if built correctly. I agree its no LS1, the difference is eight valve angle degrees is enough in and of itself to seperate the two. The overall design of the engine is just superior.

I'm an iron fan myself, I like the 6.0L truck blocks that are converted to 408's or turbo'd 370's thats where its at. Sure its heavier but its a stronger case in my mind.

True Lt4 in my 69 camaro. Would have gone LS, but at the time the LT was affordable. Plus got a great deal on the engine.
      Kevin

Strangler,
      Tried to pm you about your LT1 for sale. Shoot me a pm with the details
      Kevin

My old man's '56 Bel Air has an LT4 in it, bought it new in the crate in '96. Runs nice, good mileage. Not enough torque down low though, needs a higher stall converter than we put in it, still trying to convince him to do it. But to tell the truth, if we built the car today, I'd put an LSx in it. Got a BBC in my 442, I don't know if I'd change that though. Hmm... Nah, I think I'd still go BBC, just all aluminum if I could. Maybe in the future though

Here's a shot of the Bel Air...

Shiny Side Up!
      Bill
      '72 442 "Inamorata"
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

I love my LT1... no experience with LSX's though, but I liked the fact that the LT1 bolted right in with no modifications, and I was able to run off-the-shelf headers, etc...

The LTs are tremendous motors and make excellent swap canidates for all types of builds. I would never pass on one if I cam across a good deal. Actually, we just picked up a 97 LT1 for $500 with a bad rod/main bearing. Engine is mostly complete with the harness. Even has the worthless exhaust manifolds on there. It'll find a nice home one day.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

I have one with a HOT cam kit and headers and it makes somewhere around 375hp (crank), which is about what a stock cam LS1 will make with good exhaust and intake flow. The heads are nowhere near as good (23deg angle vs. 18). But, for budget and compatibility with parts they are still pretty compelling. As mentioned they bolt up to standard headers, stock motor mounts, etc. And also traditional bellhousing / clutch / trannies work behind them, so you can run a Tremec which has better gear ratios for a hot rod than a T56 and can handle more power. Simple head and cam swap can get an otherwise stock LT1 into the 400rwhp range and still very driveable, so there is plenty of potential there. And really for the price of a LS1 you can do a heads / cam LT1 quite easily and make more power. Heads, cams and other mods to the LSx make even more power, but also cost more. Personally I like the idea of using the money saved for the rest of the car tho.

Also don't overlook traditional SBC under a miniRam or SuperRam - those systems can be found relatively cheaply and bolted up to any SBC and make great power with good driveability if you pay some attention to cam selection. Pair it up with a 730 ECU from a late TPI vette or camaro and you have a great package. I am planning to go this route with my car since I have the complete motor already and it uses stronger parts than the stock LT1, so should be more robust for beating on at the track. The LT1 / 4LE60 combo will then either be up for sale or I might stuff it in something else as a cruiser - we'll see.
      Scott
      '69 Camaro - WD subframe, LT1 / 4LE60
      '06 Nissan Titan LE 4x4
      #82 CMC Camaro - '83 Camaro road race car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com