Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Noisy factory LS1 lifters???

I was wanting to build an LS1 but was wondering why new GM V8's have noisy lifters. I have read about it in mag's and heard about it from friends. What's the deal? I hear the LS1 are great but why the noisy lifters at idle. Can it be fixed? Do you guys notice reliability probs?

Country Flag: United States
      some cars do it some don't. Same thing with piston slap. I have a friend with an 02 Firehawk that has piston slap. I've put cams in early C5s that sound like sowing machines at idle and some that don't. Some people have replaced the lifters and the rockers and that cured the problem. Others have tried the same thing and it did nothing for them. I wouldn't worry about it or let it stop you from biulding an LS engine. Just make sure everything is adjusted and tight and enjoy the ride.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

I agree with WS6... hit and miss... But you could try Morel lifters, very quiet and dyno proven at 9-21hp! Expensive though at 500 bucks...

Mine definitely has a sewing machine sound at idle, and I'm using factory lifters and rocker arms, both of which have countless hours devoted to weight loss and durability testing. I'd say you shouldn't put that noise very high on your decision-making list.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I was reading that the new magnacharger on a stock Z06 LS2 makes like 750 hp at the tires. The torque is like 750ish starting at like 2,000 rpm crazy huh??? That might be an idea...

My 383 gen 1 sbc has a factory style hydraulic roller cam, and it to makes that "sewing machine" sound at idle. Seem to go away when you give it a little gas, but maybe I just can't hear it as well, ;) .

It was kinda annoying at first, but I guess I got use to it. Adjusted the rockers sever times trying to get rid of it, re-checked the valve train geometry, etc. Never could get rid of it.

I hear factory style lifters are only made by like 1 or 2 companies, so mine are probably made the same as a Gen3.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com