Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Forced to start project over....

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since it makes for a project: I got rearended this morning in the Camaro on the way to work. That collision drove me into the car in front of me. The car is a mess. (No pics now because the wife is traveling with the digital camera.) Anyway, the guy behind me got a ticket, so I think that will makes things go better with the insurance company. I had just turned the insurance on for the Woodward Cruise weekend. I was taking the car to work for our pre-Woorward car show.

The rear of the car was hit pretty bad. The trunk won't open, and the impact damaged the fuel tank, so it's leaking. Of course, I had just filled the tank with premium. The radiator was driven into the fan, so it's shot. It looks like it will need all new sheetmetal in the front, or someone that really know what there are doing. The back will need a tail panel and who knows what else.

I expect to hear from my agent anytime now. Hopefully, something good will come of this, like a new paint job for a car that desparately needed one. I'll try to post pics when I get a camera, but I had to tell someone. I have a sore neck, but otherwise, I think I am handling this OK. I was pissed when it happened, and will probably get mad again as I get into this further.

So, I won't have the Camaro at any of the cruise events, and the Corvette still isn't ready, so I will come down and watch.

Ken

69 Camaro
      427, 4 speed, TTII's, Konis, JL8 clone brakes, solid AL body bushings, some assembly still required

69 Corvette
      427, 4 speed, TTII's, Bilsteins, HEI, what I work on while the Camaro sits

It goes without saying, but that really sucks Ken!!! Sorry to hear, you talk about bad luck! Enjoy the cruise this weekend the best you can.
      Later - Craig

[email protected]

'70 Chevelle (in storage now, probably will never be back on its wheels again!)

ah man...ain't that a b*tch! I got rearended in our family van the other day...no fun! no fun at all!

Take care of your back...whiplash ain't no joke. I'm in mild rehab for 3-4 months from my hit.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to not get too pissed now.

I'm trying to think of the bright side. Maybe, I will get a new paint job. If my wife sees the car with fresh new paint, maybe she won't be in a hurry to sell the car. (We had been talking about it.) I'm looking for shops now. If someone knows of a good shop in the Detroit area, I would appreciate a reference.

Thanks again. It's good to vent sometimes.

Ken
      69 Camaro
      427, 4 speed, TTII's, Konis, JL8 clone brakes, solid AL body bushings, some assembly still required

69 Corvette

Country Flag: United States
      can't sell it broken!

Sorry to hear about the accident....

awww f*ck!.. that sucks man.. sorry!

Sorry to hear that Ken! I know the whole situation has to suck!
      Sounds like you'll have to have some major tweaking done to the unibody to straighten it out... Was the hit in the front off-center and above the sub-frame or did it get into the frame?
      If you need any help give me a holler, I can stand around and give direction with the best of 'em...
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Ken....that totally sucks. Sorry to hear about that.

If you want I can give you the number to my guy. He's not a shop...independent body man.

He's in Macomb Township (about 45 minutes from you).
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Mark,
      The hit was basically a little to the passenger side. The front right fender is wrinkled up pretty bad. The rear bumper has been pushed in about 8-10 inches. From what I can tell, the sub frame is fine in the front. I haven't crawled under the back yet.

I was talking with a buddy and trying to figure out how it will go from here. Maybe, it's possible I can same some of the money by having a friend do the bodywork. (I have a standing offer, but it's in Cleveland.) Then, depending on how the insurance works, I can upgrade some things. I would like to get rid of the vinyl top, spray it the original red, and get all the RS headlight stuff working properly.

We'll see. It wasn't the way I saw the project going, but again, I am trying to make something good of it. Hopefully, the wife will see it the same way.

Ken
      69 Camaro

69 Corvette

Dammit. I hope you are ok.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by trapin
      Ken....that totally sucks. Sorry to hear about that.

If you want I can give you the number to my guy. He's not a shop...independent body man.

He's in Macomb Township (about 45 minutes from you).
      That would be great. I don't know how this will play out, but having some good references will help.

Thanks
      Ken
      69 Camaro

69 Corvette

I got rear ended almost a year ago in our 1962 Corvette. The damage wasn't as bad as you describe, but it still completely sucked. I will say though, and this is hard for a lot of people to grasp, but it is "only" a car. Yes, it might be a financial setback, and it's not an ideal situation, but you are still alive and in one piece. If the car can't be fixed, you can ultimately buy another one. Hopefully your sore neck isn't serious, but you should have it looked at. Anyway, glad to hear in general that you're okay. Collisions are not fun.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
      Dammit. I hope you are ok.
      Thanks, I seem to be fine. I took some ibruprofen and the neck feels better. I had just adjusted the factory head rest, so I hope that helped. I have a feeling the neck will be sore for a day or two.

Ken
      69 Camaro

69 Corvette

That blows, I hope the guy said sorry, I would have been real pissed,
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

The guy did say he was sorry. He was on his way to a job, and I feel a little bad for him. He'll be late for the job, and his insurance rates will probably go up a fair amount, being as how he is responsible for a lot of damage to two cars. As much as I am pissed at him, I still feel bad for the guy. Of course, if he had been paying a little more attention, he wouldn't have to pay the insurance. I wasn't even like I had the lock the tires up to stop. He must have just been slow on the brakes.

I have started to get some recommendations for shops, and my buddy is coming over with his camera to take some pics. I have some calls to make as well, but I am already trying to picture what this car can look like. It's not like it had never been hit before. I can see bondo in a lot of places where the metal has been wrinkled up. Still trying to stay positive and realize this is my opportunity to do this car the right way. The chassis stuff is basically done, and I don't think any of it got damaged. With some fresh paint and properly aligned panels, I will end up with a nice car.

Ken
      69 Camaro

69 Corvette

That sucks. That is definitely a fear of mine since I drive mine every day.

Glad you are okay.

Tony Huntimer
      RaceHome.com
      @Camaro.Family Camaros
      1967 #QuickChangeCamaro - SpeedTech Suspension LS1/T56
      1967 #CFBee - SpeedTech Suspension SuperCharged LS3/T56
      1969 #TaxReturnCamaro Art Morrison Suspension 496/T56
      1986 #IROCdaily - Stock IROC

Ken...you have a PM.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Hopefully you had collectors insurance! (?)

The other guys' insurance will most likely try to shaft you on the repairs, but if you deal through your own insurance, they should be pretty easy to work with, especially if it was a collector-insurance policy.

DO NOT agree to whatever they lowball offer you for the repairs. It won't be enough, and if you go through your collectors policy, the shop can keep going back for more for time/materials as needed.

Damn, that sucks! So sorry to hear about your accident. I hope it all works out in the end with the new project goals.

Hey, Steeveo's 68 got hit, and look at it now. You got hope!
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com