Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whats a good Auto Tranny for a pontiac 400 engine?

going to daily it so id like something suited to it.

anyone got some ideas?

thanks fellas!

If you want to stay automatic I'd have to say the 7004R with a performance rebuild and a good torque converter. The 7004R requires and adapter plate while the 2004R will bolt right up however they typically aren't as strong. I have a great article about doing the swap in a '70 GTO. I installed one in mine and love it.

Too big to attach, I'll see it I can email it to ya.
      Curt

'69 GTO ragtop, 455 R/A, EFI, TKO600, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Speedtech, Hotchkis, Wilwood
      '64 Lemans ragtop, possible LS project
      '08 Pontiac G8, 546 rwhp

Country Flag: United States
      Once you've tried electronic, you never go back. It's that good.

Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68
      Once you've tried electronic, you never go back. It's that good.
      Only after reading another thread did I come to understand that you could use a 4LE60/80 in the older cars. The major difference is just the electronic controller made by TCI or others for around $650???
      Curt

'69 GTO ragtop, 455 R/A, EFI, TKO600, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Speedtech, Hotchkis, Wilwood
      '08 Pontiac G8, 546 rwhp

More specifically, the major difference between a 700R4 and a 4L60E is the computer--and a throttle position sensor instead of a TV cable. A 4L80E is more involved from an installation standpoint, but the function is the same.

Now on the hunt.. bumping a back from the dead thread!

anyone know the best place to buy a pro built out of the box reasonable priced tranny for my GTO?

I talked to my mechanic and he talked me out of a 700r4.. and i dont think hes too adept at putting in an electronic 4l60e.. so i guess i dont have many options.. unless the 700r4 is built to hold up against pontiac tourque..

help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.VENGEANCE View Post
      Now on the hunt.. bumping a back from the dead thread!

anyone know the best place to buy a pro built out of the box reasonable priced tranny for my GTO?

I talked to my mechanic and he talked me out of a 700r4.. and i dont think hes too adept at putting in an electronic 4l60e.. so i guess i dont have many options.. unless the 700r4 is built to hold up against pontiac tourque..

help!
      Sounds like it is time for a TKO600!

Jon
      Jon U.

1968 GTO - SC&C Suspension, Forgeline SO3 Wheels
      Build Thread
      1967 911 with a few mods

wheres a good place that sells those?

trying to keep my cost low on this girl..

Engine specs? Also what is final drive ratio and tire diameter.

wheres a good place that sells those?

trying to keep my cost low on this girl..
      Girl? I thought that was Bonnie. No wonder Clyde is not happy

Summit has them, they are a five speed trans that handles 600 ft lbs of torque out of the box. They are not cheap about $2200 not including clutch and scatter shield.

You pretty much killed the auto since you eliminated the 700R4 and electronic trans. 200-4R can be built to handle the Pontiac torque but according to Feb2009 PHR the 700R4 is stronger to begin with. 700R4 has some line pressure and linkage issues that need to set up right for them to live. 200-4R is simpler. Either one you have to figure out the lockup torque converter.

The 700R4 or 200-4R is the easiest to install just need to relocate the trans crossmember and shorten the driveshaft. You can even keep the his and hers shifter.

You can stick with TH400 but then just have yours rebuilt. That is the cheapest route.

A stock 400 pontiac puts out 445 ft lbs of torque at 3500 rpm so you need a solid trans.

Jon
      Jon U.

1968 GTO - SC&C Suspension, Forgeline SO3 Wheels
      Build Thread
      1967 911 with a few mods

hahaha Yea its Clyde thats hurt.. makes me sad too.. ive been driving him DAILY for almost a month!
      i could do a 700r4 but i got to be sure that it can handle the torque.. didnt know that the stock 400s torque is that high!

and the gear ratio is stock (for now) but ill probably go to 373s and tire size will be 275 40 17s in the rear..

but if there is a 700r4 that can handle it then ill go that route.

i was trying to stay right at 1000 bucks but well have to see what we got..

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata....php?ITEMID=12
      the 700 is slightly stronger, than the 200-4r, stock. however it had more problems when it first came out, and the early 4l60e had problems of their own. but they can both be built to take over 800hp.
      as mentioned the post '84 200-r4 has a dual bolt pattern and can be used on BOP or chevy motors.
      however, i'd go electronic if you can, the only extra work to it is installing the TCM and one wiring harness. plus you can get the newer varients like the 4l65e, 5l50, 6l50 etc.
      work in progress--for the next 10 years.
      1987 monte carlo ss 383ci, 9.7:1, xe274 cam, vortec heads, 200r4, 3.73 posi.

http://www.700r4l60e.com/ - Dana at pro-built should be able to handle it. One of the top players in the game when it comes to auto trannys as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.jakesperformance.com/ - Jake may also be worth calling. I'm not sure if hes in country at the moment. He built my trans.

I'm sure theres also a few board sponsers that can build a 700 thats up to the task.

hahaha Yea its Clyde thats hurt.. makes me sad too.. ive been driving him DAILY for almost a month!
      i could do a 700r4 but i got to be sure that it can handle the torque.. didnt know that the stock 400s torque is that high!

and the gear ratio is stock (for now) but ill probably go to 373s and tire size will be 275 40 17s in the rear..

but if there is a 700r4 that can handle it then ill go that route.

i was trying to stay right at 1000 bucks but well have to see what we got..
      At $1000 you'd be best to avoid overdrive. Or scrounge up a very clean 2WD 4L80E for about $350. A good converter and shift kit will take you to the $1000 mark and steal the TCU from Vengeance. Otherwise, for under a grand it's TH400.

It'll be 2,000 minimum for a 700 conversion. I can vouch for Bowtie, as they are the only ones who have built a 700 capable to handle my 542 ft/lbs and be beat on repeatedly through up and down shifts, constant accel/decel in 2nd, etc. They are very good for the price.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

I might have a deal for you...

I've got a built (with the Transpack kit) 700R4 in my '69 GTO that is getting replaced with the Tremec TKO600. It has 5000 easy miles on it, I just decided that I'd rather shift gears myself.

Hadn't really thought about it before but I might as well sell it as I don't really plan on going back and I have the original TH400 anyway.

I have the shortened driveshaft to match, adapter plate and B&M Racing 2400 stall converter.

Let me know if you are interested.
      Curt

'08 Pontiac G8, 546 rwhp

To convert to a 7004R you also need to change the flexplate or drill another set of holes in the stock one to mount to the new torque converter. If memory serves, this is the one I used:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...w=32&N=700+115

The picture they show is not representative of what the actual flex plate looks like though.
      Curt

'08 Pontiac G8, 546 rwhp

I know you are looking for an auto but since the tko600 was mentioned a couple times I just wanted to point out that there is a seller on ebay who has them for $2,000. That's the best price I've seen.

If you are wanting overdrive don't forget about the Gear Venders unit, though it's not cheap either. But really to stay under a grand you probably won't get over drive unless you stick with a stock trans and then you'll have to be careful with it.

Also I'm pretty sure the turbo buick guys are running 10's with the 200-4r, but one built to that level will be a couple Gs. I think I'll rebuild one with a few upgraded parts for my 69 tempest, but it's just a cruiser with a 350.
      Traven

im looking at this tranny..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PONTI...Q5fAccessories

anyone heard of Jackson Performance in NC?..

i did some google searching and some chevelle guys said his trannys are pretty good..

anyone?

I'm running the 200R4 and just bought a shift kit and shifter for it. Now I just have to find someone that can install it right. Now I am not and will not be running big horsepower anytime soon. But if I can find the block and crank I want it won't take long. And I love the OD on it.
      1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com