Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

C5 rear disc brakes on 2nd gen Camaro

Looking to do this swap. I have access to a complete front and rear Z06 2002 Corvette disc brake system. Not too worried about the fronts. I know that SpeedTech is comming out with a conversion for the 2nd gen cars, in the meantime, there is aftermarket caliper brackets available if I wish to turn down the rotor for a hub.

But what about the rear? Can you use the 'vette mounting hub/ parking brake assembly on a 2nd gen, or will the shock interfere on the drivers side? Anybody done the swap and have info and part sources they wish to share? I'd prefer to keep the stock suspension design and the 'vette parking brake
      I got a good deal on these brakes,so I'm really hoping I can use them. Since I'm going to 18"wheels, that shouldn't present a problem.

Thanks for anyones help!

John

Well if you do a search you will get a lot of info. THe backing plates will get into the way of the shock, i had to use 2 pasenger(i think?) and take part of the ebrake lever apart to switch it around so it pulled from the direct location. Also i believe the corvette rotors have a different offset. You are just going to have to bolt it up and see what it looks like. I had to thave 1/4" spacers made to fit between the axle and backing plate so the caliper would be positioned overthe rotor correctly

My LS1 Rear Swap

Here's a shot of why you need a spacer...
      Attached Images Attached Images  

C5 rear disc brakes on 2nd gen Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by yody
      Well if you do a search you will get a lot of info. THe backing plates will get into the way of the shock, i had to use 2 pasenger(i think?) and take part of the ebrake lever apart to switch it around so it pulled from the direct location. Also i believe the corvette rotors have a different offset. You are just going to have to bolt it up and see what it looks like. I had to thave 1/4" spacers made to fit between the axle and backing plate so the caliper would be positioned overthe rotor correctly
      Yody,

I figured as much. Looked at the caliprs/bracket/backing plate last night. It appears that I need two right ( passenger side ) backing plates. Glad to hear the adjuster can be switched around, was wondering about that too.
      Back to GM to exchange the backing plate.

Joe, does soemone make the spacer, or does the spacer thickness vary from car to car?

Thanks!

John

not sure who makes a spacer, my neighbor is a machininst and is making one for me, should be really nice when done, i think 1/4" is standard, however it seems some people dont need a spacer. When you flip the mechanism around you have to lose the self adjuster hardware. BUt i don't think thats a big deal on an ebrake, just tighten up the cables every now and then

I don't know of anyone who makes a spacer. I just dropped my backing plates at my favorite machine shop to have them make up the spacers. I measured a 3/16th spacer was necessary for my particular application.

Okay, Ordered the passenger side brake hub, will return the other when it comes in. I'll leave the spacing issue until I mock the new brakes and axles up, then get either aluminum or steel spacers made up if needed.

Cody, your car must be getting close to completion, looks like you're going to have some fun this Summer!

Thanks to both of you for your input. As always it's greatly appreciated!

John

I Have C5 Brakes On My 2nd Gen. And I Am Having A Problem With The Drivers Side Rear Shock Hitting The Caliper. Do I Need To Get A Passenger Side Plate? Does Any Body Have Any Pics.?
      1970 1/2 RS Z28...

Can you guys post part numbers, misc parts needed and detail for this C5 swap on a 2nd gen f body
      1970 TA, 1963 Impala SS vert

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      Just used the LS1 set up. Same bolt pattern and off set. No headaches. Unless your calipers hit the shocks.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by 70ptta
      Can you guys post part numbers, misc parts needed and detail for this C5 swap on a 2nd gen f body
      what all do you need ???

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com