Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Mono or Multi leafs?

Suspension Gurus,
      I am rebuilding a 1967 Camaro and need some advice on rear suspension upgrades. It currently has the original mono leaf springs that have been pretty bent up by previous traction bar setups. I am also replacing the rear end housing so I would like to do this conversion all at once while I am in there (correct spring perches). Current plan is a Comp Eng Frame rail replacement with spring and shock upgrade and get rid of the traction bars if possible. I plan on keeping the rear end width stock, no tubs and running a 275-295 section width tire. Questions: Stay mono or go multi? Install Comp Eng Top shock mount? Leaf Spring rates? Thanks for any help/advice on ride comfort, performance, experience etc.
      Thanks, Bo

Country Flag: United States
      Go with multi leafs. They are stronger, and if you get the Hotchkis or Global West springs, they are biased to the front to combat wheel hop. That means that you may not need traction bars. If you get the Hotchkis springs, get the shocks that they sell as they are tuned for the application. Global's are regarded as the best, with the Cat5 being the ultimate.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

Allen,
      Thanks for the help. The goal is to get away from needing the traction bars. I agree with going with the Hotchkis system, I am doing this myself and trust that the engineers who design most of these systems will do way better than me experimenting.
      Bo

You might want to check out the 175lb/in multi-leafs that DSE sells. These do a good job of reducing wheel hop as well. -Rob

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/show...t=12743&page=5

Pictures of my cars:

http://community.webshots.com/user/rswhite

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com