Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Engine choice

Engine choice

I am in a delima with my current project. I was just about finished when my motor decided to take a turn for the worse. Now I am going to have to pull it and rebuild it. My question is what to rebuild. My currnet plan is to finish the car and sell it. I already have so many plans for the next one. But should I just rebuild the motor i have. It is a 4-bolt 350. The other option I have is to spend the extra money and make it a 383. For selling purposes does the bigger motor bring bigger money?

Thanks for your input
      Matthew

In most cases, a hot 383 will bring down more cash than a 350. Going the 383 route is not a whole lot more than just doing a good 350, a little more on the machine work and parts since youll need another crank. You can get a budget 383 kit for about $600 or so if you shop around. What kind of car is this gonna be in?

The motor is going in a 67' Camaro. I am starting to lean toward the 383. But what about a stroked 327. That might be fun as well....

Just a thought
      Matthew

If you are gonna sell the car, don't sink a bunch of money into the new engine... you'll never get the money back out of the build.
      I'd just buy a GM 330HP crate engine and toss it in. The motor has enough punch to fell good without costing a ton of $$.

Remember this formula for calculating the value of a running car.

(Amount of money you have into the build) / 2 and your time is worth nothing
      1971 Camaro, 383 stroker ~500HP,M21 Trans with lightened flywheel. All Sorts of Auto-x Goodness in the Suspension. 12" Brakes ->SOLD

But ask me about my 2004 STi Auto-x car...

Just call me Brett

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com