Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Bolt-in irs prototype for first gen F bodies

Last week I saw a prototype of an irs for first gen F bodies that will be a bolt-in using a Ford 8.8.! When it's complete and ready to market, the only fabrication necessary will be cutting a semicircular notch in the frame rail and welding in a piece to box it back in. It uses the existing front spring mounting location so there is no cutting into the wheel tubs or back seat sheetmetal. You will have to do a custom exhaust since it won't allow for a cross-flow muffler, but who keeps their stock exhaust anyway. I'll keep you posted and see if I can get any photos as it nears completion.

Possiblities for a sec gen??
      Chris
      1971 RS Z28 Pro-touring thing......will it ever be done??

Country Flag: United States
      How much $$$? Low fac and inexpensive would be nice. I've already got way too much into my front suspension.

Is it using the Thunderbird irs, or late model mustang? My friend and I talked about doing the thunderbird setup 3 years ago, but like many things ended up being all talk! I'd like to see what they came up with

I think he said that they are thinking about second gen since there are a lot more of them. They need to get this one completed first to see the response. It probably won't be cheap, especially if it's a complete unit with gears, brakes, etc. It also has a built in drive shaft loop.

I was assuming it was a late model Mustang, but not being a Ford guy I don't know the difference from the t-bird. I was so overwhelmed by the fabrication that I didn't think to ask.

who is building this ? It sounds pretty sweet!

It does look pretty sweet! But in my excitement over seeing it I've probably spilled the beans a little early. Sorry. I think they want to announce it in an upcoming Camaro publication once they get it tweaked, powder coated, etc. I don't want to steal too much of their thunder, but stay tuned. I'll see what else I can find out.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com