Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Chevelle Front End Part #'s

So the time has come for me to do a mini front end rebuild on the chevelle and I have a couple of questions. My Chevelle is a 1966.

Based on what the fellow at Western Tire told me I have a worn idle arm and center link. He felt that doing and alignment without first replacing these parts would be a waste of money and I agree with his analysis so I need to order some parts.

Doing a little research on the web I found these part numbers:

DS740 1964-67 Steering Center Link, Accepts 7/8" Dia. Idler Arm
      FA442 1964-67 7/8" Dia. Idler Arm

The rest of my front suspension has been rebuilt recently, (replaced bushings in lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods, upper control arms have solid bushings) so would it be ok to simple replace the idler and center link, or are there other parts that I need to pay attention to.

This car sees about 25K miles of Los Angeles each year.

dennis68 Guest
      Yeah, Geoff. Just replace those 2 items. The centerlink will wear out again, this is the big wear item on the A bodies. I believe the Moog part has a lifetime warranty so look into that and save your receipt.

The early A bodies had a running change so there is no telling which part you have now, just have measure what you got.

I have a feeling that I am still running the original part. I am also going to replace the upper control arms as the ones that I am currently running have a bent cross shaft and worn bushing from the past 5 years and a little run in with a curb a while back (see what happens when you let you brother borrow the car). FYI I am running steel on steel upper control arms so it is not possible to simply replace the cross shaft and bushings. I think that I am going to run a set with urethane bushings for now, possibly delrin, but from what I understand the difference is not all that great between that two.

Geoff, I bought a new centerlink and idler arm for my car from Year One. I don't know the part #'s, but they did give me the right parts.

I have all ES poly bushings on my frontend. I get some minor squeaks over speed bumps and such, but other than that they have performed without a hitch.

For my 70 chevelle
      Centerlink is MOOG part #DS749
      Idler Arm is MOOG part #K5143

I was suprised to find when they came that the seams had been smoothed down already and appeared overall to be nice, quality pieces. I had mine powdercoated silver/grey and they look fantastic.
      -Keith

zefhix
      There is nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent-

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com