Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Best Front Spring Upgrade for 68-72 Nova's?

Well I finally bit the bullet and yanked apart my tired front suspension. I know dropped spindles are the wrong way to go on the 68-72 X-body's and just trying to get an idea of what you guys are running for a front spring upgrade that improves handling while not destrying ride quality?

I have heard hotchkis springs can be a bit harsh on ride quality, but I have no personal experience with them. I will be going with a PST polygraphite kit up front and was considering there srpings as well However I dont know much about there springs?

So any and all opinions on a quality spring upgrade would be greatly appreciated......
      71' Nova - LY6, T56

Where's all the Nova guys at?
      71' Nova - LY6, T56

I am running hotchkis front springs, edelbrock ias shocks and hotchkis sway bar. I know its not hi-tech but I think it rides fine for the street. The front sits about 2" lower in the front with those springs compared to my stock ones. I am also using the hotchkis rear springs and edelbrock shocks in the rear. All in all I think the car rides great, not to stiff, but way better than the old stock stuff.

i'm running hotchkis 2" front lowering springs as well but with bilsteins...i think i may have to a cut the coils a bit after setting my car down on the ground with this aluminum engine im running now! before this engine, my car had a nice ride...maybe a little rough but for the street it's decent for what it is. tonight will be my first time driving my car with this new engine in i'm excited to hear how it sounds and drives...i'll let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by 72nova
      I am running hotchkis front springs, edelbrock ias shocks and hotchkis sway bar. I know its not hi-tech but I think it rides fine for the street. The front sits about 2" lower in the front with those springs compared to my stock ones. I am also using the hotchkis rear springs and edelbrock shocks in the rear. All in all I think the car rides great, not to stiff, but way better than the old stock stuff.
      Quote Originally Posted by 72NovaSS
      i'm running hotchkis 2" front lowering springs as well but with bilsteins...i think i may have to a cut the coils a bit after setting my car down on the ground with this aluminum engine im running now! before this engine, my car had a nice ride...maybe a little rough but for the street it's decent for what it is. tonight will be my first time driving my car with this new engine in i'm excited to hear how it sounds and drives...i'll let you know!

Thanks for the input guys. So overall ya'll are pleased with the Hotchkis springs? My main concern is ride quality an improvement in handling would be a welcome change I just really dont want to have a harsh ride......
      71' Nova - LY6, T56

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      im running eiback springs, nice ride.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick
      im running eiback springs, nice ride.
      How much of a drop did you get w/ the Eibach's? Also are those the f-body springs because I didn't they made any specific to the Nova?
      71' Nova - LY6, T56

ttt
      71' Nova - LY6, T56

Honestly I love my hotchkis springs and shocks but as far as ride they stink. But my feel for it might not be the best because I'm still sitting on the horible bench seat so that probly affects my take on the ride quality.
      Andrew Petty

as far as i know they are the same for first gens ...i love the ride quality..i almost didnt get them b/c of some people saying that the ride is harsh but i deffinitly dont see it..and the funny thing is i have el cheapo gabriel shocks money hasnt allowed for me to get my bilstens..i had to rebuild a motor..
      1969 camaro ss 372,hotchkis tvs, comp cams 268xe, world products heads, zz4 intake, 670 holley, msd setup eagle alloy 212's, autometer ultra lites......99 console with megashifter, ls1 brakes and a soon to be 700r-4
      http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2246580

Guldstrand mod, Bilstien shocks and some springs in the 550/lb range. Check David Pozzi's site for a list of Moog part numbers. They're about half the price as the Hotchkis springs. Money saved can go to the better shocks.

Thanks for the input guys. This should get me going in the right direction at least.

Just out of curiousity anybody have any experience with the QA1 coilover kits for the 68-72 Nova's, QA1 #GMP14 or similar?
      71' Nova - LY6, T56

I have the eibach springs and KYB gas shocks,we recently cut one coil out after the ZZ4 Motor was installed but I am having some rubbing issues on the passenger front side when I hit dip's in the road, I will eventually go with the front coil over DSE set up.
      72 Nova

I love the handling of the Hotchkis springs, but the ride is a little harsh for the street, especially on long trips.

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA
      I have the eibach springs and KYB gas shocks,we recently cut one coil out after the ZZ4 Motor was installed but I am having some rubbing issues on the passenger front side when I hit dip's in the road, I will eventually go with the front coil over DSE set up.
      Waht did you think about the ride quality before you cut a coil w/ the Eibach's? Also how much of a drop did you get w/ them?

71' Nova - LY6, T56

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      How much of a drop did you get w/ the Eibach's? Also are those the f-body springs because I didn't they made any specific to the Nova?
      sorry, yes its for 1st gen BBC and it sits real nice. I believe the listing is for SBC 1" BBC 1.5" drop.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com