Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

how to paint ghost flames?

iam confussed on how to paint ghost flames. do u spray your base color. tape off the flames and then add a pearl to the base and spray the flames u taped off with the base that has the pearl in it then clear it? this is my first time trying to do ghost and i was never tought how to so iam just trying things out to see if they work.

here is a pic if what i did when i tryed to do gost as u can see they are to ghosty lol and i had to thick of tape when i was taping the flames off but it was my first time taping flames out so ill learn one of thease days
      thanks

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      looks good, but its usually done with a lighter fog in the clear.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

I dont think they are too "ghosty", in fact I think I agree with Vince. If what he is saying is that the flames could be even lighter/less visible.

A damn impressive first time though! It ALMOST makes me think I could do it myself, if I wasn't artistically retarded.
      Kevin.
      69 Firebird "Eternity"

ghost

usually you will spray base then tape off flames, then use a pearl color from the base, straight or mixed with a colorless base and spray flame area, then untape and clear, you will only see flames on side view in sun etc

Country Flag: United States
      We've done it by spraying the color base, then taping off the flames and using just pearl in clear, then pull the tape, wet sand, and clear the whole car.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

-Base
      -Mask off flames
      -Pearl mixed with an innercoat clear and over-reduced
      -I prefer fogging in the edges only very, very lightly
      -Remove mask
      -If the flames are too defined, simply mix up more base, over-reduce it and fog over the top. You'll see them slowly dissapear. Be carefull not to mottle the base if it's a metallic
      -Clear

ok so mix some pearl in to the clear do i do light misting coats? and what do u mean by fogging in the edges? and when u say over reduce put more reducer in than its says on the mixing directions?

quote=Happyfunballs]-Base
      -Mask off flames
      -Pearl mixed with an innercoat clear and over-reduced
      -I prefer fogging in the edges only very, very lightly
      -Remove mask
      -If the flames are too defined, simply mix up more base, over-reduce it and fog over the top. You'll see them slowly dissapear. Be carefull not to mottle the base if it's a metallic
      -Clear[/quote]

Very light coats, yes. With the gun 18" or so off of the panel, lightly spray(fog) the edges of the tape line. Doing this will define on the edges of the lines rather than all of the space in between. In the pic you supplied, you have pearl from the front of the fender to the licks of the flames right? Fogging the edges will only put pearly on the contours of the flames. See how the flames in the pic below are not uniform with pearl. The painter has concentrated his spray around the edges, thus highlighting them with pearl. Hope that makes sense.

You need to do a few test panels to get the "look" you want. This is a pic of the lid on my truck.

This was done with a straight blue pearl in a clear midcoat over white Base. I call them "stealth" flames. They only show up in direct sunlight.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Nice. thats what im talking about right there. Our tow truck had this done with green and red pearls used to accent the 3D of the flames. (Sadly i have no pics)

it was awesome watching the licks disappear and reappear in color.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com