Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: A.L.L Camino

Country Flag: United States

A.L.L Camino

Hello,
      My name is Peter. My son Peter Jr and I are building a Leukemia Themed (Colors) Inspired Pro Touring style 1983 El Camino build. The project came as an idea of him learning a bit of mechanics while also paying a tribute to his fight against Cancer and putting him Leukemia into remission. My son is currently in his second year at FIU studying Mechanical Engineering and unfortunately I'm in prison awaiting an appeal for a Self Defense gone wrong. Welcome to the state of Florida. Anyways I had to write this down and give someone my password for them to tell my story and post periodic pictures of the build. And our struggle as I teach my son mechanics while incarcerated. Now on to the build.

So the 1983 El Camino was purchased from a friend of mine who always seems to be in the loop with old drag cars. We paid $1500 expecting regular dings and dents and a bit of rust but not what we found after. So I felt like we got "got", but the damage was already done by the time I found out about the rear floor pans because rusted like they were. Moving forward, we found a 2005 LQ9 through a "reputable source" saying that it would run as we only wanted to rebuild the engine and slap it in with a stock 4L60E. That turned out to be bull**** as well. So here we are at the machine shop with rust in the cylinder walls and 3 spun bearings. So the machine shop sold us a replacement Block, and a replacement Crank cut 0.010 under. Had him install Stock Pistons bored 0.020 over. Decided if we are going to rebuild this thing might as well and some power. So we went with a Brian Tooley Racing Stage 3 N/A Cam. We also purchased everything that was needed with the Cam. 7.4" Pushrods, 0.660 valvesprings, Morel 7717 Lifters, New Lifter Trays, bolts etc.
      Short block is now assembled and long block will be built in a few weeks depending on Peter's school schedule.
      We did end up getting Sponsored by Featherlite Composites for one of their Fiberglass Front bumpers with 6inch Valance. Great looking product by the way.

Plans are:
      White Paint, Black trim, orange accents and Orange cancer ribbons.
      Fiberglass bumper, rear metal rollpan.
      6.0 LS
      4L60E transmission
      Brake upgrade
      Minor Suspension Upgrade
      18 or 20in wheels

So let's bring in the pictures.
      Name:  Quarter Pass Side.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  167.1 KBName:  Quarter Driver Side.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  146.6 KBName:  Fender Driver Side.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  141.6 KBName:  Fender Passenger Side.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  154.9 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Weekend came around and i had my son start removing things. We plan on using a Vintage AC Box but for now we had to go with what we could afford.
      Lewis Metalworks makes a good looking cowl and ac Delete panel so we went with that.
      Also removed some wiring. And removed master cylinder and brake booster.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Looks like a great project you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Threepointtwo View Post
      Looks like a great project you have there.
      Great rust bucket. But its the learning experience for my son that's the most important. If only companies would sponsor for causes and not just wanting to be seen. But it'll get done. Thanks for stopping by.

Cool project, Should be a fun build!

Nothing make me happier then seeing young people carrying the hobby, traditions, interests Joy ... forward..
      Well done guys looking forward to seeing the progress.
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Sweet project
      Also happy to see young people loving the cars ! Nice work keep us posted.
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

Hope to see more updates about that nice project!

Sweet car, great project, and I love seeing young people involved with the car hobby.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

This is awesome. It gives me motivation to work on my elky

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com