Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States

Sv

I won't be there either. Work has me buried.

Jon has some video of the CS event somewhere. FAST FAST FAST.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

jonb- yes I did get those pics of my car you took. Those are the best pics of my car yet. BTW I tried playing a video link you made of you driving around cal-speedway viewed from the stands, but it did not work.

All- So is it going to be lame since this is my first time and I'm in the yellow group? I don't like the idea of someone holding my hand while I sit in the passenger seat, I came to drive. I guess I will prepare mentally to be irratated for my few minutes that they let me loose on the track. Can't believe that I will get to go on the banked oval that the nascar greats get to zoom around on.

Country Flag: United States

Learning

If it's your first track day I highly suggest using the experience of the teachers as much as possible. It will make your learning curve much easier. Going fast around the track is much more mental than it is right foot. Since they don't know who you are it's understandable that they want to qualify your abilities. You would not want some thrasher on the coarse at the same time as you, right?

Attend the drivers meeting. Ask questions. Be polite. Let people pass. Ask for help from the Red group. See if you can go on multiple passenger seat rides in the Red group to learn the lines.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I'm back

Just wanted to update everyone, I'm back from my first ever road coursing adventure. And was it an adventure. I woke at 3am to drive from San Diego to Fontana. When I finally got to the track I was overwhelmed with the size of it.

The JGTC(Japanese Gran Touring Circuit?) cars had stolen our designated garage spots and also proceeded to irritate us for the rest of the day with there needing track time and parking spaces for all their equipment and to satisfy the crews of media, making us move our cars and stuff more than twice. I was part of the school of speed and because of that I lost a round of racing for classroom lecture on driving. In the room JGTC drivers kept entering and distracting the class. Then we got completely booted out when JGTC announced they needed the room for their drivers meeting which ended our classroom session abruptly. Also since the schedule was almost an hour behind thus axing the Ducks in a row. At least I got the instructor to drive my car with me. I was amazed at how well he adjusted to my cars quirks to show me the line. He was very helpful in showing my mistakes and helping me correct them. I would say it is worth having an instructor on any new track.

This is a fun track, but defiantly a horsepower track. My car at the moment is lucky to be pumping out 200hp and I was a sitting duck on every straightaway. Even though my car was the slowest (speed wise) I was able to beat out a few people in overall time with some skills and wilwood brakes in the corners. There was this 2003 ss camaro that I had to slow down behind just to frustratingly see him blow my doors on the long banked straight.

The day was great and now I'm hooked even though the JGTC tried to sabotage the event. There was one more round at sunset but my engine had developed a vibration and a slapping noise from the bottom end. Probably my higher than normal g-loads on a stock unbaffled oil pan was the cause. So I called it a day and limped her home at 50mph. I think I was the only pro-touring guy out their. No other vintage American iron.

I was reading the conflicts SV guys and JGTC guys had over at SV forum. Didn't realize it was that bad. That sucks.

But good to hear you had a good time. We do need more PT guys out there. OT event is really fun. Once you do it, there's no turning back!
      The first step of becoming a better driver is to attend a track event, time yourself, and realize the fact you really suck.

Signed,
      A driver who laps Big Willow at 1:42.6 in a 134hp BMW - and I am still considered mediocre.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com