Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ebay strange scam?

When I log in to "my ebay" I have a search set up for: 1969 camaro, min price $450. I just checked it and the newest listing is a "protouring camaro" It says: Chevrolet : Camaro 1969 PRO TOURING CAMARO SS CONVERTIBLE TORCH RED!!!</IMG> It has a tiny little picture, when I go to click on it to view the ad, (I've tried it 3 times) a window pops up which looks exactly like the ebay log in page. Problem is I'm already logged in and it's asking me for my user ID which never happens, when I go to log in to ebay my ID is always already plugged in. This is for sure some kind of a scam, I didn't plug in my ID or PW on that page because I thought it was strange. SO be careful if you are already logged in and a page comes up asking you to reenter your info. The page looked exactly like the ebay page!

Beegs AKA Bryan

I just checked it again and it has been pulled. Looks like a scam!

This listing (#4610925051) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
      Beegs AKA Bryan

You don't need a user name or password to view listings.
      The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

I saw it to

What it did was redirect right into the login page.

Country Flag: United States
      Maybe they were trying to get you to input your ID and Password to steal your Identity? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
      Maybe they were trying to get you to input your ID and Password to steal your Identity?
      Yep that's what it is. There's even one where you get an email from someone asking if your selling [insert name of item here that you have nothing to do with] and that they want to buy it or that ebay wants to confirm that you and seller have agreed that you are not going to buy it. When you click on the 'Respond now' button you get a login screen that looks like ebay. But if you look at the url its not ebay. They'll use your ID to buy things and even have your id start selling all kinds of weird crap.
      '82 El Camino w/ 95 LT1

'02 Camaro SS a few mods

'04 Silverado - the beater

I just wanted to let everyone know what had happened to me. I always wondered how those scumbags were able to get people's user ID and password.

Poltergeist, do you know what to look for in the fake URL? I know that the page that came up was pretty much identical to the ebay login page.
      Beegs AKA Bryan

Most of the fake URLs I've seen were "http://www.ebay-security.com" or "www.ebay.host.com" or similar - not an ebay.com addy.

Used to be they could set up a user/pass combination in the URL - "http://www.ebay.com/stuff@their URL" where it would look like you were going to ebay, but that vulnerability was removed from IE back in July of last year. Not sure if browsers other than IE ever supported that.

Hey Thats My Car!!

This has happened quite a few times to me. You see I listed my car on ebay last year. That heading was my heading WORD FOR WORD. I am willing to bet the picture you saw in the ad was my car too!! I have attached a picture of my car so I hope this works or Just click on my vbgarage and you should be able to see my car pic in there. I did not sell it and am glad I did not but scammers have been using my write up and picture at least 5 times on ebay!!

USE COMMON SENSE WHEN USING EBAY. If something looks suspect... believe me it is!!

toofun check this out:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=14271

One of my first posts. That was also your car I saw, I knew it was yours, for some reason that shot of your car stuck with me. On this most recent one the picture was too small to tell if it was yours but it was the same angle etc..
      Beegs AKA Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Beegs
      Poltergeist, do you know what to look for in the fake URL? I know that the page that came up was pretty much identical to the ebay login page.
      Pretty much what derekf said. Alot of the ones I've seen will also have an IP number instead of saying ebay like 216.12.12.12 (made that up and don't know where it goes).
      '82 El Camino w/ 95 LT1

'02 Camaro SS a few mods

'04 Silverado - the beater

Thanks for the info!
      Beegs AKA Bryan

He He He

Yea I didnt see the other post. I have made some upgrades on the car for sure to make it more "pro-touring" as many have specified. The heater hose did have a return on it but it feed to the back side of the manifold hence the "appearance" of only one hose.The suspension was revamped and it now has a 383 stroker with tko600 behind it. The drum brakes will be history in about a week also.

Funny thing is with all the criticism I received on the car I had two firm offers of 41,000 and 39,500 for the car as it sat.(You cant get this type of quality car in the north east!! they bring a big premium!!) I would not sell it though since I would never find a replacement for it in that kind of condition. I really is the straightest nicest car I have ever owned!!

Anyways, it is good that we have a site like this to watch our backs and not get scammed. Like I said before if something looks too good to be true..... it probably is.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com