Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Country Flag: United States
      SO after all that mumbo jumbo, do holes have any benefits to brake fad/performance?
      In that respect, the answer is "it depends". With cheapie pads (and relatively small OE-size brakes) it's quite possible that you could improve fade resistance somewhat, though that would come at the expense of increased likelihood of cracking.

So for the purpose of a Pro-Touring car--where quality parts are generally specified in an effort to improve performance,

the answer is: NO

The cute little holes do not offer any benefits to brake fade/performance

Everything went blurry after post #60. :rolleyes5

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina

rotors

heres how the guys on the american Lemans tour were using to take care of pad clean up and out gassing.They are cute too... Notice how they dont span the entire rotor. I spoke to one of the pit guys and he said slotted or not, stress cracks are common. Rotors and pads were exspendable. There were piles of cracked rotors and burnt up pads at every pit.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

I have seen those type of rotors with the short slots on a Nascar car before, they seem pretty popular, whats the count now?

Hey, if I could get those bullet-hole decals made really really small, then sell them to the guys who want drilled brake rotors, I'd make a fortune!

But first, I need to figure out how to keep them from rubbing off!
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Not too worried...

Since I will be primarily on the street I am not worried about drilling or slotting a this point. I got a great deal on my Eradispeed II's, 13", which are on the rear. When I finally get to the front, which will be under a great deal more stress (with the accompanying heat) there will have been a lot more testing done on this subject and I will take advantage of the knowledge. Again I my 71 Camaro will be 99% street, with the rest at Thunderhill (relatively close and no weird elevation changes in corners like Infineon, which is even closer to me so I may check it out a few times too). I will keep watching this thread and others related to the subject in order to make certain I have the necessary information when the time comes for the front.

Again I would venture to say that most of the street cars on this site (many of which will see minimal track time other than open track days) would probably do just fine with whatever type of quality rotor used. Pure race cars or those that spend many consecutive laps under stress would be better of going with tried and true competition systems, which seem to leave drilled out of the picture for the most part.

Jeff

The problem David is that after all of them melted off it would be just some glue and plastic goo on the rotor. Well wait one glue is adheasive right? You may be on to something David. We will call it PozziHoles, the cheap easy way to improve the stopping of your car.
      Brian

Well, here's my two cents...with a 2500 lb daily driven 1stgen RX-7, I experienced no cracks or "spidering" on my cross-drilled rotors at all and that's with whopping 8.94" diameter rotors...lol...I took factory fresh rotors to a local machine shop that's been around for 30+ years and drew the pattern I wanted on them. They decide where and how much material to actually take out to give me my cross-drilled pattern. These same rotors also saw some autoX workouts during that time. I'm sure it was more like the pad upgrade I did at the same time, but I definitely didn't have to worry about brake fade after the changes...here's a shot of the rusty beast about a year later after the accident that took that '80 Rx-7 off the streets...it sat in my driveway unprotected as I picked off the parts needed to build Furious Rex, the '83 RX-7 which is now my daily driver....absolutely amazing what a new Caddy can do to a poor old rex in the rain...
      Attached Images Attached Images  

not to argue, but autocrossing wouldn't get your rotors hot enough to make them crack. poor little rx7

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com