Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Rear Shocks suggestion `67 GM A-Body

Hey Guys i`m in the process of restoring my `67 Buick Skylark GS and i`m going with Hotchkis rear control arms and springs,global west suspension with QA1 coil over set up up front unless suggested otherwise,but i`m looking to get some suggestions for rear shocks,i was thinking either QA1 or Bilstein`s,what do you guys suggest?

Thanks

George
      `67 Buick GS 400 Hdtp,494ci Stage 2 BBB,5-speed TKO-600,"The Black Widow"

It depends what you`re running in the front. You want reasonably well matched rates. Between QA1 and Bilstein I`d go for the Bilsteins. They`re always high quality and trouble free. Fixed rate Bilsteins will be valved light for your GW springs though. Hotchkis Bilsteins are just slightly firmer,still too light but a little better. Adj. rate shocks would be ideal but our (and many of our clients) experiences with QA1s have been very spotty. Mark SC&C

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus SC&C
      It depends what you`re running in the front. You want reasonably well matched rates. Between QA1 and Bilstein I`d go for the Bilsteins. They`re always high quality and trouble free. Fixed rate Bilsteins will be valved light for your GW springs though. Hotchkis Bilsteins are just slightly firmer,still too light but a little better. Adj. rate shocks would be ideal but our (and many of our clients) experiences with QA1s have been very spotty. Mark SC&C

To be 100% honest with you i`m not sure which way to go in the front,i know i`m gonna be using global west upper and lower a-arms but i`m not sure if i should go the qa1 coil over route or just a Hotchkis spring with shock?as for the rear i would go for the bilsteins,whats the best place to get them from?any suggestions appreciated greatly.

Thanks
      George
      `67 Buick GS 400 Hdtp,494ci Stage 2 BBB,5-speed TKO-600,"The Black Widow"

Before you buy the QA1 "coil overs" for the front give me a call (have no fear,Verizon fixed the phone system ). Between the two though,Hotchkis springs. Best price on Bilsteins is often from Summit. I think they have the Hotchkis ones too. Personally I`ve gotten spoiled by adj. shocks and being able to tune a car to ride and handle exactly the way I want it to. Even the best fixed rate shocks are someone elses idea of what an "average" car of that type should drive/work like. Mark SC&C

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com