Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wilwood rear p-brake on 68 Firebird

I have some problems-solutions
      I got the kit # 140-7141 (2.81 offset)
      1-Bearing OD slightly larger than Bracket kit - I emery wheel inlarged hole. Easy
      2-When I bolted up axle using OEM nuts,plate and found axle could move in & out 4mm = .1575". I checked OEM backing plate is 2.6mm = .1023" and Wilwood "Bracket Kit" backing plate is 6.6mm = .2598" thick
      when you replace OEM with 4 mm thicker plate you get 4mm play
      I got 4mm spacer machend slighty smaller then the bearing cut in half
      and with a little grease to hold in bolted up and the axle jamed. After looking close found that OEM plate only bolts up to outside of bearing inside is wider I grinded out inside of my 4 1/2 spacers reinstalled and Bingo no movement and no binding.
      3- My offset is approx 2.71" my kit is set for 2.81" thats .1"or 2.5mm
      I need. What should I do
      1- install spacer plate between axel face and rotor at same time have 7/16" studs in axel replaced with 1/2" .1" longer (this is the way Im leaning)
      or 2-Change spacer (and get longer cap screws) on bracket kit that holds the caliper. I think .1" may be to much? Wilwood puts out a kit that is .06" more.

Im glad I havent ordered my wheels.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill68fbrd
      I have some problems-solutions
      I got the kit # 140-7141 (2.81 offset)
      1-Bearing OD slightly larger than Bracket kit - I emery wheel inlarged hole. Easy
      2-When I bolted up axle using OEM nuts,plate and found axle could move in & out 4mm = .1575". I checked OEM backing plate is 2.6mm = .1023" and Wilwood "Bracket Kit" backing plate is 6.6mm = .2598" thick
      when you replace OEM with 4 mm thicker plate you get 4mm play
      I got 4mm spacer machend slighty smaller then the bearing cut in half
      and with a little grease to hold in bolted up and the axle jamed. After looking close found that OEM plate only bolts up to outside of bearing inside is wider I grinded out inside of my 4 1/2 spacers reinstalled and Bingo no movement and no binding.
      3- My offset is approx 2.71" my kit is set for 2.81" thats .1"or 2.5mm
      I need. What should I do
      1- install spacer plate between axel face and rotor at same time have 7/16" studs in axel replaced with 1/2" .1" longer (this is the way Im leaning)
      or 2-Change spacer (and get longer cap screws) on bracket kit that holds the caliper. I think .1" may be to much? Wilwood puts out a kit that is .06" more.

Im glad I havent ordered my wheels.

Bill
      Bill,
      Thanks for the e-mail.

1- It sounds like you are working with a C-clip eliminated rear end....Is this right?

2- You are making suggestions that the bearing "bolt's up" from the outside??

3- If you ordered a 140-7141 and have bearings, plates and hardware that bolt up from the outside......."YOU HAVE THE WRONG KIT"

4- Where did you get this kit?

5- After reading your post again I am sure your GM rear-end has been "C-Clip eliminated".

6- If I am perhaps misinterpreting your post, then the 2.81" offset will work with any 12 bolt (with c-clips) when offset is in doubt.

7- Since you are stating that your offset is 2.75, to end up with the caliper center over the rotor (sinced it is of the "fixed position" style) you will need to use the shims that were included with this kit (part number 240-2259 shown as item "6" on your parts list), to correctly center the caliper of the rotor.

8- If I were you I would not install spacers between the axle face (as you call it) and the hat section of the rotor, to solve this issue.

9- If you do in fact have a c-clip eliminated kit, get the right kit!
      Laramie Torres

Quote Originally Posted by LTorres
      Bill,
      Thanks for the e-mail.

1- It sounds like you are working with a C-clip eliminated rear end....Is this right?

2- You are making suggestions that the bearing "bolt's up" from the outside??

3- If you ordered a 140-7141 and have bearings, plates and hardware that bolt up from the outside......."YOU HAVE THE WRONG KIT"

4- Where did you get this kit?

5- After reading your post again I am sure your GM rear-end has been "C-Clip eliminated".

6- If I am perhaps misinterpreting your post, then the 2.81" offset will work with any 12 bolt (with c-clips) when offset is in doubt.

7- Since you are stating that your offset is 2.75, to end up with the caliper center over the rotor (sinced it is of the "fixed position" style) you will need to use the shims that were included with this kit (part number 240-2259 shown as item "6" on your parts list), to correctly center the caliper of the rotor.

8- If I were you I would not install spacers between the axle face (as you call it) and the hat section of the rotor, to solve this issue.

9- If you do in fact have a c-clip eliminated kit, get the right kit!

Thanks

1-Ponitac diff-No c - clip never had one.

2-3- Yes I now realise I have the wrong kit BUT
      the kit I should have is 140-7578 & idem 2 retainer, bearing has "lip"
      that lip would be 4mm my spacer does the same job (I made a 2nd set of spacers (bering retainer) "full circle" that i will install when-if i need to replace bearing-s.
      If you want Ill buy a 250-7549 item no 2
      Im not sure but the bracket kit (other diffrence) #249-7574/75
      may not fit rear housing therefore 250-7549 retainer would also not fit?
      bracket kit 279-7114/15 (that I got)fits onto rear housing.

4- Summet (me)

7- the rotor hits the caliper bracket. Needs 2.5mm to clear and then need 4 shims to center caliper. (3mm total)

8-If i install spacer(3mm) between axle flange and rotor it will look like the axle is thicker I woukd press 1/2" lug studs through both axle and machined spacer. I want 1/2" because I have in box wilwood front hub kit that has 1/2" studs.

9-see 2-3

There are other parts you can help-supply me with so Ill call you.

Thanks Bill

Yes, call me. I'll help you get this worked out.
      Laramie Torres

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com