Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

urethane vs polyurethanev vs rubber bushings difference

Can someone help educate me more on what is the difference between urethane vs polyurethane vs rubber bushings?

Also would be curious to know what products / grease can be used to install these types of bushings?

I was told that Wd40 Silicone can be used for rubber bushings (body mount) and suspension parts to help against cracking / drying out.

For polyurethane - Energy Suspension has a grease that is used for bushing installation.

What about urethane - was told that dielectric grease can be used for installation.

Thanks

afaik, rubber is softer and will flex more. Guys make the transition to poly bushings to tighten everything up, whether its body mounts, A-arm bushings or the bushings in your sway bar. The only down side I have heard is that they can be noisy. My daughter has a 350Z with poly swaybar bushings and they squeek. They just need to be lubed more. Poly will also, because they are stiffer, transfer more energy. IOW, they will make the car ride harder or transfer more road noise and/or chassis noise into the cockpit. It's a tradeoff, like most things. They may be great in the suspension, but you may prefer rubber in the body bushings. Just think about where you really want that extra firmness.

Country Flag: United States
      Technically urethane and polyurethane are different. "Poly" = many, and polyurethane is really made up of many urethane compounds linked together to create desired properties. But in the suspension component world I believe they use them interchangeably (it's all really polyurethane).

In general, compared to rubbers, polyurethanes are higher shore harness, making them stiffer (less deflection). I say "in general" because the properties can be varied within a certain range for each of them. Polyurethane is also stronger, and more resistant to the elements. So on the plus side, they will improve handling and longevity; but at the cost of potential noise and ride quality.

For grease, just use whatever is recommend by the manufacturer.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Recently I discovered another option out there. I don't think I'm allowed to post the manufacturer here, because they're not a pro-touring.com sponsor/participant, but it's an interesting bushing construction. Inside, the usual steel sleeve which surrounds the bolt to prevent crush. That's surrounded by a Delrin sleeve to prevent the stiction and squeaking common in polyurethane bushing. Around that, polyurethane to lower the durometer (hardness) of the overall assembly and allow a small amount of flex for things which aren't a perfect pivot. They aren't available in a lot of external diameters, but they machine the Delrin sleeves for 1/2" or 9/16" bolts and will build them to custom widths upon request.

Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

I've heard people wrapping poly bushings in a single layer of teflon tape and then grease over that, eliminates stiction and no squeaks.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
      Recently I discovered another option out there. I don't think I'm allowed to post the manufacturer here, because they're not a pro-touring.com sponsor/participant, but it's an interesting bushing construction. Inside, the usual steel sleeve which surrounds the bolt to prevent crush. That's surrounded by a Delrin sleeve to prevent the stiction and squeaking common in polyurethane bushing. Around that, polyurethane to lower the durometer (hardness) of the overall assembly and allow a small amount of flex for things which aren't a perfect pivot. They aren't available in a lot of external diameters, but they machine the Delrin sleeves for 1/2" or 9/16" bolts and will build them to custom widths upon request.
      No need to keep it a secret. Not breaking any rules telling us who it is and posting a link. I am curious.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      No need to keep it a secret. Not breaking any rules telling us who it is and posting a link. I am curious.

Don
      Very well then, here it is. https://www.cheperformance.com/pages...l-arm-bushings

They're a small, family-owned business, seem to be well thought of in their chosen market, and it's a product I think could be useful in a lot of circumstances.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Urethane is prone to higher friction under load. It will make you car ride like it has stiffer springs. If it isn't greaseable, forget it. Silicone grease is used on it.

Rubber is good on a street driver but the current stuff seems to not last as long as OEM rubber bushings. Rubber deflects and remember the Camaro was designed for 5" wide tires and low cornering loads. I think there is a rubber lube available. I'd be careful on what you put on it. Most sprays are bad for rubber.

Delrin is good stuff. Low friction, long life, it transmits road shocks more but only like 10% more according to what I've read. Use a high quality synthetic grease.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com