Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Sniper back to a Carb

I installed a Holley Sniper in 2018 and have had nothing but problems with it. I’m thinking of going back to an Edelbrock Carb as I had one on before and never had any issues with it. My question is that I just installed a new in-tank fuel pump that I know would flow too much gph. Walbro makes fuel pumps for this install but I didn’t find the specific one I need, if I go back to a mechanical fuel pump can I leave the electric fuel pump in as it’s a bear to remove the fuel tank, buy all new hardware and reinstall in a 1969 Camaro

Country Flag: United States
      You don't have to change the pump. GPH is horsepower related and that isn't changing. You just need a quality bypass regulator set for carburetor pressures and a return line.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

This fuel pump is rated at 67 gph, isn’t that too much? I know I’d have to run a fuel pressure regulator with a return, that would be the easiest option

The Sniper was probably running ~60psi, and you'll need to regulate it down to 5.5psi for the Edelbrock. That means the pump flow will go up significantly from what it was intended for. Definitely check with a fuel gage between the return to make sure that much return flow isn't causing an increase in system pressure at idle. The regulator and/or return line size may not be setup for that high of flow to regulate.

Name:  s-l1600.png
Views: 324
Size:  180.9 KB
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I could always run my mechanical fuel pump, could I just leave that expensive electric fuel pump in without it obstructing the flow? That thing was a lot of work to install

Don't do that, you will have a bad time.

I have done at least 10 carbs with 255s in the tank and a quality bypass regulator from Aeromotive or Holley. It will work perfect.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Sniper

I contacted Holley, I’m going to give them one more try. I’m to ship it back to them, I’ll see what happens from them and keep this posted. I’m still going to keep my Edelbrock ready and buy a good fuel pressure regulator as my back up

Ok, I received my Sniper back from Holley today. I’m going to take my time reinstalling back on to make sure everything is in order. Anybody have any advice on tips for it to work properly? I will say that it always sounded like it was sucking a lot of air, more than usual. I saw on Facebook where a guy recommended installing a carborater plate to separate all for ports for no vacumn leaks from the rear ports.

Did you use their recommended small orifice PCV valve? You have a big vacuum leak otherwise.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

What intake are you running, they seam to run best on single plane vs dual planes, people typically run single open spacer on dual planes.. also shielding the wires that are close to distributor or plug wires.

To answer the previous 2 postings, I’m running a single plane intake and a stock PVC, didn’t know anything about PVC but it makes sense.
      Now for the Sniper issue, sent it off to Holley and as usual I had it back within 2-3 weeks, looked exactly like I sent it off. No paper work on work that was done so I emailed them and got a response stating that they couldn’t find anything wrong so they “re-flashed” it. I reinstalled it, same problem, doesn’t start and the screen will go dead. I’m going to keep working on this Sniper to see if I missed anything.
      I’m seriously thinking of just going back to my Edelbrock carborater as I never had any problems with that for years. I do like the throttle response I got out of the EFI and efficiency WHEN IT WORKED!
      Anybody have any opinions on the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4? Holley does offer a Sniper 2 conversion but I’m scepticle about going back to the same problems I’ve had with those.

Try the correct recommended PCV valve.

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com