Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Speedtech torque arm rear vs BMR second gen Camaro

Hey guys,

Wanting to replace my old ridetech 4 link setup with something new.

speedtech setup is about $6000 (including 9” ford housing/ axles/jri shocks)

Bmr setup is about $3400 plus about $4800 shipped.

speedtech is panhard vs the watts link on the Bmr.

Just a street car, spirited driving in twisties but no tracking.

btw my front setup is a AME subframe.

thanks

Country Flag: United States
      I've had the BMR on my car since 2009 and LOVE it!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Wow surprised there hasnt been an update to the setup for over 15 years. One things for sure, their customer service is horrible. I emailed them over a week ago and no response, while speedtech got back to me in 24 hours.

Oldflm did you weld it in?

Thanks

Bolted mine in... there have been several updates by BMR over the past 15 years.
      They continue to update and evolve their products... I've been very happy with BMR and their customer service.
      Not sure what more you're looking for with a watts link and/or torque arm... Good luck with whatever you pick.

Name:  IMG_8183_small.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  192.8 KBName:  039.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  302.4 KB
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Welded mine in

Name:  6079B91F-92BF-40FA-988A-9534DE172295_1_105_c.jpeg
Views: 274
Size:  264.8 KB

I would also be looking to compare the front mount. Does it have plunge along with twist capability?

What is your primary goal of changing the suspension exactly? What is your ride tech not doing you want the torque arm to accomplish?

I have a torque arm on my 75 made by chassisworks, I essentially have it kitted out to be full track mod with spherical rod ends and such, I believe speedtech and BMR uses poly bushings.

Name:  PXL_20230901_031322935.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  426.4 KBName:  PXL_20230901_031424806.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  367.3 KBName:  PXL_20230416_015417445.jpg
Size:  533.8 KB

What rear end do you have right now? a 10/12bolt or do you already own a ford 9"?

as for the watts link vs panhard bar, on paper a watts link is better. In practice you won't notice the difference as you're not pushing the car to it's limits. A watts link would probably require modification to your exhaust depending on how you have yours currently set up......though adding a torque arm may require you to modify your entire exhaust anyways.

I have the torque arm rear. I haven’t had it long. I’ve only street driven the car with it and also have their front subframe. One articulink began to make noise from within. The insert is threaded and apparently wore enough to cause slop sometime in the 400 miles I had on it. They did replace it. I don’t feel that it won’t happen again due to the internal design. Also the center can only be adjusted up if need be to adjust the pinion angle. It can’t be adjusted downward once altogether without machining.

Not sure about the watts setup but I would definitely look into that and hope you get some honest feedback from those with it and the mileage and experience to give you a good idea of what is involved.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Hey guys appreciate the feedback. The reason to change out my setup is that I have the very first generation ridetech 4 link. It doesn’t even have the anti squat like in their newer setup. The other factor is my 10 bolt rear end isn’t going to hold up to the 800hp that’s about to abuse it. Figured it’s a good time to do a Ford 9”.

Price wise both setups are very similar. It really comes down to preference, the watts setup is very interesting but just don’t want to get into anything complicated to dial in either.

Quote Originally Posted by SPG View Post
      What is your primary goal of changing the suspension exactly? What is your ride tech not doing you want the torque arm to accomplish?

I have a torque arm on my 75 made by chassisworks, I essentially have it kitted out to be full track mod with spherical rod ends and such, I believe speedtech and BMR uses poly bushings.

Name:  PXL_20230901_031322935.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  426.4 KBName:  PXL_20230901_031424806.jpg
Size:  367.3 KBName:  PXL_20230416_015417445.jpg
Size:  533.8 KB

What rear end do you have right now? a 10/12bolt or do you already own a ford 9"?

as for the watts link vs panhard bar, on paper a watts link is better. In practice you won't notice the difference as you're not pushing the car to its limits. A watts link would probably require modification to your exhaust depending on how you have yours currently set up......though adding a torque arm may require you to modify your entire exhaust anyways.
      So is the watts link setup harder to install/setup over the own hard setup? I don’t have an exhaust, it will be custom built.

The car will never be tracked, street driven, spirited driving through the hills at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
      So is the watts link setup harder to install/setup over the own hard setup? I don’t have an exhaust, it will be custom built.

The car will never be tracked, street driven, spirited driving through the hills at the most.
      In terms of install, watts link/panhard bar is about the same, I wouldn't say either one is easier to install than the other.

In terms of packaging though, a watts link is harder to route exhaust around. Depend on where you want it to exit that may be a consideration for you. I plan on making my exhaust exit behind the wheels and I accepted the fact I'm probably going to have to put a lot more time/effort in making that happen.

If you're going with a 9" no matter what, I would say the speedtech torque arm is better than the BMR with how it's designed.

If you want "the best" I would recommend getting a chassisworks torque arm, but the price reflects what you get, especially because it kind of locks you into their ecosystem. (You need to get their subframe connectors, you need to use a 9" housing provided by them etc) And since you just want a fun driving experience, the speedtech torque arm is probably going to do you better especially since you won't be locked into using a special 9" housing made by BMR or chassisworks to support their design.

If you were sticking with your 10 bolt, I would think the BMR would be a better set up for you. But you want a 9" so speedtech/chassisworks makes more sense IMO

Edit: also, chassisworks lets you pick between a watts link or a panhard bar, so if you get a panhard bar, you won't need their 9" housing with the watts link tabs, I just prefer watts links

Went with Speedtech but man does their customer service suck. I have to send multiple emails to get a response even after the fact I ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by tbal View Post
      Went with Speedtech but man does their customer service suck. I have to send multiple emails to get a response even after the fact I ordered.
      I know the quality is really good on Speedtech. Ive got the older Track Time Package. Wish i had the newer Extreme Subframe but the older unit is doing fine. I know alot of people had problems with the rack in the original pro touring setup but most are over pressuring the rack. I only street my car and it does great. Everything absolutely fit like a glove. I had good support from them and I bought my front sub from a guy in Illinois that didnt finish his build, and a a guy in MS that didnt finish his I got the rear Torque Arm from, both new in boxes. I called Speedtech several times and had good help on the line. I did recently email them twice about some shocks and got no reply. Business must be booming.
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Quote Originally Posted by TANKMASTERJ View Post
      I know the quality is really good on Speedtech. Ive got the older Track Time Package. Wish i had the newer Extreme Subframe but the older unit is doing fine. I know alot of people had problems with the rack in the original pro touring setup but most are over pressuring the rack. I only street my car and it does great. Everything absolutely fit like a glove. I had good support from them and I bought my front sub from a guy in Illinois that didnt finish his build, and a a guy in MS that didnt finish his I got the rear Torque Arm from, both new in boxes. I called Speedtech several times and had good help on the line. I did recently email them twice about some shocks and got no reply. Business must be booming.

I think they are just getting to many email inquires. Response has been really good if you call them. Excited to get everything setup.

One major difference in the kits for anyone else looking. Speedtech has to be welded in where BMR does not need to be.

would look at TCI also... great kit I have installed BMR, Speedtech, Speedway, and TCI in my shop and I picked a TCI for my personal car

Name:  365637849_109152035609623_9003247654154968313_n.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  185.3 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      would look at TCI also... great kit I have installed BMR, Speedtech, Speedway, and TCI in my shop and I picked a TCI for my personal car
      What about TCI made you prefer them over others?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com