Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

What would you pay for a 3D solid??

Hi guys,
      Im looking for advice on how much I should charge to model in 3D.
      It's just for a side job, I do this stuff all day long at work but I was just asked to do a few jobs at home. This guy I know works with me but he is starting a business of making custom chopper parts. He will be taking the solids and buzz them out on a CNC machine. I wouldn’t charge him anything if it was for his bike but he will be turning a profit. I just don’t want to be the sucker who does all this work for nothing…
      What would you be willing to pay to see your ideas in 3D, make changes to and get a solid to have a program written?

Thanks

Bill,

I checked with one of the local shops a year or so ago and they were charging $40 an hour for 3D solid models. Just to give you an idea.
      R.J.

Thanks!
      I dont want to screw him over but either do I.

Whatever you feel your time is worth. If you're good, I would charge $65-$80/hr. That's WAY cheaper than you'll get an engineering firm for.
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

I know what they pay me at my job but he's a friend thats getting a business together. Everyone needs a break, besides it gets my name out there to these custom guys.

I just started a Design business last July, doing 3D CAD work, out of my house.
      I purchased a Mach 1 license of Unigraphics which set me back alot cause that software is expensive. I charge $50/hour. Most companies charge $65-85 for any CAD design work.

If he want some CAD files and he is going to make a profit then you either charge up front or come up with a plan that you get a percentage of each part sold.
      Robert Braga
      1969 Camaro LS2/T56 D1SC
      www.automotivedesigneng.com
      US Collision / Mortenson's Custom Touch / DPE Wheel / Tim Bruning / Columbia Parts Company

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 96Z28SS
      If he want some CAD files and he is going to make a profit then you either charge up front or come up with a plan that you get a percentage of each part sold.
      I wouldn't go that route... get a price that BOTH of you feel is fair right up front. The problem with percentage deals is he will "forget" about it. Believe me, it will happen, I don't care how straight up he is. It will also leave you wondering about it too, so just get paid up front and forget it. The other issue is, this is custom work, how many will he actually sell?
      You should probably set a minimum cost up front. I know I can turn stuff around in 3D in a matter of minutes if the parts are fairly simple. Set a minimum (like 1 1/2 hrs) and then a base cost per hour after that. If the parts are simple I can see you making money on the minimum and just forgetting the "per hour" rate.
      Just throwing some ideas out there...
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Thanks for the ideas guys.
      I know about how long it will take me to complete a project so the 1 1/2 hr min. is a great idea. I know he wants to build lots of parts so I know I'll have a good customer in that respect.

Robert,
      How is the buisness going?
      I was thinking that if I ever left Pratt that I would start a design house in my house. I would have to finish my degree first....
      I have a great source for computers at the surplus store. I bought the same computer that i use at work; a dual processor dell 530. This thing works greatfor $375.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by sunkistcamaro
      Thanks for the ideas guys.
      I know about how long it will take me to complete a project so the 1 1/2 hr min. is a great idea. I know he wants to build lots of parts so I know I'll have a good customer in that respect.

Robert,
      How is the buisness going?
      I was thinking that if I ever left Pratt that I would start a design house in my house. I would have to finish my degree first....
      I have a great source for computers at the surplus store. I bought the same computer that i use at work; a dual processor dell 530. This thing works greatfor $375.

Thanks guys!
      Business is going good I'm real busy. I have a couple big projects that wont be complete till the summer. The computer and software is already paid off. Trying to also design some stuff for my car but I don't have much free time.
      Robert Braga
      1969 Camaro LS2/T56 D1SC
      US Collision / Mortenson's Custom Touch / DPE Wheel / Tim Bruning / Columbia Parts Company

Just as another data point, the engineering company I worked for last billed out engineering time in the $80/hr neighborhood for engineers being paid around $30/hr or a bit more.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

Fuel for thought...

I'm glad there's folks out there looking to put their skills to work and make some $$. We've discussed illustrations (renderings) and now CAD. How about FEA? I'm interesting in who I can work with to pass along my CAD designs and have them analyzed. Nothing leagally binding in my case. I'm looking for a basic, yes (or no) that material will work in your application.

Regards,

--JMarsa

Pro/E User

Hi guys,
      Im looking for advice on how much I should charge to model in 3D.
      It's just for a side job, I do this stuff all day long at work but I was just asked to do a few jobs at home. This guy I know works with me but he is starting a business of making custom chopper parts. He will be taking the solids and buzz them out on a CNC machine. I wouldn’t charge him anything if it was for his bike but he will be turning a profit. I just don’t want to be the sucker who does all this work for nothing…
      What would you be willing to pay to see your ideas in 3D, make changes to and get a solid to have a program written?

Thanks
      Bill,

I use pro/e daily for my work and have been doing alittle side work as well, would like topick up some more if i can, though. What software are you using? I was doing stuff for a local guy, very small area, and i was charging him $25 an hour. I was hoping for the $40-$50/hour as well but the small town wont support it. I am able to do both the 3d modeling as well as write the program to run the tool paths for the cnc machine so i can catch it on both sides if needed. Like was said above, put a minumum on the parts and you will do good on just that. If you are good at modling you can crank out alot in a short period of time. Its cool to know there are others here into 3d modeling as well.

Andy
      [email protected]
      Last edited by chevelless502; 02-10-2006 at 07:02 PM. Reason: add more

Hi Andy,
      I’m using UG NX2; I wish I had the time to take the training to learn how to make a cutter path program. Good luck with the side jobs!

Im not sure about NX2 but NX3 has CAM built in. Its pretty easy to figure out what to do if you have a basic understanding of cutters and machining processes. And its very easy to export g-code with. But each CNC machine has its own translation that needs to take place from the g-code so you might need to write a translator for the machine it will be produced on unless the machinist has something or wants to take the time to read through the code and manually input it all with the changes needed.

edit: of course you will need a good knowledge of feeds and speeds for the materials and cutters. A machinists handbook would be a good investment to make as well if your looking to do the CAM side of things too.

Hi Andy,
      I’m using UG NX2; I wish I had the time to take the training to learn how to make a cutter path program. Good luck with the side jobs!
      NX2, man whats taking so long to switch over, I'm using NX4 right now, and NX3 on a project for a company that hasn't made the switch to NX4 yet. The company will make the switch once GM tells them too.
      Robert Braga
      1969 Camaro LS2/T56 D1SC

What is so different from NX3 to NX4? anything big?

Yeah lots of changes.
      One big thing is that datum planes now can be made into anysize you want, before NX decided how big or small they would be.

They change the way you apply taper.

Thats just a couple thing off the top of my head.
      Robert Braga
      1969 Camaro LS2/T56 D1SC

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com