Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States

Goin' Big because I only got one shot at this

Good Morning, and welcome to the Intergalactic Headquarters of Stupider Than We Look Racing. Well, kinda, some might see it as just a big ol’ pole barn, but for me, I GOT PLANS. We’re currently getting the engineering to confirm adequate structure to support 150# snow loads (did I mention we see occasional ummmm weather events here? Like about 160 inches last year.) We anticipate construction start probably in late April/earlyMay after the ground dries out a little.

So I have a big, empty toy box that I need to fill. The leg off to the side is pretty committed (think in terms of a big dance floor…er, office over an area that will include my limited, but hopefully increasing, number of shop tools.

Two items I want to have are a 2 post lift and a moveable 4 post lift. Looking for suggestions on where to permanently site the 2 post lift to make sure I get the floor thick enough (I figure since this is my first shot w/ a 2 post- learn from others.)

I welcome any input suggestions, advice, criticism. The internal configuration is kind of open-ended at this time. Thanks in advance for your help.

Name:  Plan View.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  135.9 KBName:  Front Endwall.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  48.0 KB

I was trying to get a picture of the topography of the area, but I'm in Apache Junction AZ right now trying to get my late Father-In_law's house in order to sell, and it appears that Verizon takes a dim view of providing cell service in the area. Will edit to add a picture when the phone starts cooperating with me
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

I would put the two post lift centered on the overhead door at the back. Easy to push a car into it but not in the way.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Just to close the loop on this, the building is complete (failed final a week ago because of stair railings) Working the railings issue, but will be gone for the next coupla months preping the SOCal house for sale then a south Pacific cruise Footings for the 2 post are @45 degrees to the rear corner opposite the leg
      Name:  Final.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  25.4 KB
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

Building looks great, but the weather looks cold!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Awesome!
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

looks great; looking to do the same in Texas soon

Nice size, should be big enough to work on 4 cars.

I'd suggest putting two large doors on the bottom, not one, as that single center means some multipoint turns to get a car out of the way of the door as that length will not go as far as one might think.

Put an 8 foot wide freight door in the middle of the lean-to area, and a few windows on that side for cross draft. The freight door means you can get a load in without having to move anything. An entry door on the top would also be a good idea, otherwise if you have to go to the outside back of the shop it's a pretty long haul.

A steel plate in the floor would allow you to bolt a winch to the floor using a receiver hitch plate. Install it so it's flat and level with the concrete when not in use. Tell the builder that you want it to be able to handle a 6 ton load, which means it'll be the strongest part of a winched load and your floor won't be what comes apart if something breaks during winching.

A building that size should also have at least a half-bath in it. Just needs to be big enough for a toilet and sink, and some hand cleaner.

Think about some sort of kitchenette for a coffee pot and drinking water. Again, doesn't need to be large, just a single sink and a single plug on a 6 foot cabinet.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else to spend your money.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Nice build for sure.

One thing I can recommend for anyone designing a new building...
      While an "L" shaped building can be more aesthetically pleasing, it is not the most efficient cost per square foot.

You could take the 2 walls that make the "L" & move them outward to make 1 large rectangle with no additional wall material costs.
      In the case above, you could have an additional 619 Sq. Ft. for only the cost of roof & flooring.

I do like the separation possibilities between storage & work areas though.
      It would be nice to only get a portion of the garage dirty & consequentially everything stored in it as well.

Thought about adding water, but I'd need to cross a drain field for septic and code for water is 36" deep (it was -20F for a coupla days this year). I'd need to run about 300 foot around the field- may do that later

Name:  Office 1.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  41.2 KB Name:  Office 2.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  40.9 KB
      Name:  Peeking into office.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  47.0 KB Name:  Lookin in my front door apologies to Creedance.jpg
Size:  50.4 KB

While Lonnie makes an interesting observation about the cost of a L shape vs. a box, I differ with him on the impact on cost. Truss length would go from 36' long to 61- size of the truss member would need to increase, and the roof cost due to the pitch required to meet snow loads (115 lb/sq ft, mines @ 130 lb/sq ft- I'm 2 2250 ft elevation, we get 12-20 ' of snow/year)
      So I either spend big on trusses, or put a coupla columns in the deal. True, to achieve the same square footage, a box is simpler and less expensive than an L. But there are always considerations. To make a square, I'd need to take out one or two trees in the wife's garden...

Planning on the second floor on the floor of the L being an office, and the ground floor machine shop/clean room

Name:  office and backside.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  33.1 KB
      This picture is taken from the other side of the property line, the back of the building. We located 10' off the property line, I doubt I will ever go back here except to keep the grass mowed. The adjacent property in owned by the Chelan-Douglas Land Trust- they have NO sense of humor about impingement on their land. They called out my wife for mowing the grass on a few foot paths between the trees.

Name:  Firstguest.jpg
Size:  24.2 KB

First resident
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

Not knocking your build as it looks very nice, but I wanted to alert others of a potential cost efficiency.
      Your property layout seems to dictate your design as well as other factors.

I started with intents of building a truss style L-shaped design like yours & ultimately ended up with a "red" steel structure.
      I mentioned the rectangular shape because it truly saved me money & I ended up with a much bigger building with a 70ft free span & no internal supports.

I sacrificed having an attic, but I figured my parts hoarding would ultimately have caused a roof collapse anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      Not knocking your build as it looks very nice, but I wanted to alert others of a potential cost efficiency.
      Your property layout seems to dictate your design as well as other factors.

I started with intents of building a truss style L-shaped design like yours & ultimately ended up with a "red" steel structure.
      I mentioned the rectangular shape because it truly saved me money & I ended up with a much bigger building with a 70ft free span & no internal supports.

I sacrificed having an attic, but I figured my parts hoarding would ultimately have caused a roof collapse anyway.
      what is a "red" steel structure building? Pictures?

These are pre-engineered steel buildings with structural steel framing inside as opposed to a pole building or wood framed structure.
      The steel is painted with a red oxide colored paint so many refer to them as red steel buildings.

Name:  IMG_1609 small.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  151.6 KB

Thanks, very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      These are pre-engineered steel buildings with structural steel framing inside as opposed to a pole building or wood framed structure.
      The steel is painted with a red oxide colored paint so many refer to them as red steel buildings.

Name:  IMG_1609 small.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  151.6 KB
      Wow, what a great space.
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Wow, what a great space.
      After 8 years it is quite crowded now.

Lonnie- what part of the country are you in? Most outbuildings here in the Cascades look to be pole buildings. May be because so much farming in the area
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

I live near Pittsburgh, PA.
      I'm fortunate to have a large back yard that has no size restrictions for a building like this.

I liked the ability to have a full foundation, no wood to deteriorate & a shallow roof to keep the overall height within reason.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com