Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

lt1 heads on old 350

i have an old 350 4bolt block that i plan on building this summer.
      now a buddy has an lt1 engine at my shop and we were talking about maybe useing the heads and Intake manifold.
      the thing i want to do is make it a fuel injection style engine, so he's goin to sell me the parts i need if it can be done.

jamie

Country Flag: United States
      I have heard of people putting the LT1 intake on an old block & heads. But not sure if you can put the heads & intake on an old block. The LT1 does not allow water to pass from the heads through the intake as older styles do. Probably could be done, but it sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

Scot
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Try this

Convert LT1 Intake to work with early engiens

http://www.lt1intake.com/services.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Rocket
      Convert LT1 Intake to work with early engiens

http://www.lt1intake.com/services.htm

good link, thats actually pretty interesting
      KENNY DAVIS HOTRODS

But he is talking about using the heads too.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

True, but his last line does say:

the thing i want to do is make it a fuel injection style engine, so he's goin to sell me the parts i need if it can be done.
      So, I assumed this was more his ultimate goal, and therefore, which heads didn't necessarily matter...

new style lt-1 heads donot work on the old style block,and vise vera.the lt-1 heads are reverse flow heads and dont have work passages in to the intake.

actually old SBC heads do work on the LT1s and the fastest LT1s in the country use old school style SBC heads. they are all aftermarkets like Dart and some others that I cant remember. its called a SBC2.2 conversion or something like that. the heads must have work done to them so as to be compatible with the reverse flow cooling of the LT motors. you also have to use a custom sheet metal or heavily modified intake on the vast majority of the heads people use due to the intake valve angle change associated with these heads. it works wonders.

however to answer the original question. you can not put LT heads on a gen1 sbc. getting the intake on has already been posted though. dont forget about the holley stealth ram as a viable option to put EFI onto a gen 1. just get the ECM and wiring harness off any TPI car to control the injectors. youll also want to grab the distributor and MAF although you can tune without a MAF.
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Are you talking about the SB2.2 heads? These are the same heads NASCAR uses. These are all out racing heads and are very expensive. Not only is a custom intake needed but a special camshaft as well. The SB2.2 heads are configured differently than normal heads. They are almost like baby big block heads. The valves are laid out differently.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

maybe im confused on what people call it, i just know that using gen 1 SBC heads on an LT1 is completely doable and works wonders as it allows you many more choices for heads. remember other than opti spark and reverse flow cooling the LT motors are still SBCs. ill do some digging here in a minute and come up with some better answers for the heads im referring to. also just an FYI AFR offers LT heads. they are nothing but converted SBC heads though. AFR makes a run of x number of SBC heads then converts x number to LT style. sometimes you can end up waiting a long time on the heads and if im not mistaken AFR does not do the converting of the heads. they outsource that.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

well i found the info i was thinking of but its not exactly right. i completely brain farted on the AFR227s which is what Joe Overton(faster stock suspended fbody) and Taner Bosnali (sp?, fastest M6 fbody) are currently running. Taner is thinking about changing to a gen 1 SBC head though which is what I am referring to. others are doing the Sb2.2 convertion but that is still different and not what i was referring to. I was also thinking Big Rick(fastest LT1 in the world and a much cooler car than Hardcore's C5R TA that everyone is drooling over) was using Gen 1 heads but appearently he runs AFR215s heavily modified of course. if im not mistaken HPE does the conversion as does a few others. theres actually a thread on Cz28.com about this right now that Taner started if you want to follow it and see what people are saying.
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

It may be possible to put gen 1 heads on an LT1 block, but I think it will be much more difficult to put LT1 heads on a gen 1 block.

Scot
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

yes it would and it really woudnt be worth it. LT heads arent that great even the LT4s just arent when you starting realizing new heads plus porting will easily hit 3k
      Trey

~ Jon Hammond

If you just had to have the ports & chambers of the LT1/4 style head, then look for a set of Vortec truck heads. My understaning is they are the same as the LT1/4 & are reasonable priced. Water passages are the same as a standard small block, but intake bolts are different. An intake for Vortec heads will be needed.
      Scot
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

GM Fastburn heads are basically LT4 heads for a SBC.

Don't try and run a LT1 head on a SBC, waste of time. If you want to run the LT1 heads just run the LT1 block as well.

Yeah guys run all sorts of SBC heads on LT1's, RR 23° heads, 18°, 15° and SB2.2° heads are all common.

TFS and AFR have aftermarket LT1 castings. They are both decent but the wait on the AFR's is a killer.

Bret
      Bauer Racing Engines
      Specializing in late model GM motors

1964 GTO (work in progress for 13 years)
      600 HP 365 cube SBC
      C5 Front Suspension
      Satchel Link Rear
      T56
      Not gettin done anytime soon

2000 Camaro SS SCCA FS Car
      Koni Adjustables
      35mm Front Bar
      DOT Race tires....

This can be done but it does require welding up some water holes in teh Lt1 heads. There is a couple of links on thi si will try to find. However as much as i love teh LT1 the gains't worth the work. Be much easier to just use the LT1 block and make the swap much easier to do. The LT1 block is basically a stard 87+ 1 piece seal block, so with that being said all intenals are interchangeable. So I would suggest just doing a LT1 build up if you wanted to do this. a descent LT1 is very capable of 350 RWHP and still get 25 miles ot teh gallon which is a plus as apposed to carb.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com