Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Can't Restore 68 camaro in driveway due to outrageous city ordinances???

1/27/09*
      Cant restore 68 camaro on driveway due to city ordinance?????
      Hey guys, I am reaching out to a couple of my favorite hang outs as I simply do not know what to do.
      I have been restoring my car out in my driveway since last may..(Mystic Angel Project.)
      Maybe some of you have been following the thread.
      My hometown Mesquite Texas, is on to me about moving my car and thus foiling my plot to restore it or work on it. I do not know what to do, and do not know what can be done if anything legally or otherwise. No this is not an attempt to sell my car, so please dont ask.
      I know the temptation is there to ask. I want to continue to simply work on my car.
      Here is the code:
      Junked Vehicles
      City Code 10-166, & 9-187 prohibits any vehicle that does not have current registration
      and inspection sticker ( have the title and can register it but cant sticker it as its unoperable. The Tax office I said i can title it as unoperble.) and/ or is wrecked, dismantled, discarded or inoperable and has remained unoperable for more than 48 hours on public property or more than 30 days on private property.

Some options I have considered.
      #1. Move the car to a storage facility. That costs $65 a month. The storage option
      is not all that great either as im not allowed to work on the car in the storage area.
      Ie, id have to move it back and forth between home and the storage place (right around the corner.)
      #2. Find a lawyer to assist.
      #3. Move. Dont want to do that as I have been in the same house since 1978.

I am totally at a loss as I simply do not think its fair. I do not have a garage, nor can afford to have one built. If I added anytype of structure it would have city codes.
      I cannot keep the car in the backyard or any unpaved surface as that is forebade as well.
      Any Ideas?/ Thanks Fellas!

-1BADRS aka MY68RS

I Drive a black escalade on http://www.68camaroproject.com

Country Flag: United States
      how about a pole barn or pole tent to "garage" it? It'd be way cheap. and be a sweet loophole.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

and then cut some windows into the tent walls around your car that look like this....

Im talking about one of these. They're usually not that expensive.

Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

hehee thats great Tony!
      Well not sure.
      The person next door to me had basically a covered awning (speller)
      out of frame post and tent material. It did not cover the entire driveway (simply half the driveway) to keep the rain off the neighbors car and the city threw a fit about that even.
      Its like about 15 or 20 feet in length and about 9 feet wide or so and has a peaked roof at the center. The city has some complaint that it was either sticking too far in the driveway, or that it was not legal or some BS. about to call my neighbor as we speak, maybe they have a suggestion. But, Thank for the post as it might be an option. Bad thing is, anything we do has to be approved by the good ol city of Mesquite.
      I wonder if I could get enough supporters to call
      Ms Willice Holand @ 972-329-8711?????????
      And tell them you are outraged that your fellow restoration enthusiast can't continue. LOL
      I dont care at this point if I make em mad and they (city) come haul the car off.. I have had it with the city.
      It gets worse and worse, and not better.
      Just a quick note. That bulding you show would have to have concrete under is as they wont let you place a vehicle on beam or any kind of unpaved surface. Has to be a poured slab.

It's all about the permits. Tell them it's temporary and they should be fair giving you a permit to have it. Your neighbor probably didn't get one.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Looks like the best choice. If they will let me put one on the driveway.

The cities are losing money on property taxes as values fall, and looking to make a little more anywhere they can.

There was a story last night out of Long Beach, California. Police are using an old law regarding commercial vehicles, defined as over 3 tons by the ordinance, and ticketing all 3500 series trucks and the likewise for parking on non truck routes. They have also been told they cannot operate the vehicles off any of the whopping 14 truck routes in the whole city. This law is old, but just started to be enforced. I think $$$ is the big reason.

It really sucks. I have CC&Rs in my neighborhood and it basically comes down to you can't even change an air filter in your driveway. I understand the reasons for these rules. I don't want to live around people with a bunch wrecked or clapped out cars in the front yard/driveway. But they usually go waaay overboard and hurt everyone when they make such restrictive laws.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Quote Originally Posted by 6'9"Witha69 View Post
      I don't want to live around people with a bunch wrecked or clapped out cars in the front yard/driveway. But they usually go waaay overboard and hurt everyone when they make such restrictive laws.
      I understand that too. But, most people with any comon sense would realize the car is not a dented up, rusted rotted out,
      banged up car that nobody wants. Anyway you slice it, its an antique. I think there should be a law that protects the rights of "antiques" alone. Much as how a landmark would protect particular property and said resources and certain bulding structures.
      Im sure there is a way to challenge it and win, I just dont want to go though the time and expense to do so.
      As no lawer would want to challenge a city ordinance, or would laugh for trying to.
      Surely there are tons of people like me though that have the same issues??
      Not everyone has a garage...LOL..

If it cost $65 a month (plus taxes) for a storage unit, plus the money in gas and time going back and forth. See if you can finance a storage shed with a roll-up door for the back yard for $90 a month. Roll it out to work on it and put back in each night.
      RagRat

Chris Costa

Been there brother...right next door in Garland. I finally got tired of being harrased and moved. Now I am in no city limits and no HOA.

does your state make you drive your car in? can you just throw plates and insurance on it?

our local laws say you cant have a car in the driveway that doesn't have a valid plate doesn't say what condition it is.

I would just check out the law and see exactly what it says.
      Chad Read

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADRS View Post
      I cannot keep the car in the backyard or any unpaved surface as that is forebade as well.
      A friend who was running into the same issue (yes, in Mesquite) with storing a boat said that he went to Home Depot and got some of those 24" concrete paving stones, and put the wheels on that, and that the city said that was sufficient to make it a paved surface. However, he did have some issues with "honesty" so he may have been full of it.

The big thing about them dinging you on having it in the backyard/unpaved surface is them being able to see that it's there (or the neighbors reporting you).

Hell...I agree with the city. Nothing personal but most guys that rebuild stuff in there driveway make a mess and leave it. Imagine driving through your home town and seing that in every other driveway. Build a garage or similar.
      Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
      Hell...I agree with the city. Nothing personal but most guys that rebuild stuff in there driveway make a mess and leave it. Imagine driving through your home town and seing that in every other driveway. Build a garage or similar.
      Oh, please this is just like every other stupid law in the books, where a handful of people piss others off, and a government official goes overboard by passing a law to stop them, while in the process screwing others. This law isn't doing much to stop the actual problem, but it is causing issues for those trying to do a positive thing. You pay the taxes and you pay for the house, so there's no reason why they need to tell what to do with your stuff on your property.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Hey..I am a car enthusiast and built my car in the garage and definitely not one of those guys. However, if you own a property within a township or subject to CC+R's and didn't do your homework prior to buying should you be able to break the rules? I for one wouldn't want my neighbor to have a mess in his driveway next to my house when I'm trying to sell it. (Not saying badrs does)
      Todd

It looks as though your house may have had a garage door where the windows are now. If so, it may be time to convert back?
      Bryan Campbell

70 Opel GT 462 Buick powered (Sold)
      75 Buick Gran Sport
      85 Buick Grand National
      86 Buick Grand National (Sold)
      87 Buick Grand National (Sold)
      05 Lotus Elise

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked Em View Post
      It looks as though your house may have had a garage door where the windows are now. If so, it may be time to convert back?
      And have to have the city of Mesquite come back and do a final inspection on it??
      He hehe.. no.. no thank you..
      No, when we moved here in 78, it was already converted.
      Yall guys have some great ideas though.

Im going down to the hardware store and check some prices on small enclosures for the time being.

Ok.. I have ten days to decide something or moving it.
      Boss (chief code inspector Ted Perez) told me to call building inspection to see If one of those "garage in a box" would be ok. He said that if building inspection was ok with it, that he was ok with it.
      So I can start making plans to put it out back for a while.
      :yes:

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
      Hey..I am a car enthusiast and built my car in the garage and definitely not one of those guys. However, if you own a property within a township or subject to CC+R's and didn't do your homework prior to buying should you be able to break the rules? I for one wouldn't want my neighbor to have a mess in his driveway next to my house when I'm trying to sell it. (Not saying badrs does)
      First of all... proud of you that you can afford a garage. I guess if you can't you shouldn't be allowed to build a car.

Second, I didn't say he should be allowed to break them, I said it's ridiculous that in a so-called "free nation", rules like that even exist.

And did you really try to say everyone should be sure to check ordinances before purchasing a house, on the off-chance they decide to build a car later? Seriously?

I like the old "oh, my property values, my property values" ... well tell you what, when I'm not selling my house I want the darn property values low... it lowers my taxes. Exactly how often are you selling your house anyways?

He's probably one guy in the entire city doing this. Do you really feel this problem would run rampant if these laws did not exist? Because that's what your implying. If so, then prove it. Find a city that doesn't have this ordinance and take a photo of a block that has more than one person restoring a car without a garage. According to you if the city doesn't have the ordinance it should be rather common.

We have people dying overseas for our so-called freedom so that nosy neighbors can tell others what to do on their own property (I guess so it doesn't affect property values). Doesn't sound free to me.

It's not like he's selling crack out of it.

One more thing, a real car guy would rather see a car restored outside, than watch it go to the crusher.

P.S. I have a garage, and have never had run-in from the neighbors about my property because I do keep it nice. And I love living in an area where every lawn looks like a golfcourse, and everything is nice and tidy. I just don't believe in stomping on other people rights in order to get it.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADRS View Post
      Ok.. I have ten days to decide something or moving it.
      Boss (chief code inspector Ted Perez) told me to call building inspection to see If one of those "garage in a box" would be ok. He said that if building inspection was ok with it, that he was ok with it.
      So I can start making plans to put it out back for a while.
      :yes:
      If you go with the pop up garage I would just play dumb. Find out what permits are needed (My father had to pay around $100.00 for a permit to have it) pay it, post it, and forget about it. Don't disclose more information to the building inspector then you have to.

Good luck

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com