Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

T56 advice needed

I currently have an LS style T56 in my camaro. I bought it back in 2010, and like many things you learn stuff the second time around. The car has an LS3 (with 228/240/.600 cam) and 3.89 gears and 25.5" tall rear tires. The setup has run great over the past few years but I have always wanted a magnum with the 2.6 first gear. My current trans is a Tick stage 2 2.97 F-body unit. There is nothing wrong with my current trans except with my current rear gears first gear isn't really useful and the cam doesn't seem to like to run below 2000 rpm (lugs) on the highway. The car is a street cruiser and autoX every couple of months. Just trying to get a second opinion before I drop some $ on another setup. Would the close ratio unit be a better choice for me? Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Country Flag: Canada
      If everything works good , why not change you diff gearing to something like a 3.55 or 3.42, it would let you stay in 1st a lot longer.

Above: We run similar setup with 3.50 rear gear and it is great. Also, check your timing. LS3 with similar cam (235/239 .627"/.624) likes advance (30'+) to temper surging.

The smooth shifting quality of the T56 Magnum will be no comparison to the older style T56. The 2.66 version Magnum has perfect gear spacing. I say go for it.

You need to shorten the driveshaft about 2" and add a 31 spline yoke. You can either modify the shifter that comes with it to work in your car.... or buy an aftermarket one $350). VSS plug is different.

Your current 3.89 gears and 25.5" tire will be perfect with the newer T56 Magnum. Plus you can sell your current transmission and recoup some $$$. The fact that it has been rebuilt and the new buyer could test drive it is icing on the cake.
      69 Chevelle 1000hp turbo LS, T56 Mag, JRi coilovers, Watts/torque arm 9", 14" Wilwoods, Recaro CTSv seats, cromo cage, a/c, p/s, built by Coffey Fab Nashville, TN.
      93 RX-7 1200hp turbo LS9, T56 Mag, 8.8", 9.3@163mph + 197mph 1/2 mile

Yeah, I went and drove a buddy's 69 LS3 (480hp crate) with the close ratio magnum and 3:73s today. I like the shifting better with the magnum. I just bought the Holley swap stuff to redo my LS install (from 2010) and will be saving for the magnum now. Thanks for all of the input from everyone!
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com