Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Stealth Engine Bay Heat Venting

has anyone had success venting heat through rear inner fender wells?
      i don't want to cut up my hood or outer fenders.
      as i understand it heat currently vents through the side lower ports of the fenders just front of the firewall.
      i wonder if cutting a section out in this same area and bending into flap to capture incoming radiator air flow and direct into outer fender well would assist without creating odd aero lift or push at higher speeds.

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Hey
      What about venting at top of fire wall out through cowl?
      Just a thought as hot air always wants to rise
      Cheers
      Damien
      Napier, New Zealand
      Project Page: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?99096-Project-Camaro-68-P-T-Muscle
      Next Project: 1956 Chevy Truck, Full C3 Suspension, Nascar Inspired

i think that would work for low speed and stop and go traffic but if not mistaken the high pressure at base of windshield would prevent any real evacuation at cowl and may even intake fresh air when it exceeds pressure of the engine bay, suppose could induce fresh air at high speed.

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Quote Originally Posted by MAGONSTERZ68 View Post
      i think that would work for low speed and stop and go traffic but if not mistaken the high pressure at base of windshield would prevent any real evacuation at cowl and may even intake fresh air when it exceeds pressure of the engine bay, suppose could induce fresh air at high speed.
      You make a good point. I want to 3D scan my car and get into aero design.

I would test the pressure differential in the spot you are considering before doing any cutting. If you have good pressure differential it would work. If you don't then it's a mistake. I used a magnehelic gauge to do that for my hood vent placement.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

have any pics of finished product?
      thx

have any pics of finished product?
      thx
      Finished pics of the hood vent install are here.

If you are asking about using the magnehelic gauage to determine placement then check out the post I made here: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...11#post1147911
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

has anyone had success venting heat through rear inner fender wells?
      i don't want to cut up my hood or outer fenders.
      as i understand it heat currently vents through the side lower ports of the fenders just front of the firewall.
      i wonder if cutting a section out in this same area and bending into flap to capture incoming radiator air flow and direct into outer fender well would assist without creating odd aero lift or push at higher speeds.
      What kind of car? If it has astro ventilation you might be able to take advantage of some of the existing ducting. It routes both inside and at the outer bottoms of the fender wells.

vents look great and seem to function well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      What kind of car? If it has astro ventilation you might be able to take advantage of some of the existing ducting. It routes both inside and at the outer bottoms of the fender wells.
      68 camaro convertible, asto has been eliminated due to vintage air install

vents look great and seem to function well.

- - - Updated - - -

68 camaro convertible, asto has been eliminated due to vintage air install
      Mine are too but I used the kick panel openings for speakers and fabricated a blank off plate at the cowl to keep from building pressure behind them. If you left the cowl grill in place then you likely still have a significant pressure differential between there and the lower drain holes. Since it is that way by design, you may be able to take advantage of it.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com