Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Question on converting LS7 to wet sump...

I'm converting my LS7 to a wet sump and most of the parts are from an LS3. When all is said and done, is my engine an LS3 from the face of the block forward?

I'm asking because I'm starting to look at front accessory drives and want to make sure i order the right kit and parts.

Thanks in advance!

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      I'm converting my LS7 to a wet sump and most of the parts are from an LS3. When all is said and done, is my engine an LS3 from the face of the block forward?

I'm asking because I'm starting to look at front accessory drives and want to make sure i order the right kit and parts.

Thanks in advance!
      Hey John
      Not sure if this helps, but I'm pretty sure they are the same. You will need an ls3 bottom pulley. I put ls7 style wet sump on my ls3 and ordered the GM performance ls3/ls7 front drive. Fitted perfect.
      Name:  15740895_10209932952695101_6535633732693309852_n.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  131.3 KB
      Damien
      Napier, New Zealand
      Project Page: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?99096-Project-Camaro-68-P-T-Muscle
      Next Project: 1956 Chevy Truck, Full C3 Suspension, Nascar Inspired

The LS7 crank snout is longer than the LS3. I'm in the process now of converting mine. I bought a crank spacer from scoggin-dickey, but I'm not quite ready to put it back together. I should be at that point in a couple weeks. I'll be running the new holley mid-mount acc drive w LS3 pulley. The spacer should allow the crank pulley to be spaced correctly for everything to line up. I have not read thru the instructions yet, but id think the spacer would be installed after the balancer is installed.

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Quote Originally Posted by Z06vet View Post
      The LS7 crank snout is longer than the LS3. I'm in the process now of converting mine. I bought a crank spacer from scoggin-dickey, but I'm not quite ready to put it back together. I should be at that point in a couple weeks. I'll be running the new holley mid-mount acc drive w LS3 pulley. The spacer should allow the crank pulley to be spaced correctly for everything to line up. I have not read thru the instructions yet, but id think the spacer would be installed after the balancer is installed.
      Ah. Yeah make a great point. Found this, looks pretty good
      http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-ls7-wet-sump/
      Damien
      Napier, New Zealand
      Project Page: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?99096-Project-Camaro-68-P-T-Muscle
      Next Project: 1956 Chevy Truck, Full C3 Suspension, Nascar Inspired

Thanks for the replies so far.

I too am looking at the Holley Mid Mount set up. I ask because the price for the LS7 set up is significantly more than your regular LS setup. Yeah the LS7 kit only comes in the premium version, but its nice to know if I can save a few bucks and get the plain LS version.

The accessories are the same....the balancer ribs are located in the same location as wet sump ls3. The LS7 balancer is “backspaced” like a tire/wheel because the crank snout is longer. The spacer isn’t for the balancer, it’s to take up the snout length for the bolt to sit on.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Thanks for the replies so far.

I too am looking at the Holley Mid Mount set up. I ask because the price for the LS7 set up is significantly more than your regular LS setup. Yeah the LS7 kit only comes in the premium version, but its nice to know if I can save a few bucks and get the plain LS version.

The balancer is going to be different, and it’s assumed it’s a dry sump. The LS7 is a 7000rpm engine, it’s gonna require the balancer to be set up differently by ATI. If you do a conversion on the LS7, you need the LS3 kit, but I would have ATI tune the balancer for the LS7

1970 Camaro/DSE build

Z06vet-

Did you ever get your front accessory drive bolted up? Any feed back?

Thanks!

I did, about a week ago. Everything works for the LS3 setup, using the spacer between the crank bolt & the balancer

Nice! Looks great! I was just checking Holley's site and see they make a "race" version now. Same design, just minus the AC compressor and you can even get it without PS. Pretty slick setup. You happy with it?

Nice! Looks great! I was just checking Holley's site and see they make a "race" version now. Same design, just minus the AC compressor and you can even get it without PS. Pretty slick setup. You happy with it?
      There is some feedback about the Holley kit in this LS forum. The kit is made is China like a lot of their stuff, he has some complaints about the hardware, black coating not being the best etc. If it was between this and the VA kit, I would get the VA kit.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Link to forum?

1970 Camaro/DSE build

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com