Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Chicane bracket,spc lca,and ridetech coilovers...help.

As stated above,these parts are for my 72 chevelle.
      Well heres my issue.
      NOTED: GM SHORT SPINDLE WITH HOWE TALL .9 UPPER B.J.
      .5 TALLER UPPER BJ.

I mocked up the lca,which has a 1.00 drop built into the spring pocket,but you need to use a 1/4 plate in the pocket to disperse the load of the Coil over tee bar mount which measures 5/8 od divided in half is 5/16.

I set my car at my desired ride height,pictures posted below.

Then measured to see what stroke I need.
      The shock I might be choosing are a 4.1 stroke shock which calls out for the ride height to be 12.5, well I measured and it comes out to 12.750,that's from the center line of the chicane upper bracket,to the center of the lower 5/8 tee bar mount.

Now here's my problem
      speedtech said the chicane with there lower a arms with the stock spring bucket placement,uses a 5.3 stock stroke????what's going on here??
      I see no way of using that stroke shock,especially when these arms have a 1.00 drop,and I'm only getting 12.750 ride height.

And if you can see by the pic also the control arms has a lot of angle,is this normal?
      Car is level,as is the tire to the ground.
      The bump stop is 1.00 away from touching the frame.
      I'm running sc&c stage2 plus kit,tall .9 upper ball joint,.5 lower ball joint,and upper adjustable arms.

Will the 4.1 ridetech shock with the 12.5 ride height be fine?
      If I knew the chicane was so much trouble to install I would have went with the stud mounted ridetechs.

Last edited by chevelletiger; 07-14-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Bj.heights
      72 chevelle.

Pics
      Attached Images Attached Images        
      72 chevelle.

More pics.
      Arms are not flat with the ground at this ride height,if they are
      This thing sits like a 4x4.
      72 chevelle.

what size is that tire? focusing on the relationship of the wheel well to the top of the tire is usually the fastest way to run into trouble.
      How are you determining the lower A-arm being flat or not? because flat would mean the inner pivot point (bushing) is at the same height as the outer pivot (ball joint pivot)
      Typically if a control arm has 1" drop built in that means the spring bucket is only 1/2" lower than in the stock control arm (1" is at the wheel) so as you take measurements at the spring you are already 1/2" off .
      " speedtech said the chicane with their lower a arms with the stock spring bucket placement " from this statement it sounds like Speedtech knows what is needed to work with the SPC lower control arms, I would say that you do not need the re-enforcement plate with the SPC lower arms, those are for stock GM arms, it also looks like your tape measure is on top of the washer so add up the re-enforcement plate, the washer and you have close to 1/2".
      The difference between a 4.1 stoke shock and a 5.3 is 1.2" divided by 2 = .6 at static ride height, close enough to 1/2" , add up manufacturing tolerances and not trying to run so low with a short tire and you should be good.

BTW does it look like your lower ball joint is not seated all the way...check that !
      Last edited by 79T/Aman; 07-14-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

What he said ^^^^^^^
      and i also noticed the ball joint
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Tire is a 275 35 18,ball joint is seated guys.
      72 chevelle.

that tire is about 25 1/2" tall the car was designed to use a 27 3/8" tall tire with 3" of gap between the tire and fender, the way you want to run it the frame has to be 4"+ lower than stock, can't expect to do that with a few bolt on parts and I bet any other A-body you see running that low have dropped spindles.

Ok.
      The ball joint are tall so that drops it too.
      I think 3/4,I'll look into drop spindles I suppose.
      So when I set this up how much higher does my car need to be?
      I know the red chevelle that has the speedtech parts is using Ats tall spindles but I know those spindle are not a 2 inch drop.
      So from if I raise my ride height up,and eliminate the 1/4 reinforcement plate I should be able to run a 5.2 stroke shock,correct?
      72 chevelle.

don't focus on the amount of drop and don't use other cars as reference, or who, how did what, other cars can be used as ideas but if you are going to piece together something ya gonna need to put on your thinking cap and yes it involves math ;-)

" I would say that you do not need the re-enforcement plate with the SPC lower arms, those are for stock GM arms"
      I would have to disagree,the instructions state the plate needs to be used with the coilovers.
      72 chevelle.

Bear in mind my car hasn't been aligned yet, but my angle is similar. I have the new SPC lowers, SPC uppers and ATS tall spindles. My ridetech coilovers were purchased before I had the SPC lowers so they were for a lower with a stock pocket depth.

Name:  Photo Jul 14, 12 35 08 PM.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  184.8 KB
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      " I would say that you do not need the re-enforcement plate with the SPC lower arms, those are for stock GM arms"
      I would have to disagree,the instructions state the plate needs to be used with the coilovers.
      are the instructions that say you need the plate for the coil overs or for the SPC arms? IMHO if SPC made the lower A-arms too thin to be able to use either a std. coil or a coil over they really screwed up their design.
      The 1" lower feature of the SPC lower arm would only apply only to a conventional coil spring not a coil over.

Spc instructions for
      Part# is 94344 below.
      It can be seen better online.

The plate is 3/16 thick,so not sure that they screwed up.
      I measured again without the 1/4 plate and to the center of the 5/8 tee bar,to the center hole of the chicane bracket is 13.375@ the ride height I set it to,which I raised maybe a 1/2 More then the picture I posted.
      What you said about not setting up the tire in relation to the fender opening,is opposite of what ridetech tech line told me?

I would like to note i received an email from mark@sc&c.
      I sent him pictures and he said the arms looked right on the center line of the bushing pick up point and the center of the lower ball joint.
      Last edited by chevelletiger; 07-14-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Instructions
      72 chevelle.

Chris,Not that im going to use your stroke shock or spring length,but could you share that?
      Also did you use the lower coilover over plate?
      Would be interesting to know.

I would like some help,constructive help

I don't set up suspension for a living,some
      Constructive help instead of a more negative then positive posts.

Have you cycled the suspension with those coilovers yet chris?
      I'm just curious.
      Last edited by chevelletiger; 07-14-2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Deleted some lines
      72 chevelle.

Chris,Not that im going to use your stroke shock or spring length,but could you share that?
      Also did you use the lower cook over plate?

I'm just curious.
      I'm not sure what their stock stroke and spring length is, but I'm sure we could get that from ridetech. These would be their stock coilover for an A body without their Strong Arms. I am using the SPC coilover plate and I have cycled the suspension. I have driven the car around the block a few times and actually had to raise the car a little because its settling.

Chris--

Thanks chris,I forgot too that your using a stock upper mount,not the chicane.

I'll probably talk to mark again to see what ridetech shocks I need,since he's the expert on the abodies running this set up.
      Did you raise the height by the coil over collar,or you added another plate?
      72 chevelle.

Thanks chris,I forgot too that your using a stock upper mount,not the chicane.

I'll probably talk to mark again to see what ridetech shocks I need,since he's the expert on the abodies running this set up.
      Did you raise the height by the coil over collar,or you added another plate?
      I do have a second set of plates installed and I raised the coilover.

Chris--

We (ridetech) do not make a coil over specific for the OE lower control arm. It is our feeling that the stroke which is provided by a monotube shock absorber in an OE fitment is too short and will result in poor ride quality as the car will bottom out more easily, or you'll run a very heavy spring rate to mitigate bottoming. Not to mention the OE control arm will fail as it's not thick enough. Remember, that is looking at the OE control arm only. . .I have no input on the aftermarket parts used here as I've not installed them myself.

This is actually pretty simple. . .
      -loosely bolt everything together (do not install the spring on the coil over as you want to be able to cycle the suspension up and down through it's full travel range)
      -using a jack in the middle of front cross member raise the vehicle until the lower control arm is flat (this means the inner pivot point at the frame and the center of the ball joint are in a straight line and are parallel with the floor. If you need a picture I can make/find one) This is ride height. The lower control arms are at the "end of the arc" so to speak. If the suspension compresses they climb the arc up, if the suspension extends they follow the arc down.
      -General rule is that at the intended ride height NOTHING hangs lower than 4" from the ground. If it does, move it. If it's major (like a frame cross member) you'll need to raise the vehicle.

-Measure the distance between the center of the lower coil over mount to the center of the upper coil over mount (you stated you measured 12.75")
      -go here, choose the shock(s) close to this ride height dimension: https://www.ridetech.com/application...le-adjustable/
      -You'll see the 4.1" eye/eye stroke shock has a ride height of 12.5", extended of 14.23" and compressed of 10.13" (the 5.2" stroke has a ride height of 14.5", and is too long for this application) (Do not get hung up on stroke. . .the motion ratio of that vehicle is roughly 2:1, so theoretically the 4.1" stroke will provide 8.2" of wheel travel)
      -General rule of thumb is to have 5 inches minimum wheel travel. 60% of that travel should be for compression, 40% for extension. So if you use the 4.1" stroke shock, you'll have 1.48" shock shaft showing (14.23-12.75=1.48). Motion ratio around 2:1, you have a theoretical compression travel of 2.96" at the shock (5.92" at the wheel) and rebound travel of 1.14" at the shock (2.28" at the wheel).
      -Now, I keep saying theoretical as you still have bump stops and ball joints to worry about

-so once you have the shock in there without a spring, move the suspension through it's travel noting what hits (might be the tire in the fender or inner fender well, might be the bumpstop, might be the coil over fully extended or bottoming out) You want to make sure bump stops or coil over stops travel before the ball joints reach bind. If the ball joints bind first they will fail and the wheel will come off the car!

Britt,I did raise my ride height a little from the photos I posted,I have the ride height at 13.375 now.
      I will do as you stated above today and cycle everything for sure.
      I just got off the phone with josh,and gave him my number.
      He said I should be good but will test everything before finalizing everything
      The gentlemen at ridetech have been a big help thank you for helping me learn how to set up for my application.
      72 chevelle.

Also did you use the lower cook over plate?

I'm just curious.
      what negative post are you seeing?,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com