Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
      Well I am coming at this from the other side. I have a PT 68' Camaro that I just finished up and will most definitely be hitting a couple local cruise nights - Chatterbox in Augusta, NJ every Saturday afternoon-evening, Cops and Rodders at the Lowe's plaza in Hackettstown, NJ every Thursday evening and Cars and Coffee in Bethlehem, Pa at Steel Stacks. Also planning on hitting One or both of the Big shows - Lead East in Parsippany, NJ and/or Dead Man's Curve in Mahwah, NJ.
      One thing I will say is that the weather has sucked lately. My car will not even roll out of the garage at the hint of rain. That alone has caused me to miss a few shows already.
      I almost went to chatterbox last night. But rain..... its an hour 1/2 from me.

Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

I've been trying to figure out what to do for a couple years now (and of coarse lurking here and LateralG)and ended up doing my build purely by chance. I was looking for a 66 or 67 Chevelle to make a fun driver out of and after looking at a ton of rusty, crappy junk I bought a 36K mile 300 sedan. I changed direction and called the nice folks at Schwartz to build me one of their chassis to lay my body and 572 and TKO 600 into. I don't think I would call it a P/T, but it sure as hell isn't gonna sit much at shows. There is zero presence of P/T out here besides one buddy that has a 66 Nova built to drive. Besides all that, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly Pro Tour is besides a really, really expensive build. LOL I'm kinda going for a bolt together setup because I have zero fab skilz, not a lot of cash, and like to do my own wrenching. We'll see how this goes....

Quote Originally Posted by shelteredchevelle View Post
      I've been trying to figure out what to do for a couple years now (and of coarse lurking here and LateralG)and ended up doing my build purely by chance. I was looking for a 66 or 67 Chevelle to make a fun driver out of and after looking at a ton of rusty, crappy junk I bought a 36K mile 300 sedan. I changed direction and called the nice folks at Schwartz to build me one of their chassis to lay my body and 572 and TKO 600 into. I don't think I would call it a P/T, but it sure as hell isn't gonna sit much at shows. There is zero presence of P/T out here besides one buddy that has a 66 Nova built to drive. Besides all that, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly Pro Tour is besides a really, really expensive build. LOL I'm kinda going for a bolt together setup because I have zero fab skilz, not a lot of cash, and like to do my own wrenching. We'll see how this goes....
      Not a lot of cash but enough to afford a Schwartz chassis, 572" big block, and a TKO. Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      I almost went to chatterbox last night. But rain..... its an hour 1/2 from me.
      Sweet maybe I'll see ya there - not gonna chance this coming saturday, but maybe 1st week in August

If you guys go on Aug4th I would go. Gotta get there before the places closes and turns into a wawa/quick check. how sad. represent the pro-touring community ..
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

I live out in Buffalo NY. We have a facebook group with over 5,000 members. Of those members...I'd guess only 1,000 have a car worth mentioning. Out of all the shows I've gone to I've only seen 3 or 4 true pro-touring cars and mine (not even complete yet) is one of them.

Our area has one SCCA event per month and I've only seen 2 true protouring cars compete.

Like others have mentioned...building a pro-touring car is simply not practical for an ordinary car guy. For $60,000 you can buy a new GT350 and run circles around most pro-touring cars without the fuss and dedication required to transform a 50 year old car in to a canyon carver.

But. At the end of the day we know which one is cooler.

We're hitting chatterbox on 8/18

And word on the street is last cruise night is 9/1
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Living in So. Cal one would expect a ton of PT cars around. Nope.

Bob's Big Boy on Riverside Drive on Friday nights may have an occasional PT car, but on the odd occasion I bring the Camaro, I'm it.

I'm at a Saturday night show right now waiting for dinner. There's one other patina Nova that's PT. The rest are the same cars that make the local car show rounds . I'm leaving after eating since its driving me nuts.

These are really more social events than car shows. The cars never evolve.

As mentioned above, we believe there are LS-swapped on every corner. Not so, and cars that are really sorted well are few and far between with the car show circuit.

Want to see the cool stuff? Show up to a So. Cal NMCA Autocross event. An USCA event. Midwest Musclecar Challenge. These events where the well prepared show up to drive their junk are far more fulfilling than a Friday night cruise in.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Mark, IIRC, I saw your car at the Scarecrow Fest car show a few years back. (Unless I'm mixing up my shows). I was their with my family, so I wasn't in my Firebird at the time. I remember walking the field and your car was the only one in a PT style there. It's basically the same thing where I am, on the south east tip of ****cago bordering Hammond. I go to a lot of shows in the area and am most often the only PT style guy there. I daily drove my car throughout the summer until this year. I made a few changes over this past winter, but with my schedule and family commitments, it's hard to get it back together.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Cpd004, it was the scarecrow fest. We will have to get together next time your at a show.

I'm only speaking for myself but I don't want protouring cars to become so common, that everyone and their brother owns one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antrim View Post
      Cpd004, it was the scarecrow fest. We will have to get together next time your at a show.
      Sounds good!
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      We're hitting chatterbox on 8/18

And word on the street is last cruise night is 9/1
      Went to Chatterbox over the weekend - was an ok turnout - only one other pro-tour there. On 8/18 there is a big show by Cops and Rodders at the Lowe's in Hackettstown, NJ. My car will be there representing Valhalla Restoration. They get enough cars to take over the Lowe's and Wendy's parking lots - some very nice builds show up there, but you have to pay to show there - not a cruise like Chatterbox
      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

I agree with usazr1, I don't like being the in thing. I guess I was really wondering if pro touring is as big as the magazines and social media has made it look.
      I went to my first cars and coffee Sunday and figured it would be all imports and maybe a few new cars. Boy was I right, subaru, Honda, ford focus and Audi were all represented well. I got a lot of stares and when I popped the hood and they saw an ls in the compartment, most were shocked. I got a lot of questions and lots were wondering about the pt lifestyle. I think the car made an impression and some even asked what was the next autocross event I'd be attending.

Country Flag: Germany
      Germany.
      A few old US-cars and a handful of European classics get lowered (and the americans often get flame-wraps).
      But largely, the climate is still that if you put the wrong wheels on a car you get a lecture.
      You don't really see much modification on vintage cars.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
      I'm only speaking for myself but I don't want protouring cars to become so common, that everyone and their brother owns one.
      Not to worry. They are too expensive for that to ever happen.

I just participated in the Sandhills Open Road Challenge. 139 drivers showed up with all types of cars that are suitable for Pro-touring events. Most were Corvettes. There were lots of Mustangs and Camaros. There were a sprinkling of other cars from our HHR SS to a mid-engine turbo VW GTI and a DeTomaso Pantera.

There was a short show after the shootout. But most of the week the cars were on the road, either practicing or racing. Yes, a few came on trailers. But most were driven.

No autocross, but a mile shootout and two open road race events.

I would consider this to be a real Pro-touring event.

The Blue HHR number 101 is us.

Name:  SORC 2018 lineup for Shootout.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  80.1 KB

Houston here. Big car meets in the Kemah/Galveston area. Lots of different cars of all types. Even the exotics come out to show. Usually I'm the only PT guy out here and when I show up, I get a nice crowd and a lot of questions. Weird because everyone knows what PT is but no one wants to bite the bullet. The kids like my car bc of the Fast and Furious movies but the old, original Mopar guys kind of frown. If the car's not stock with shi*#y handling, brakes, crappy tuning, and original chalk marks, they don't wanna chat. Usually the rat rod guys and the newer car guys like PT look.
      1968 Charger R/T, EFI,SC,6-speed

The scene here in Reno, NV sounds a lot like many other places. Usually 1 or 2 at smaller local shows and several at the larger shows like Hot August Nights. By far the best showing of pro touring cars I've ever seen was at OUSCI, that was pro touring overload!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antrim View Post
      With protouring being in existence for over a decade if not two, how has the influence changed your local car shows, cars&coffee and/or local track events? Post your location with your thoughts about how strong or weak the protouring community is where you live.

Northwest Indiana is weak in that at car shows you'll see cars with the 18" rims but still stock brakes and maybe a 1-2"drop. Rat rods are still a very popular build and most people put their nose to the air if you don't know what your quarter mile time is. There is an scca club in the region and has an event 1 weekend a month during the non snow months. Small amount of muscle cars ,more imports at the scca events. If you want to see more protouing cars and their owners, you have to drive an hour into Chicago or to a protouring event.
      We're in Southwest Michigan, so probably seeing a similar mix of cars as you Mark. Older group still rocking their Cragars and old school stance. Once in a while you'll see someone with the PT Look-a-like cars. When I was younger and building my C10 I couldn't get enough of car shows. Probably because I was on the hunt for new ideas and to see what other people come up with. There are several big shows (1,000 - 2,000 cars) throughout the year along with a lot of smaller shows (100 - 200 cars) every weekend within a 50 mile radius. But you go to enough of them, it's the same cars every weekend. After finishing the C10 and being a Long Hauler in the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2014, we hit quite a few shows the first couple of seasons with it. But then I came across Motor State Challenge put on by Lane Automotive. I entered in the Touring Class just to see if I would like it and I was bit hard by the PT Bug. All I can say is after that I could not find much interest in the local car show scene. Especially when you sit there all day and it is the same people winning awards at every show. I won a fair share of Top 30 awards but it became boring really quick to sit all day just to receive a $10 wall plaque. Show we picked up a 69 Chevelle and sold the Pickup. We'll still hit a few local favorite Cruise-in's but will be aiming more for the driving events throughout the Midwest. Here's a pic of the rendering we had done for the Chevelle.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      -Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com