Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

steering issue!what could be the reason??

I am posting this thread in the forum as I have searched a lot online without any luck and hoping will get input from the experts here.

Here is my story...

I installed a new unisteer rack and pinion as the old one was badly leaking. I would like to thank Chuck at unisteer for great customer service.

When I finished with rack install and bolted the tie rods with even threads initially as recommended, I noticed that driver side wheel has too much toe out as if the steering wheel is a bit turned to the left. However, the toe on the passenger side is out but could be sorted out by minor tie rod adjustment.

Unisteer racks come centered already. However, I was asked to double check again, and it confirmed it as per the paint marks put by Unisteer on the rack body and pinion shaft.

I did also try to adjust the toe from the inner tie rod. However, there is not going to be much thread engagement of inner tie rod through outer tie rod ( Maybe about 1/2 inch thread engagement) which is to unsafe.

I really don’t know what is causing this toe issues. I have checked the thread engagement between the inner and outer tie rods, and it seems like there is not much thread engagement there. I have read that the there should be a minimum of 1 inch thread engagement.

I am running Speedtech front clip.

Could this be due to alignment issues done previously by an alignment shop.

Will appreciate your input guys.
      72 Camaro RS:SOLD
      68 Camaro:
      LS6 Engine,Tremec TKO 600,5 Speed
      Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors

have you checked the position of the rack?
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Quote Originally Posted by 79T/Aman View Post
      have you checked the position of the rack?
      The unisteer rack comes centered with paint marks on rack body and pinion. I have double checked as advised by unisteer as well.

However, Blake at speedtech performance commented on my post at lateral g forum, and he stated that once the toe is set, there will be only 1/2 to 3/4 inch inner tie rod thread engagement.

So it seems normal with unisteer racks and pinion
      72 Camaro RS:SOLD
      68 Camaro:
      LS6 Engine,Tremec TKO 600,5 Speed
      Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com