Default Insurance with Rollcage

A friend of mine has a nicely done 68 Mustang in a race theme, not really a race car per se but with a real cage safe enough for Time Attack. Could probably go Vintage Racing with it but it's super clean and cool to street drive. I recently encouraged him to get it insured with Hagerty instead of just his general carrier so it could be insured at an appraised value instead of purchase price ($3000.)

They were all set to go and then someone up high at Hagerty took one look at the rollcage and said No. So, what are you guys doing to insure your PT cars that have rollcages? With the obvious understanding that there is no insurance when the car is on the track, although I hear you can now get Racing insurance as well.

Keep in mind we are in Canada, which changes things, but something may still be available.
    70 GTO - 406/200-4R

Country Flag: Canada

what province are you in ...? I'm in Ontario and I know of a few people who've had cages and never had an issue
    Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
    On twitter @raustinss
    On Instagram austinss70

I don’t have a cage but I mentioned it to the independent appraiser that I had for insurance purposes, and he said he didn’t know of any companies that would take me on if I had a cage. Also, I looked at hagerty and called them for specific questions about coverage and restrictions on when where I could drive. By the time I was done the conversation I decided to go with another company as I want to drive a lot

Yup ... if your in Onterrible you wont be able to get Hagarty, and will have issues with others as well
    The entire insurance industry here is BS !!! Try building a Cobra and getting insurance for 'kit cars' .... almost impossible

Cheers
    Steve
    69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 / T56, DSE Hydro, SpeedTech TA, Recaro Sportster's, Wilwood disc, Racepak iQ3s, Forgeline CV3c 20/19

Alberta
    70 GTO - 406/200-4R

Some specialty insurance companies here in the USA won't insure vehicles with roll bars, either.

Country Flag: United States

Pretty ironic since some of the early Shelby Mustangs had built in roll bars. You would think they would insure with cages just because it would come closer to protecting the occupants than without. If the owners were racing, they wouldn't insure them anyway. So what's the problem? Just my thoughts...

Carl Wilson
    1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats

Country Flag: Swaziland

Because a roll cage in a car without supporting safety like a helmet can be more dangerous to the occupants. There are lengthy threads on this forum about that.
    Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk, featuring the Red Dragon ... NastyZ28 ... NJ Camaros & Firebirds

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
    I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Aka it's also too "racey" for them there insurance nerds... ohhhh looks fast .. premium cause hes gunna go fast , crash cost us lots of money
    Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
    On twitter @raustinss
    On Instagram austinss70

..or....insurance is based on risk level. It seems they feel the presence of a cage increases risk past a level they are willing to accept.

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk, featuring the Red Dragon ... NastyZ28 ... NJ Camaros & Firebirds

Just save that extra insurance money for the next car and go liability only (ok, don't do that, but I did this once with a sport bike, and here I am 10 years later with enough saved cash to buy 2 more new bikes, and I still have the first one). I've heard Hagerty won't even insure cars that have fuel in the tank.

And why would it only otherwise be insured for the purchase price of $3k. If its a fastback (I don't know if it is or not) it could be a complete rust bucket running on 3 cylinders and still cost 15k to replace.
    Zach

"It so repulsive to see such a beautiful 1970 Mustang, with the other teams engine transplanted into it. I know that car would spit that thing out if it could. Just ruined it, when everything else about the car is so nice." - Bossed

Wow thats crazy. I have Hagerty and they didnt care that my car has a cage. Sent them plenty of pictures of the car and I highly doubt they missed the cage. I mean it is bright green....
    1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug

@Frankinbeetle on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Zachalanche View Post
    Just save that extra insurance money for the next car and go liability only (ok, don't do that, but I did this once with a sport bike, and here I am 10 years later with enough saved cash to buy 2 more new bikes, and I still have the first one). I've heard Hagerty won't even insure cars that have fuel in the tank.

And why would it only otherwise be insured for the purchase price of $3k. If its a fastback (I don't know if it is or not) it could be a complete rust bucket running on 3 cylinders and still cost 15k to replace.
    Not really sure what you're talking about. But my hagerty coverage on my camaros is less than liability only on my truck. And all the cars have gas.

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
    Not really sure what you're talking about. But my hagerty coverage on my camaros is less than liability only on my truck. And all the cars have gas.
    Just seems like I've seen similar complaints about them on this site a few times. And I looked into them once years ago and they wouldn't insure my car purely based on my age (24 at the time) I had a clean record too. But my light hearted stab at them was mostly out of left field and not backed by any solid data.
    Zach

"It so repulsive to see such a beautiful 1970 Mustang, with the other teams engine transplanted into it. I know that car would spit that thing out if it could. Just ruined it, when everything else about the car is so nice." - Bossed

Guys, I believe that Canada Hagerty is much different than in the US
    Cheers
    Steve
    69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 / T56, DSE Hydro, SpeedTech TA, Recaro Sportster's, Wilwood disc, Racepak iQ3s, Forgeline CV3c 20/19

Quote Originally Posted by sheck44 View Post
    Guys, I believe that Canada Hagerty is much different than in the US
    Cheers
    Steve
    I am sure. And it varies from state to state since it is regulated at a state level in the US. Coverages, restrictions, limits, underwriting requirements can vary widely.