Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Insurance with Rollcage

A friend of mine has a nicely done 68 Mustang in a race theme, not really a race car per se but with a real cage safe enough for Time Attack. Could probably go Vintage Racing with it but it's super clean and cool to street drive. I recently encouraged him to get it insured with Hagerty instead of just his general carrier so it could be insured at an appraised value instead of purchase price ($3000.)

They were all set to go and then someone up high at Hagerty took one look at the rollcage and said No. So, what are you guys doing to insure your PT cars that have rollcages? With the obvious understanding that there is no insurance when the car is on the track, although I hear you can now get Racing insurance as well.

Keep in mind we are in Canada, which changes things, but something may still be available.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Country Flag: Canada
      what province are you in ...? I'm in Ontario and I know of a few people who've had cages and never had an issue
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I don’t have a cage but I mentioned it to the independent appraiser that I had for insurance purposes, and he said he didn’t know of any companies that would take me on if I had a cage. Also, I looked at hagerty and called them for specific questions about coverage and restrictions on when where I could drive. By the time I was done the conversation I decided to go with another company as I want to drive a lot

Yup ... if your in Onterrible you wont be able to get Hagarty, and will have issues with others as well
      The entire insurance industry here is BS !!! Try building a Cobra and getting insurance for 'kit cars' .... almost impossible

Cheers
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Alberta
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Some specialty insurance companies here in the USA won't insure vehicles with roll bars, either.

Country Flag: United States
      Pretty ironic since some of the early Shelby Mustangs had built in roll bars. You would think they would insure with cages just because it would come closer to protecting the occupants than without. If the owners were racing, they wouldn't insure them anyway. So what's the problem? Just my thoughts...

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Because a roll cage in a car without supporting safety like a helmet can be more dangerous to the occupants. There are lengthy threads on this forum about that.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Aka it's also too "racey" for them there insurance nerds... ohhhh looks fast .. premium cause hes gunna go fast , crash cost us lots of money
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

..or....insurance is based on risk level. It seems they feel the presence of a cage increases risk past a level they are willing to accept.
      Scott from NJ.

Just save that extra insurance money for the next car and go liability only (ok, don't do that, but I did this once with a sport bike, and here I am 10 years later with enough saved cash to buy 2 more new bikes, and I still have the first one). I've heard Hagerty won't even insure cars that have fuel in the tank.

And why would it only otherwise be insured for the purchase price of $3k. If its a fastback (I don't know if it is or not) it could be a complete rust bucket running on 3 cylinders and still cost 15k to replace.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Wow thats crazy. I have Hagerty and they didnt care that my car has a cage. Sent them plenty of pictures of the car and I highly doubt they missed the cage. I mean it is bright green....
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Quote Originally Posted by Zachalanche View Post
      Just save that extra insurance money for the next car and go liability only (ok, don't do that, but I did this once with a sport bike, and here I am 10 years later with enough saved cash to buy 2 more new bikes, and I still have the first one). I've heard Hagerty won't even insure cars that have fuel in the tank.

And why would it only otherwise be insured for the purchase price of $3k. If its a fastback (I don't know if it is or not) it could be a complete rust bucket running on 3 cylinders and still cost 15k to replace.
      Not really sure what you're talking about. But my hagerty coverage on my camaros is less than liability only on my truck. And all the cars have gas.
      Scott from NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      Not really sure what you're talking about. But my hagerty coverage on my camaros is less than liability only on my truck. And all the cars have gas.
      Just seems like I've seen similar complaints about them on this site a few times. And I looked into them once years ago and they wouldn't insure my car purely based on my age (24 at the time) I had a clean record too. But my light hearted stab at them was mostly out of left field and not backed by any solid data.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Guys, I believe that Canada Hagerty is much different than in the US
      Cheers
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Quote Originally Posted by sheck44 View Post
      Guys, I believe that Canada Hagerty is much different than in the US
      Cheers
      Steve
      I am sure. And it varies from state to state since it is regulated at a state level in the US. Coverages, restrictions, limits, underwriting requirements can vary widely.
      Scott from NJ.

Hagerty's is a BS company, I had them for over 15 years and then modified my car. There is a horsepower limit if you modify your engine, I thought they insured high performance cars.....they do but only up to 650hp unless it came from the factory with more, like a Hellcat. Don't you think Leno has a few modified cars with more than 650hp, supposedly he uses Hagerty, but I guess since he's a celebrity he gets privileges.
      What is this billion dollar hot rod aftermarket industry for, technology has grown leaps and bounds and 1k horsepower is easy to build today but whats the point if you can't drive it? So word to the wise, always downplay your hp level when insuring your high hp car, the value is the same weather it has 500 or 1k hp so to be safe just tell them it has 400hp, please ignore the twin turbos sir, those are fake.
      Mike
      86 Buick GN, Stage 2 V6, Twin EFR Turbos

Yup, Hagerty wouldn't insure my car either. And I'm in the free state of TX. They saw my cage and said "No bueno". Had to go with Heacock. Pay $600 a year, 5000 miles, insured for 50K.
      1968 Charger R/T, EFI,SC,6-speed

Heacock as well. Hagerty wants the 65 mustang with a slant 6 that goes to car shows. Why are we here? Because we build fast, clean super-performance hot rods and a lot of us do it better than the factory. Now if the car comes with 800hp from the factory they will cover it. So keep that in mind when you build and buy these cars, if you can't insure it you do not want any part of it.

Mike
      86 Buick GN, Stage 2 V6, Twin EFR Turbos

When I was looking for insurance on two of my cars about 5-6 years ago, It was either Hagerty or Grundy wouldn't insure the cars because the suspensions were non stock.

Ended up going with NCM, all they wanted were list of mods and pictures of cars. Agreed upon value on both.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com