Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Country Flag: Australia
      Wow, .....A big call to be competative with so many different classes/disaplins....... just awsome engineering guys....n a credit to your n your fab skills Rob,..
      cant wait to see this beast on my next visit.....

Awsome stuff as usual.....keep building n keep posting

Country Flag: Canada
      So who is the quote from Rob?

Country Flag: United States
      Wasn't it Einstein?

shawn

Ok, sorry, the quote (or close to it) was from Elon Musk (Space-X, Telsa) And to be honest, he may have borrowed it. But it is a handy thought.

On to P/S. We all want power steering, but in the last 50 years, we haven't made a whole lot of advances that people are taking advantage of. In the big picture, hydrolic P/S works backwards. When you need it most, at slow speeds with the brake on, the pump is at it's lowest output. At freeway speed, the pump is working like crazy, and you don't need it. So there is a good/bad to the standard P/S system. On the + side, tried and true, lots of parts available. On the - side, pumps go bad, racks leak, makes heat, needs a cooler, belt fails, ... We have all seen or had these issues. We are trying something different. After some searching (and testing other EPAS racks such as Mustang, Corvette, and Camaro) we chose to use a Woodward manual rack These are specially built with a wide gear contact to deal with "Powered input", and I have to say, this is the smoothest rack I have ever felt. The column and EPAS is from a Saturnn View. These are some of the strongest motors available. We got an EPAS column with the mounts and shafts on Ebay. The column spline is common, so NRG has a disconnect hub available. The column also has a tilt feature, which we used during the mounting. We also used the upper steering shaft with slipshaft and U-joints. This connects from the EPAS output spline down to a 3/4" DD shaft, so the steering hookup was easy. The nice thig is that the EPAS column itself is not modified, so if we need to replace it, it's an over-the-counter part swap. There are also some aftermarket electric control boxes for these so you can adjust the level of assist. The steering so far feels great and I am very hopeful. No pump, no hoses, no belts, no cooler.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

In the last pict you get a glimpse of the pedals. Due to the column configuration the standard firewall mount or reverse mount pedal sets are a no go. - We tried. Just as well, the standard pedal ratios of those kits are not really what we wanted. After what seamed like a Calc-160 finals project, it was determined that we wanted a 6.35 (or 6.4) to 1 pedal ratio. The pedals are made from .120" CM sheet, hand formed and welded up. The pivot point is a pair of caged roller bearings in a 7/8" x .063" tube (part of the pedal) that rides on a .550" dia stainless shaft. The clutch pedal has a set of tabs for a 5/16" rod end to actuate the clutch input rod. For the brakes, we used a Wilwood balance bar bearing, sleeve,bar and bar link mounts to push on the twin brake masters. At the moment we have a 3/4" clutch, and 13/16" (rear) and 3/4" (front) brake masters. It would not surprise me if the car feels more comfortable with a 3/4" (rear) and a .700" (front) down the road. Yes, the clutch master is tipped. We could A) use the smaller "mini" masters (solid so you can't see in), B) space the masters farther out from the pedals, (forcing the dash out as well) or C) tip the clutch master. We chose C. The dash will cover the most of these with view ports to see the fluid levels from the drivers seat. The pedals are rock solid and super smooth. The assembly before mounting, pedals, mounts, bearings and shaft weighed in at 3.1 lbs.

Also, I started some floor and firewall fab. The drivers well is pushed forward a bit to get full pedal stroke as deep as we could adjust the pedals. This is a little thick in .090" alum. but will probably take some abuse. Eventually, a doubled 'heat block' panel in .050" will be spaced in front of the foot well. All in all, the seat position to pedal reach is very comfortable. pedal position feels great and the column position is very natural. We are happily chugging along.

Does that bellhousing require the 5.5"clutch? Do those work well for pro-tour/autocross applications?

Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
      Does that bellhousing require the 5.5"clutch? Do those work well for pro-tour/autocross applications?
      Some do, but this one uses a 7 1/2" clutch. With the help from Quartermaster's techs, we chose a twin disc clutch style that is common to Rally cars. Keith's Velocity Camaro has a 5 1/2" clutch now, and while it spins up quick (maybe too quick) it is a little hard to get used to, and difficult to launch well. So we hope this is a good choice.

Country Flag: Canada
      Any updates?

I see they wrapped up the optima Invitational “2018 Ultimate Street Car.” Is the 2019 edition one of the targets for the T.A.?

We sure hope so. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Been super busy. I'll get some more picts up. I think I will be able to do a raw test drive around Christmas.

Here is a test wheel from MHT. This gives you an idea of what ride height really looks like. Not sure that a polished finish is what we want. Also, with a tire mounted up, we get a good idea of how much body mod is required. Note that the top of the front tire is well above the top of the engine.

From the front, you can see that the tire will be just outside the original body shape. So, it looks like we are doing a little body sculpting. From the inside at a full turn, 40 degrees (which will never happen on track) we still have clearance for the wheel hoop. Last pict is a 55 chevy gasser chassis we are building. just to show what a 'Big tire car' really is.

Wow... That is LOW!!! Nice work No Limit!!!
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Wow... That is LOW!!! Nice work No Limit!!!
      Yep, 4" scrub line with a flat belly pan. In reality, it is higher than a C6 or C7, that have a 3.62" min scrub in some places.

Country Flag: Australia
      Awsome work Rob,...following with huge interest,......

I know your busy,....just waititng for the next progress post

Keep it coming...

Trying to get back next year....love to catch up mate

Al

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices
      updates??
      this is an awesome build!

Rob,

Any updates on this project?

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices