Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What brackets for 2nd gen f-body?

I know this has been brought up a 100 times but I'm stumped to what BRACKETS TO RUN ON A 2ND GEN F-BODY. I WAS ABLE TO SCORE SOME FIRST GEN CTS-V CALIPERS FRONT FOR MY 79 FIREBIRD. BUT IM STUMPED TO WHAT PEOPLE ARE USING TO USE FOR BRACKETS. CAN SOMEONE STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING? I WANT TO CONVERT MY FRONTS TO CTS-V GEN1 W/CORVETTE Z06 14" ROTORS USING MY HUB

FOR THE REARS I MIGHT JUST CONVERT MY REARS TO 79 TRANS AM DISC BRAKES SINCE IT WILL ALLOW ME TO USE E-BRAKE AND BE DIRECT SWAP. BUT JUST CURIOSITY HOW ARE YOU GUYS CONVERTING TO CTS-V GEN1 CALIPERS?

The 79-81 TA rear ratchet calipers are prone to issues. I've got 2 cars with them. They also have a single 2.5" piston which may or may not be a balance system with the multi smaller piston front caliper. I'd look at a different rear setup. Either a Vette based from Tobin at KORE or Scarebird has some rear in hat E brake setups. Some folks also have used the LS1 rear setups or S-10 rear setups that use e brakes also.

Might check on www.nastyz28.com for the S-10 setup and if some of those guys have used the CTS-V calipers.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

I've used the 98-2002 fbody rear calipers on my 73 Z28 with good success. The fbody caliper brackets fit the 10 bolt flange. The e-brake cable bracket needs to be fabbed. You need to source I believe two left hand calipers because the calipers will hit the shock and keep the bleeder screws up. Double check that. Google the swap and you will find tons info. I used aftermarket fbody brake hoses. Made and welded tabs to the axle housing for the female end of the brake hose.
      Having said the above if you have a Ford 9" Tobin makes a great rear disc kit that bolts right on.

Country Flag: United States
      BUT as far as the front goes what are you guys running for brackets with first gen CTS-V calipers? Im getting sommay mix reviews

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com