Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    St. George, UT
    Posts
    1,121
    Country Flag: United States

    Default ATS Spindles- A great product gets even better!

    Hey all- Most of you either own or have probably heard of ATS forged tall spindles. They've been leading the industry since their inception which is no surprise why Speedtech took over ATS along the way.

    Inspired by the new ExtReme spindle and suspension geometry numbers we recently went back to the design board and looked at ways to improve the tall spindle that's made for factory Chevelle/ A-body and G-Body frames. What we've come up with is a spindle that remains the same but we now have replaced the old steering arms with a new steering arm design that will be standard equipment for both applications from now forward. This new steering arm gives even better out-of-the-box bump steer numbers and Ackermann is now WAY better, giving you some serious turn-in through the corners. It doesn't stop there, both the A-body and G-body spindles now have an optional bump steer tuning kit for those that want to dial it in to your specific car and driving style.

    If you already run the ATS tall spindles on your A or G-body you can buy the new steering arm kit and simply replace your old steering arms to add that new geometry advantage! If you've purchased one of our ExtReme chassis, the ExtReme spindle already has awesome geometry numbers built in.

    Go to www.speedtechperformance.com, find your application and click on ATS spindles on the suspension page to learn more of the details!

    Taking the best and making it even better, well that's a win-win for everyone!



    -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
    We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
    435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
    My Pumkinator build thread- http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...ght=pumkinator

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Posts
    948
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Good work as always.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    St. George, UT
    Posts
    1,121
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Thanks Bill!
    -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
    We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
    435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
    My Pumkinator build thread- http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...ght=pumkinator

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harriman, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,194
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Sweet! I have Global West upper and lower arms (for the B-Body spindle), will I need to change anything to run these?
    Bill Kistner
    Check out my blog and the latest installment of my current project "In the Company of Devils" at: www.WilliamKElliott.com.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    St George Utah
    Posts
    1,226
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProTouring442 View Post
    Sweet! I have Global West upper and lower arms (for the B-Body spindle), will I need to change anything to run these?
    yes the control arms
    Blake Foster
    www.speedtechperformance.com
    435-628-4300
    St. George Utah.
    it's always sunny here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harriman, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,194
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
    yes the control arms
    Why? They're made for tall spindles.
    Bill Kistner
    Check out my blog and the latest installment of my current project "In the Company of Devils" at: www.WilliamKElliott.com.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Wichita Falls,TX
    Posts
    2,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProTouring442 View Post
    Why? They're made for tall spindles.
    Yours were made for tall B-body spindles.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    St George Utah
    Posts
    1,226
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProTouring442 View Post
    Why? They're made for tall spindles.
    the b body is a 10 deg KPI the ATS is 8 deg so in reality you should be able to use the lowers but have to order the spindle for the G Body to match the ball joint tapers then replace the upper control are with a stock length A body arm but swap the ball joint to a g Body ball joint.
    Blake Foster
    www.speedtechperformance.com
    435-628-4300
    St. George Utah.
    it's always sunny here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harriman, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,194
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
    the b body is a 10 deg KPI the ATS is 8 deg so in reality you should be able to use the lowers but have to order the spindle for the G Body to match the ball joint tapers then replace the upper control are with a stock length A body arm but swap the ball joint to a g Body ball joint.
    Or I could replace the lower ball joint with an A-body ball joint. I don't have a problem with that.

    I am a bit confused about the "stock length" upper arm being necessary. Is the upper ball joint location on the ATS spindle in a different place so as to make it so proper camber can be achieved with the taller spindle?
    Bill Kistner
    Check out my blog and the latest installment of my current project "In the Company of Devils" at: www.WilliamKElliott.com.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    St George Utah
    Posts
    1,226
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProTouring442 View Post
    Or I could replace the lower ball joint with an A-body ball joint. I don't have a problem with that.

    I am a bit confused about the "stock length" upper arm being necessary. Is the upper ball joint location on the ATS spindle in a different place so as to make it so proper camber can be achieved with the taller spindle?
    No you can not replace just the lower ball join as the housing is a different size.. THE B Body ball joint is in a different place compared to the factory or ATS spindle. if you use the B body upper control arm on the ATS spindle you would end up with maybe 5 deg Neg camber?? if you really want a set of ATS spindles we can make it work for you. upper control arm with a different ball joint and the spindles and steering arms. DONE.
    Blake Foster
    www.speedtechperformance.com
    435-628-4300
    St. George Utah.
    it's always sunny here.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harriman, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,194
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
    No you can not replace just the lower ball join as the housing is a different size.. THE B Body ball joint is in a different place compared to the factory or ATS spindle. if you use the B body upper control arm on the ATS spindle you would end up with maybe 5 deg Neg camber?? if you really want a set of ATS spindles we can make it work for you. upper control arm with a different ball joint and the spindles and steering arms. DONE.

    If I "really want"? "DONE"? I hope you didn't mean that to sound as snarky as it did.
    Bill Kistner
    Check out my blog and the latest installment of my current project "In the Company of Devils" at: www.WilliamKElliott.com.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Druid City
    Posts
    13,235
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProTouring442 View Post
    If I "really want"? "DONE"? I hope you didn't mean that to sound as snarky as it did.
    I am sure he meant it as "Done deal" as in "no problem."

    Andrew
    1970 GTO Version 2.0
    1967 Cougar build
    GM High-Tech Performance feature
    My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!

    "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Druid City
    Posts
    13,235
    Country Flag: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben@SpeedTech View Post
    Hey all- Most of you either own or have probably heard of ATS forged tall spindles. They've been leading the industry since their inception which is no surprise why Speedtech took over ATS along the way.

    Inspired by the new ExtReme spindle and suspension geometry numbers we recently went back to the design board and looked at ways to improve the tall spindle that's made for factory Chevelle/ A-body and G-Body frames. What we've come up with is a spindle that remains the same but we now have replaced the old steering arms with a new steering arm design that will be standard equipment for both applications from now forward. This new steering arm gives even better out-of-the-box bump steer numbers and Ackermann is now WAY better, giving you some serious turn-in through the corners. It doesn't stop there, both the A-body and G-body spindles now have an optional bump steer tuning kit for those that want to dial it in to your specific car and driving style.

    If you already run the ATS tall spindles on your A or G-body you can buy the new steering arm kit and simply replace your old steering arms to add that new geometry advantage! If you've purchased one of our ExtReme chassis, the ExtReme spindle already has awesome geometry numbers built in.

    Go to www.speedtechperformance.com, find your application and click on ATS spindles on the suspension page to learn more of the details!

    Taking the best and making it even better, well that's a win-win for everyone!



    Ben,



    Pretend I am stupid for a minute (I actually mostly am when it comes to suspension geometry).

    I have ATS spindles on my GTO. What are the real world advantages of these new arms and would I notice a difference, and if so, how would that difference manifest?

    Andrew
    1970 GTO Version 2.0
    1967 Cougar build
    GM High-Tech Performance feature
    My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!

    "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •