Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Need Shock Input for 68-72 A-Body

My 1970 El Camino's front KYB shocks are toast after less than six months and 500 miles. Had my car on a lift yesterday and when we set it back down on the shop floor, the seals in both shocks let go. So, no more cheap dampers for me. The car has 2" drop springs, front & rear, so that needs to be considered. I've been looking at the ridetech monotubes and the Viking double adjustables, for lowered cars. Any helpful input would be much appreciated.

Country Flag: Canada
      I had the same set up 15 yrs ago never had a problem. Mine was a big block not sure if that really matters much . What engine are you running , are the spring and shocks meant for it
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Country Flag: United States
      If you are 2" lowered but still have factory bump stops you can use our UMI monotubes. The shock ride height can handle 0, 1 or 2 inch lowering provided the bump stops are in place.

They feature comfortable yet "sporty" compression and increased rebound. Think Chevelle with a sport mode button...
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Country Flag: Canada
      Also if you have it lowered are the shocks "lowering shocks " ? If they're meant for stock height you might be bottoming them out ???
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I also have an A-body, and it's lowered 2" with BMR springs. I'm running Koni STR.T shocks and I love them. I've had Koni's, Bilsteins, KYB mono and twin tubes, Monroes, etc on various cars, and I like the Koni's best - especially when you take price into consideration. I paid $214 for a complete set of 4 a year ago. I'm running the Koni's on both my pro-touring type cars.

According to Koni, their STR.T dampers are basically Koni "Yellows" that are set to the "soft" baseline setting (since they're non-adjustable). They use modern valving (only came out a year or two ago). They're super popular on the newer Camaros/Mustangs/Challengers, but for some reason they don't get much publicity with the pro-touring crowd.

Note - I just noticed you mentioned you have an El Camino, which I'm assuming uses different rear shocks than the rest of the A-bodies, so Koni doesn't have a part# listed for the back. Hopefully the above info will still be helpful for the coupe/sedan folks.

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      I had the same set up 15 yrs ago never had a problem. Mine was a big block not sure if that really matters much . What engine are you running , are the spring and shocks meant for it
      Ryan, the springs are UMI 2" drop springs. Ramey recommended them to me, last year, for my 70 w/small block. The KYB's were for my application, also.
      I've owned or built a ton of lowered cars and trucks with standard length shocks and never had a problem, until Wednesday. Guess my luck ran out.

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
      If you are 2" lowered but still have factory bump stops you can use our UMI monotubes. The shock ride height can handle 0, 1 or 2 inch lowering provided the bump stops are in place.

They feature comfortable yet "sporty" compression and increased rebound. Think Chevelle with a sport mode button...
      IIRC, the factory bump stops are still on the car. It has a pair of your 2" drop springs and tall spindles of an as yet undetermined brand.
      Your monotubes are also under consideration. UMI has always treated me, right.

Chassisworks makes a well engineered large body shock with digressive valving. I have the SS(SensiSet) , non-adjustable at all 4 corners currently.They ride great on the street which is what they are made for. I wish I could have afforded the double adjustables to really dial in my preferences, but these will do just fine until I can save up to play with the big boys.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

KYB's are a budget shock at best!

Go with Bilsteins or Koni and you will be better off - great warranty on both brands

I have Bilstines on my 69 el Camino with SC&C stage three. They are a very nice shock but I'd like to try the Koni's stab6902 is talking about...

One guy on another board said it best, your lucky to get out of the store before KYBs start leaking.. They have to be the absolute bottom of the barrel as far as shocks go..

are you looking for just the shock? not a coilover.... here the shock only link "Shocked" call me up, we can talk cost,

I ordered a pair of ridetech single-adjustable monotubes, this afternoon. Hopefully they will be a major improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by pitts64 View Post

One guy on another board said it best, your lucky to get out of the store before KYBs start leaking.. They have to be the absolute bottom of the barrel as far as shocks go..
      I think that was me!

Quote Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
      I ordered a pair of ridetech single-adjustable monotubes, this afternoon. Hopefully they will be a major improvement.
      just had a fathers day sale on those! we had 10% off and free ship, we should have another one after fathers day

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      just had a fathers day sale on those! we had 10% off and free ship, we should have another one after fathers day
      I've got lots I want to do to my car, Rod, so I'm sure I'll give you a shout, in the future.

Pm for father's day sale.
      72 chevelle.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com