Thread: Headrests!

Country Flag: United States

Default Headrests!

I have noticed recently that a lot of guys are building some amazing looking rides, yet they frequently seem to be missing what I think is a crucial safety element; headrests.

A good number of years ago I purchased a Buick Reatta convertible for my wife's daily. In Little Rock, Arkansas I was rear-ended by a semi (long story that involved a dog, cars slamming on the brakes, cars changing lanes, and a semi driver who was apparently paying little attention to what was happening right in front of him). When he hit me, I was probably traveling around 30 or 40 mph. He was doing 70. My wife's new car was totaled. I survived, with my only real injuries being two herniated discs.

Today, those herniated discs (with impingement into my spinal column) cause frequent headaches, some so bad they last for 24-hours or more, with photophobia and vomiting.

But here's the thing; that car had headrests. I cannot imagine the damage to my neck had the car not had them. So why do so many run without them?
    Bill Kistner
    Check out my blog and the latest installment of my current project "In the Company of Devils" at: www.WilliamKElliott.com.

Country Flag: Canada

I often have the same question. I cringe at the thought of getting rear ended without a head rest.

Ken
    If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
    My other car is a Vega.

Country Flag: Swaziland

It's looks over safety.
    Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk, featuring the Red Dragon ... NastyZ28 ... NJ Camaros & Firebirds

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
    I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

People who build cars without head rests are idiots. I hate seeing a newly done interior with late model seats that have the head rest removed. Personally I think it looks bad not having them.

I put 2016 Mustang GT seats in my '68 Camaro. I kept the headrests on the front buckets and the rear seat. It blocks some of the rear window but I'm good with it..

Carl Wilson
    1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats

I have a friend who lost a high school buddy to this (decades ago.) The guy got rear-ended hard and the total lack of headrest snapped his neck. That was the only serious injury on him.

Moral of the story: even a headrest that is way too low can still be better than nothing at all.

Head rest for me

Spent yesterday afternoon/evening on the couch with a crazy tension headache... Yeah, I'll stick to headrests, thank you. :P
    Bill Kistner
    Check out my blog and the latest installment of my current project "In the Company of Devils" at: www.WilliamKElliott.com.

Country Flag: Canada

This is /was part of the reason for me choosing late model gto seats for my chevelle , now they aren't fit to the car yet but, any mods will still include headrests
    Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
    On twitter @raustinss
    On Instagram austinss70

I keep having to bite my tongue when I see cars built like this. I see really awesome builds, even fully caged cars with 5 point harnesses, running low back buckets or bench seats that have no headrests and I instantly transform to safety nazi. If I say something, I come across as a troll. How do you kindly tell someone their car is awesome except for a huge miss on basic safety? What do you say to the guy that's super excited about his really nice new seats that are unfortunately missing this important element?

Clint - '70 Nova home-built "restomod"