Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
      Yup it would be a tight fit with the shock towers, they would have to be modified at minimum to clear the turbos on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted Falcon View Post
      Yup it would be a tight fit with the shock towers, they would have to be modified at minimum to clear the turbos on either side.
      Yeah that’s why I want to stay away from the V6. Plus I’m a small engine guy by nature.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

As a very good friend told me “I am my toughest critic” after going to SEMA and looking at some amazing Cars and trucks I felt like it was time to cut off the back end of my car and start over. But that same wise friend and others talked me off the ledge, again. I have made some updates and changes to the rear set up. I cycled it and it seems to work well. So, time to start welding it up and putting the rear suspension to bed.

The watts link brackets and support brace are welded in.

It's hard to see in the picture, but I sleeved the cross member and welded that sleeve to the inside shock tab. I have a long 5” bolt that should make it strong.

The bottom mounts are incorporated into the into the lower link brackets and I was again mindful of things moving under load. I hand-cut that overlay plate to add some stiffness. I also added small gussets on the bottom of the shock tabs to handle any side loads.

I welded this sitting under the car and I couldn't get comfortable. I find that I am very critical about the level of work I do. I follow plenty of builders and welders. I know they are professionals and weld and build for a living. I also am a quality inspector for Turbine Driven Generators and Compressors. So I'm very hard on myself when I know I can do better.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

I have been researching EPAS systems. The rabbit hole has been deep, that's for sure. I have come across two choices for me. One is the complete kit from EPAS Performance (https://epasperformance.com/products...alcon-ranchero) and the other is the ProStreet system from DCE Motorsports (http://www.dcemotorsport.com/Home/EPAS)

There is not much info on the EPAS Performance kit ($1500) provided their website, in relation to stats and details. I like that it's a complete kit for my car. Cut column and weld. I'd like to know some output torque numbers and stuff like that. Maybe I can't find it because my work blocked their site? Hmmmm.

The customer service from DCE is pretty amazing and they are fast to answer questions. Their Pro Street kit ($1600) is about the same cost for the MGU unit (MGU unit is not a till column. It’s just a motor meant to be installed inline with steering shaft), and they say it would work well for my project. They do recommend the Pro Race unit but that’s ($2900). Too much champagne for my beer budget.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these options? I am wondering if the EPAS Performance kit gets hot on the AutoX track, and if it has enough output to turn the big tires I plan on running.

Any input would be great!

Happy Thanksgiving!
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Project Update

I got the nerve up to weld the front mounts for the lower rear links. I felt like I wanted to add some extra weld area and some style, so I spent the morning becoming friendly with the drill press and hole saw. Found my press has a wobble in it. Does anyone repair 1950’s-era Craftsman drill presses?

While I was there, I cleaned up some of the factory welds for the rear suspension mounts. Ford really knows how to make some spot welds. I couldn't cut, drill or Sawzall them. I had to use three 40-grit flapper wheels for my grinder. After that was done, I added some corner gussets for a little strength but also to finish off the frame.

Next on the list is to make some bump stop brackets and install them on the frame and axle. Then I can pull the axle and weld everything up. After that, I can move on to mounting my Agana Metal Products Fuel Cell.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Looking really good. Finally made some meaningful progress on my Ecoboost bird, got the rear 4 link mock up completed. just need to finish weld the mounts and tabs, paint and reinstall.

Looking really good. Finally made some meaningful progress on my Ecoboost bird, got the rear 4 link mock up completed. just need to finish weld the mounts and tabs, paint and reinstall.
      Sweet! Share some photos. Your build got me thinking of going the EcoBoost V6 route a while back.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Will do, not as adventurous as your build, I have pushed the Easy button using a TCI 4 link kit.

Will do, not as adventurous as your build, I have pushed the Easy button using a TCI 4 link kit.
      With the amount of time and effort I have put in I could have been done a long time ago. But then again you have a freaking EcoBoost V6 that thing is going to rip.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Project Bike Truck View Post
      I have been researching EPAS systems. The rabbit hole has been deep, that's for sure. I have come across two choices for me. One is the complete kit from EPAS Performance (https://epasperformance.com/products...alcon-ranchero) and the other is the ProStreet system from DCE Motorsports (http://www.dcemotorsport.com/Home/EPAS)

There is not much info on the EPAS Performance kit ($1500) provided their website, in relation to stats and details. I like that it's a complete kit for my car. Cut column and weld. I'd like to know some output torque numbers and stuff like that. Maybe I can't find it because my work blocked their site? Hmmmm.

The customer service from DCE is pretty amazing and they are fast to answer questions. Their Pro Street kit ($1600) is about the same cost for the MGU unit (MGU unit is not a till column. It’s just a motor meant to be installed inline with steering shaft), and they say it would work well for my project. They do recommend the Pro Race unit but that’s ($2900). Too much champagne for my beer budget.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these options? I am wondering if the EPAS Performance kit gets hot on the AutoX track, and if it has enough output to turn the big tires I plan on running.

Happy Thanksgiving!
      Stay away !!!! look at a borgeson steering box for your setup I have great luck with them on the last 3 mustangs.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionSaleen View Post
      Stay away !!!! look at a borgeson steering box for your setup I have great luck with them on the last 3 mustangs.
      Wow please elaborate? Why stay away, have you seen problems? most of the PT cars I have seen recently are running it.

I have a Mustang Quick steering Box (manual) and Shelby Quick Steer idler and pitman arm. I just got from Open Tracker. If it was up to me I would have no power steering but my concern is with the taller and wider front tires it will be too hard to steer at low speed.

Thanks, I value your feedback.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Country Flag: United States
      Wow please elaborate? Why stay away, have you seen problems? most of the PT cars I have seen recently are running it.

I have a Mustang Quick steering Box (manual) and Shelby Quick Steer idler and pitman arm. I just got from Open Tracker. If it was up to me I would have no power steering but my concern is with the taller and wider front tires it will be too hard to steer at low speed.

Thanks, I value your feedback.
      I talked to a few people that have run Elc power steering kits and have them go out and they say the car will become undrivable when they go out.

and why play with a under dash unit when you have all the room in the world under the hood with that 2.3 and you can run all ford OEM brackets for the PS pump
      if you want to see one on a car and see how the feel is I have the 70 MACH1 and the 72 Maverick you can come by and take a look at.

I was looking hard at a EPS system and actually got a chance to drive a few builds with it. The cars I drove I didn't like the lack of on center feel. I have talked to a few that say they have found a solution. I also looked at going with a Toyota MR2 electric power steering pump with the Honda Accord relay box (I have one I will sell) which looks to be a good solution but with the turbo plumbing I am thinking I am going to tight on space. I have settled on a Ford E250 EB Trans Van pump for my power rack and making a mount to fit my application. The Van pump will actually bolt on but hangs too low for the Falcon.

I used a Unisteer (heavy duty) electric power setup in a previous iteration of my Falcon for a couple of years, with very good results. I don't even know if they sell it anymore, but given the prices you've posted, it was a pretty good deal. It was basically a motor, a computer control unit (non-adjustable), and some u-joints. I welded the mounting plate into the firewall (reinforced first), and it kind of existed like part of my steering column. I did several autocrosses and road course track days with the setup (15x8/225-45 square setup), and only had one very minor hiccup in the blazing sun at an autocross (I did autocross passes back to back for 2.5 hours at an optima event as well, with no problems). On top of the motor, I was using a 1.5:1 quickener, which sped up the crappy Unisteer rack I had at the time. Overall, the setup was crazily complicated, but it worked pretty well.

Many have had very good results with the Prius setup--AndrewB on here is doing one presently on his Cougar. If you have the urge to dig into an '08 Prius (free!), I have one rotting in my yard after my wife crashed it (someone crashed into her, more accurately) a couple months back . . .

Fab work looks awesome so far, by the way!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      I used a Unisteer (heavy duty) electric power setup in a previous iteration of my Falcon for a couple of years, with very good results. I don't even know if they sell it anymore, but given the prices you've posted, it was a pretty good deal. It was basically a motor, a computer control unit (non-adjustable), and some u-joints. I welded the mounting plate into the firewall (reinforced first), and it kind of existed like part of my steering column. I did several autocrosses and road course track days with the setup (15x8/225-45 square setup), and only had one very minor hiccup in the blazing sun at an autocross (I did autocross passes back to back for 2.5 hours at an optima event as well, with no problems). On top of the motor, I was using a 1.5:1 quickener, which sped up the crappy Unisteer rack I had at the time. Overall, the setup was crazily complicated, but it worked pretty well.

Many have had very good results with the Prius setup--AndrewB on here is doing one presently on his Cougar. If you have the urge to dig into an '08 Prius (free!), I have one rotting in my yard after my wife crashed it (someone crashed into her, more accurately) a couple months back . . .

Fab work looks awesome so far, by the way!
      Thanks I’ll look into that one as well. I really appreciate the response. I’m not sure where you live but I’m hoping to not have to engineer more stuff than I already have to. It’s stressful for a guy like me.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Quote Originally Posted by FusionSaleen View Post
      I talked to a few people that have run Elc power steering kits and have them go out and they say the car will become undrivable when they go out.

and why play with a under dash unit when you have all the room in the world under the hood with that 2.3 and you can run all ford OEM brackets for the PS pump
      if you want to see one on a car and see how the feel is I have the 70 MACH1 and the 72 Maverick you can come by and take a look at.
      So my first question to both the manufacturers I mentioned was that and they both said it just goes back to non assisted steering. I wonder what system they used?

As for the engine bay I’d like to keep all that stuff out of it. Keep it a bit more simple. I think the under dashboard might be a bit busy after the install but I’m also most likely going to do a floor mount pedal assembly.

Again thankful for your response and sharing your experiences with me. This helps a lot.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

I was looking hard at a EPS system and actually got a chance to drive a few builds with it. The cars I drove I didn't like the lack of on center feel. I have talked to a few that say they have found a solution. I also looked at going with a Toyota MR2 electric power steering pump with the Honda Accord relay box (I have one I will sell) which looks to be a good solution but with the turbo plumbing I am thinking I am going to tight on space. I have settled on a Ford E250 EB Trans Van pump for my power rack and making a mount to fit my application. The Van pump will actually bolt on but hangs too low for the Falcon.
      You have done some research for sure to make your set up.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Looking good! Cant wait for more updates.
      64 Mercury Comet
      408w boosted
      More boost on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by injcted View Post
      Looking good! Cant wait for more updates.
      Its supposed to be raining this weekend in San Diego, so I hope that means I can lock myself in the garage all weekend.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

EPS seems to be all the rage on here but I just don't know why . Seems like a lot of work plus more electronics to hind under the dash, what's the gain ? .

Mike

PS love your build

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com