Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1968 Camaro, 17" wheels, Tru Turn and disc brakes all round.....

Hi guys,

I know this topic has been heavily discussed, but I am just wanting some clarity from those who know.....

I have a 1968 camaro.
      I have the ridetech system including control arms, tru turn and spindles, as well as the 4-link on the rears.
      These are not fitted yet - still in boxes.

Given this the car will be lowered - at least 1.5" front and 2" or more in rear.

I will also be fitting wilwoods - all round. Currently OEM disc front and drum at the rears.

I will be dropping some cash on serious wheels at some point, but for now - was going to put some tidy 17" 66 Series (in steel) from Wheel Vintiques.

According to my research - I have the following in mind:

FRONT = 17x9 with either 5.5 or 5.75 backspace
      REAR = 17x9.5 with 5.5 backspace

Whilst I appreciate tyre choices are a factor in fitment and clearances, these can be changed easily. Wheels/hardware are obviously harder to swap - so need to get them right.

Where i need clarification.....

Question # 1 (two parts)
      My concern is Disc brakes from Wilwood can add around .19" to the track width (or more for larger kits).
      Given I am going for 17" wheels (instead of 18") I figure I should be ok, but wanted to run this past people who know.

a) For 17x9 on front - which BS would you suggest I consider 5.5 or 5.75 when I'm installing a disc brake which increases track width? Or should I be going the other way with 5.25 BS to avoid a potential spacer requirement? I figure more backspace is safer and I can always use a spacer, but ideally prefer to avoid that. Which backspace do you think 5.25, 5.5 or 5.75?

b) Also will the clearances on rear be ok with 5.5" BS on 17x9.5 (with the rear disc and 2"+ drop)? My research suggest that should be fine, but no harm in asking before I spend my money.

Question # 2
      I note that Bret from ridetech has commented on Billet v's cast wheels and the tru turn - essentially saying he had more success with Billet v's cast in fitting 17" on the tru turn system. Being steel in construction, I assume Wheel Vintiques 66 Series in 17" should clear Tru Turn ok, BUT hoping someone can confirm. Would think the steel wheel would provide more clearance as it needs less "meat" to maintain structural integrity, but wanted to check.

Thanks in advance.

Shan

What is the brake rotor diameter of the new Wilwoods?

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

For the fronts - looking at these:

https://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeK...+Brake+Spindle

So for the front - that gives a OE Hub Offset: +.19
      Rotor Diameter is 12.19

For the rear - was thinking these:

https://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeK...mno=140-7141-R
      These are also 12.19 rotors.

No mention of offsets on wilwood for Rear kit, so do I assume these discs are not going to change my backspace requirements on the rear? Would have to surely?

Country Flag: United States
      I would assemble the suspension and then measure to achieve the best back space

That would be the ideal way to do this - I agree.

I need the car on wheels given my current situation. I cannot have it up on blocks and wait while I order wheels for 6+ weeks from the USA.
      Work needs to be done and wheels need to be there to put on the car so it can be moved from the shop. It can't stay there.

I appreciate there is some risk in approaching it this way, but I do not have a lot of options given my current living situation.

This is why I selected a moderately priced wheel in 17" v's what I really want in 18" (which is big $$$).

If the 17" is about right - I should be ok. Ideally like them to be perfect, but realise I am going about this the reverse way.

If I can get some clarification on my research, potentially from someone running a similar setup - then I can move forward with a little more confidence.

Thanks!
      Shan

Trying to pick a lower cost wheel (in steel) that makes this situation less more palatable for me.

Country Flag: United States
      Why don’t you buy some really cheap used wheels and tires to use as rollers until you get everything installed. I agree with Rod that you should measure and buy the wheels after you have the entire suspension and brakes installed. No two cars are the same and your safest bet is to measure. I made a jig to measure for backspacing using angle iron and all-thread. Pm me if you want more info on the jig

I have seen some articles about the jig. Thanks.

Would still be helpful to know if anyone has fitted 17" 66 Series steel wheel vintiques on the Tru Turn system.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com