Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: LS calipers

LS calipers

Are the LS brake calipers the same dimensions as the standard C5/C6 units? Anyone know the difference in offset?

When I was doing mine, all my research led me to believe they were the same dimensionally, only the casting process was different...

I have slept a few times since then though, and not at a Holiday Inn Express...

Country Flag: United States
      The critical dimensions between the ls1, C5, and C6 front calipers are all the same. The castings are all a little different (the best being the C6) but the mounting points and brake pads are the same.

Country Flag: United States

LS1 vs. C5 Corvette Calipers

Here's some info I gleaned from an S-10 forum post:

info and differences between C5 and LS1:

-piston size: C5 is 40mm, LS1 is 45mm
      -the C5 caliper casting is bigger, heavier, and much stiffer, with longer cooling ribs
      -the bleeders on the ls1 are parallel with the piston bores, the c5 is at a slight (10 degreeish) angle
      -the C5 caliper is taller and has a different radius for the 12.79" rotor vs the LS1s 11.92" rotor.
      -the LS1 caliper can be used on a 12.79" rotor, but no bigger (IMO, because the pad starts to overhang the rotor)
      -the C5 caliper is slightly wider, about 6.625" vs the LS1 at 6.2". may lead to clearance issues
      -the pad opening on the C5 is 2.625", LS1 is 2.5"
      -the LS1 mouting ears are thicker
      -the slider pins and boots are identical, the slider pin bolts are longer for the LS1 for the thicker mounting ear, but same thread
      -the mounting ears are the same distance, which makes the pin bores in the abutment the same distance between the C5 and LS1
      -the wear clips and the anti-rattle clip are all identical
      -the abutment offset (distance between mounting holes and slider bores) is taller on the C5
      -the abutment mounting hole spacing is the same at 5.040"
      -the rotor slot in the abutment is the same at 1.425"
      -the pad friction material is almost identical shape and size, just different radii for the different rotors. the backing plates are the same width and height, the ears are the same with the below exception
      -the pad ear offset is different, the C5 are lower pushing the pad outward, away from the spindle

Name:  DSCF1161_zpsd695cf3a.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  77.5 KBName:  DSCF1166_zps39a8246e.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  73.6 KBName:  DSCF1167_zps8121cab0.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  69.5 KB
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Thanks for that informative post, Rodney. I'm trying to decide on a good big brake kit, for the front of my 70 Elco, and am considering kits that use those calipers.

Country Flag: Canada
      Not sure if or what your budget is Clint but, consider ats afx spindles they use a corvette hub and anything from c5,6 or 7 will bolt on directly
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Not sure if or what your budget is Clint but, consider ats afx spindles they use a corvette hub and anything from c5,6 or 7 will bolt on directly
      I want a pair of those spindles as much as anyone, Ryan, but would also need new control arms and steering arms, to go with them, since my 70 still has the stock control arms. Still need some good shocks, too.
      My budget is only around $2,000 to maybe $2,500, tops.

You've got me thinking now. lol

Country Flag: Canada
      lol sorry didn't mean to fill your head with expensive part thoughts, I literally just got my spindles this w.e .... now for the rest of the car lmao
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I decided to go with Kore3's C5/C6 big brake kit, with C5 325mm rotors, black C6 calipers, and black Wilwood manual 7/8" m/c. Tobin promptly emailed me an invoice so I plan to call him back, in the morning, and get the order in motion. Though I have 18" front wheels now, I went with the 325mm rotors, instead of the 340's, so I would have the option of going back to 17" wheels later, if desired.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com