Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1969 camaro aftermarket subframe, allowing 315 tire, stock fender

Starting my research on aftermarket subframes. I am wanting to go 315 tire up front and 18x11 and for now want to keep my stock outer fender. I have modified my inner fenders to allow a 275 tire with 6in bs wheel. I have looked at speed tech extreme, but want to stay with my current sbc which I've learned won't work. LS may be in my future but not yet. With dse i don't think i can get enough wheel backspace to work and would need wider fender. Just happened to come across the no limit sniper ifs. Sounds like might fit my needs, any with experience on the subframe? Other sub frames to look at?
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

I have no personal experience with any aftermarket subframe, but this is an interesting option that came across recently.

Speedway Unser Edition Subframe --> https://www.speedwaymotors.com/G-Com...it,270027.html

On their website they quote a 275/35/18 as the biggest tire that fits, BUT in their most recent paper catalog it says 315/30/18. (Maybe they decided to go a a bit more conservative?)

All of this is likely moot given the fact that I really doubt any inner fender would work with that subframe...lol

I already mentioned the TCI subframe in your other thread. For other's benefit, I just want to confirm that on a 69 you can run a 315 on an 18x11 with totally stock inner and outer fenders.

On a 67/68 you will want to roll the outer fender lip which requires either reshaping the inner fender where it meets the lip or cutting it in that area to allow the outer fender room to be rolled. You will also loose some steering angle. Though I don't miss it and can still make U turns and maneuver into parking spaces etc.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

yes the other thread didn't have response at first, thought it would be better in suspension category. Looking at the tci subframe now. Looks pretty light. How much horsepower are you running on it?
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

Quote Originally Posted by sean69cam View Post
      yes the other thread didn't have response at first, thought it would be better in suspension category. Looking at the tci subframe now. Looks pretty light. How much horsepower are you running on it?
      It will save you some weight over the factory subframe. I'm running a Mast Motorsports 427" LS3. Dynoed at 500 RWHP.

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Not knocking any product but as an ex-road racer I can say that I would prefer good geometry (that maintains during loading) and good shock valving with a 275 vs not as good xxx and a 315.

The TCI looks like a light weight subframe I would expect to see in a drag car rather than a high G PT corner carver. On the other hand the DSE looks beefier like a road racer but also heavier. Like CSG said I want a frame that will maintain geometry during heavy loading especially as the tire gets wider. So I guess everything is a compromise.

TCI

DSE
      Name:  Camaro 017.jpg
Views: 3114
Size:  205.9 KB
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

i have no personal experience with any of the aftermarket subframes but if you haven't read the thread that No limit put up when they released the sniper IFS it covers in detail some of the things they did and why. well worth the read.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ght=sniper+ifs
      72 Nova SS, on the back burner for now.

current cruiser: "The green machine"

'70 Impala 4drht, 26K original miles, 2" drop springs and large swaybars, drives pretty good for a land yahct in the middle of an ls1 swap, but thinking about changing directions to a duramax diesel swap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      The TCI looks like a light weight subframe I would expect to see in a drag car rather than a high G PT corner carver. On the other hand the DSE looks beefier like a road racer but also heavier. Like CSG said I want a frame that will maintain geometry during heavy loading especially as the tire gets wider. So I guess everything is a compromise.
      You are absolutely right that you want as stiff a platform as possible. I'd just point out that the TCI frame was developed specifically for pro touring cars. So it might "look" lightweight but it works.

definitely a lot of good info. Answered most of most questions on the sniper frame in that thread
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      I already mentioned the TCI subframe in your other thread. For other's benefit, I just want to confirm that on a 69 you can run a 315 on an 18x11 with totally stock inner and outer fenders. On a 67/68 you will want to roll the outer fender lip which requires either reshaping the inner fender where it meets the lip or cutting it in that area to allow the outer fender room to be rolled.
      Chad we have never fit a 315 on a first gen with stock inner wells? with a low ride height biggest we have seen is a 275 ish tire. Maybe it is due to the steering angle and compression of the Extreme subframe? but that is why we designed and built the inner fender wells for both versions of the first gen cars. I am not arguing just my experience.
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post

TCI

DSE
      Name:  Camaro 017.jpg
Views: 3114
Size:  205.9 KB

I have ran the TCI frame on a 67 in the first two RTTC events. Its bad ass. With a little tuning and bigger brakes we would have been hard to beat.
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
      Chad we have never fit a 315 on a first gen with stock inner wells? with a low ride height biggest we have seen is a 275 ish tire. Maybe it is due to the steering angle and compression of the Extreme subframe? but that is why we designed and built the inner fender wells for both versions of the first gen cars. I am not arguing just my experience.
      Maybe it is due to those things? And you can't lump all first gens together as the 69 has significantly more room than 67/68.

Efrain (yellow 69 Camaro) just switched to a TCI subframe and he has stock inner and outer fenders with no mods and is running a 315 up front on an 18x11.

On my 68, I did have to do some small mods as noted in my original post (rolled the outer fender lip, which also requires moving the inner fender in that spot or cutting it). At full compression the inner shoulder of the tire just kisses the inner fender. Enough to leave a witness mark on the fender but not enough to wear out the tire or make noise.

Edit: Here is a pic of my 68 from last weekend with a 200+ lbs passenger on a hard left corner. That front tire is pretty tucked and not rubbing.

I've been able to fit 315s on my Art Morrison sub with stock inner and outer fenders on a 69. I'm still about a week out from actually running an autocross with it though (I haven't even driven it yet to be honest). The inner fenders will rub on the tires at about 1.5"-2" of compression and full lock, but just barely. However, I did slightly roll the fender lips.
      1969 Camaro - LS7/T56 - Art Morrison Front Suspension/Ridetech Coilovers
      Instagram: @rbreezee88

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      On my 68, I did have to do some small mods as noted in my original post (rolled the outer fender lip, which also requires moving the inner fender in that spot or cutting it). At full compression the inner shoulder of the tire just kisses the inner fender. Enough to leave a witness mark on the fender but not enough to wear out the tire or make noise.
      Do you have any close up pics of the fender mods you did to fit the 315 tire? I'm getting close to needing new front tires and considering sending my front wheels back to Forgeline and having them install a 1" wider outer hoop to go from 10 to 11 inch.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com