Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

68 Firebird with Butler Performance engine

I need some advice, big dilemma here.....

here are the specs on the car so far.

- ridetech complete front system with sway bars, tru turn and rear 4 link with tubs.
      - 6p baer brakes front and rear
      - Butler performance 505 ( not in car yet )
      - tko 600 ( not in car yet )
      - 18 inch USmag 429's - 18x9 front ( slightly touches sub frame ) and rears are 18x11

I just took apart the whole front of the car and found passenger side front sub frame is toast, its tweaked pretty good. its pushed back quite a bit.

I really would like to keep what I have and replace with new sub frame, my oil pan is a high capacity 8' from Butler. I understand mounts will need to be made, anyone done this before with Pontiac engine ?

I think that is everything....

i think Speedtech would be my only option ?

There is so much to be gained with an after market subframe that I would not even consider keeping the stock one. Especially if the stock subframe is damaged! There are several very good vendors here on PT who build outstanding subframes you just need to do some research to determine which best suits your needs.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Understood. I was hoping one would chime in. I’ll keep digging.

its Sunday .... you will get more response come Monday when some of them check in..... Steve is right with the right frame there is a lot to be gained, wider tire fitment, lighter weight, less steering parts for ease of maintenance, rigidity,.....I like stock frames but if yours is junk and you have a budget an aftermarket is easy, or for less than a 1000 replace the stock one and build again

bump for any ideas. i have been working with blake at speedtech. all of his parts work with ridetech system......just hoping the oil pan will clear the new frame.

Zapplach,
      Speedtech subframes are awesome. In the real world, a lot of competitive cars are running Speedtech gear. In your particular case, a stock subframe with ridetech upgrades might be the answer. If replacing your factory frame with another (straight) factory frame allows you to use your existing oil pan, headers, steering column, brakes, etc., then find another stock clip. If you want an aftermarket subframe, go for it. Choose the path of least resistance and maximum satisfaction.

I'm sure folks might chime in with their keyboard kung fu and claim that, on paper, aftermarket frames are light years ahead of factory frames, but I don't race on paper. I tried it once. I taped a piece of paper to each tire and went out on track. After the run, the paper was GONE! All four sheets and the tape, too... All gone!

if you attend real-world events week in and week out, from coast to coast -- like I do, the performance is the same. Attend any Goodguys or NMCA West event and you will see upgraded stock-clip cars beating aftermarket clip cars and aftermarket clip cars beating upgraded stock-clip cars. The difference in time between the top ten or fifteen cars may only be measured in hundredths or tenths of a second.

Cheers
      /Steve

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com