Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Vintage Air Gen II in 68 Camaro

I see that everyone seems to run the Gen IV in the First Gen Camaros and don't understand why. I am wanting just heat in mine but if I am going to install it I mine as well plan for adding the A/C parts in the future. Is there any reason a Gen II will not work instead of the more expensive Gen IV. I see it is a bit smaller too
      1968 Camaro Crossram EFI 385, TKO 600 fully REMed. 594 hp/576 tq-ft. ATX spindles, Speedtech control arms, Chassis Works G-Link on 12 bolt with REMed gears, Chassis Works mini tubs, 245/40-17 front, 335/35-17 rear.

I have installed a lot of GEN II units in a lot of different cars. If I can make a GENIV work, I do. It is a better unit than the II in every way, it moves more air, the evaporator core and heater core are separate in the IV, the variable fan speed is nice and not being limited by the capillary tube on the controls makes packaging easier.

Factor that with the fact that there is a GENIV kit already engineered to fit your car and the extra money is well worth it.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

If I recall the Gen II is also vacuum operated as opposed to electric door driven servo motors, correct me if I'm wrong. I installed 1 Gen II many years ago before the Gen IV's came out and have never went back. What was nice was that DSE made a nice bracket for the Gen II's in the 67-69 Camaros. Now they only produce Gen IV bracket for 69 Camaro.

Best of luck with which ever you choose.

BB

I like the features of the IV BUT I only care about heat so I can drive in late fall and early spring, not the winter. I may add the A/C someday but right now I have no plans to make that operational. That is why I am leaning more towards this one plus when I do make it work it will only be used if the wife rides and it is super hot. I hate A/C in cars and prefer the windows down even at 100 degrees! From what I have read the Gen II will do everything I need but wanted to ask for what others had done. It is a electric servo unit now also
      1968 Camaro Crossram EFI 385, TKO 600 fully REMed. 594 hp/576 tq-ft. ATX spindles, Speedtech control arms, Chassis Works G-Link on 12 bolt with REMed gears, Chassis Works mini tubs, 245/40-17 front, 335/35-17 rear.

I used a Gen II Compac in a 69 Camaro with a 2010 dash and it worked great. Fit perfect and works just fine. I've also used the vacuum version in a 55 Nomad and it cooled just fine. If it works for your application I say go with it. You can see some pictures of it installed here:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t=#post1262630

Alex

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com