Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Rear view mirror frustration.

My inside rear view mirror has been a problem for over 40 years now. The design of the original Camaro mount relies on the tension of a single screw to hold the mirror head to the mount arm. I have tried all manor of ways to tighten the screw sufficiently to hold the mirror head in place but it inevitably slips and the mirror falls out of adjustment. This is not a new problem, I had this same issue with this same mirror back in the 70's I just never did anything about it. Now that I'm driving the car on a regular basis it has become a pain in the a** and it's time I take care of the problem once and for all. I'm looking for a permanent fix or replacement mirror assembly that will stay adjusted. Any recommendations?

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Name:  3F77B01E-31AC-4D72-8DD7-387F65D00FB7.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  116.0 KBI installed a newer Gentex one with garage door opener, compass, temp and auto dim (best feature). Easy to mount and install. You can buy them off of EBay. Buy a “button” from you local auto parts store, glue it on the windshield and install the mirror. Wiring is simple- battery, ground , ignition and this one has the two wires for the temp sensor. I mounted the temp sensor on the front of the core support behind the drivers headlight.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Country Flag: Canada
      I've been looking for something also. What dimensions does that have as compared to a stock one?

I had the same problem with the inside mirror kept flopping down. I bought a small bottle of nail polish, and put a small dab on the screw. Tighten it down, and no more loose mirror.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

firewheel classics has a nice black one that mounts on the windshield that looks very nice. I have the 67 version mounted on the roof and i really like it. Give them a call.

Contact Information:
      Local: 972-941-6623
      Toll Free: 1-800-711-0125
      Fax: 972-941-8644
      email: [email protected]

Store Location:
      119 Regency Drive
      Wylie, TX 75098

Our Hours:
      Monday-Friday
      8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST
      Saturday
      8:00 a.m. - Noon CST

I did the Gentex also, except without the temp gauge. Wired the garage door opener to hot and the compass key on.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

The mirror face is about the same size but it is “thicker”, around a 1/2-3/4” thick. I really like the auto dim feature. No more blinding lights from behind.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

I bought a new billet one for mine. mounts the same way but was much tighter. I also sprung for a new screw because like you I had a dime in the ashtray that doubled as a screwdriver to tighten my mirror every couple of days lol

Thanks for sharing this. I did not know these were available.

If the problem is the screw slowly loosens up, I'd put a small dab of blue locktite on it. If the problem is not due to the screw loosening up, but due to the mount not pinching the mirror connection tightly enough, I'd sacrifice (or buy a new inexpensive) feeler gauge set (the flat ones, not the wire type) and make a shim out of one that could be slipped in along side of the mount tab on the mirror and then tighten down the screw and that should restore the clamping ability of the mount and fix the problem. It would be nice to be able to use a washer, but I doubt you'd be able to find one thin enough and thus the suggested feeler gauge.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com