Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Given your time constraints, if the goal is just to get it running switching to LS now sounds like a terrible idea. Having never done it and not knowing what you are doing or will need isn't a recipe for a quick or easy process. You can have a crate 350 or whatever in and running in the time it takes a 6 pack to get cold; a first LS swap not so much. Any time and money spent going ls now would basically be time and money wasted if you are going to redo it again later anyway and go from carb to efi. Personally I just don't see any way that going LS makes sense in these circumstances if you want fast and cheap. Just a thought.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

6.0 and a super T-10 is a combo that I have not heard before. It obviously works extremely well!

Going the way of a 350 would be the biggest waste of time and money in my opinion because it would definitely be replaced later but undoubtedly the cheapest and quickest route to take. I am trying to find a balance for myself here with cheap/quick and what I want and would enjoy. My wishful timetable is not set in stone and it wouldn't surprise me if I didn't even get it done by Fall.

Lots of pros and cons posted and I've been soaking it in.

Your personal skills at fabrication, swapping, & patience can make a huge cost difference. For example if you do as suggested & get a complete takeout setup, there are wiring diagrams you can follow to take a factory harness & make it into a stand alone, cheaper than a carb & carb controller. Stuff like this can be done ahead. I moved my own accessories around ahead of time.
      Did my 99'ls1 swap in 2002' mostly the hard way. Didn't have the choices & info you got now. Cut & reboxed my g-body crossmember,made my motor mounts, harness. Had a lot of misc stuff to play with, was already plummed for my tpi engine. Used the twin fans that came with. The t-56 came with. Got ps lines modified locally by hydraulic line shop. aftermarket gauges were an investment.
      My biggest regret at the time::: didn't know the seller had a 2002' ls6 for a thousand more. Here's the other thing;; 15 to 16 years later of part time use, a few sensors, alternator, starter, & very little else needed. Can mostly sit for months, then be driven reliably for hours. My big negative against carbs these days is the crappy gas isn't so kind to them.
      Sooo, being affordable & done right depends on you. Not for everybody.

If yer in Wisconsin, I've got a nice excellent '74 Monte Carlo 2-V 350 that runs excellent.

The L-92 6L80 4x4 swap into the 1985 CUCV set me back all told with cost of truck and everything; $15,000.

Thanks for the offer HotWheelz but I'm in Missouri.

Ok I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6.0 LQ4 long block, it has a mild Comp cam and ported 806 cathedral port heads, SLP oil pump, SLP double roller timing chain, ASP underdrive pulley, GM muscle car oil pan. I will need alternator and bracket, intake setup etc. Do all LS use the same exhaust manifolds? Trying to make a list of required items before I go with it. Still thinking that MSD controller and carb would be quickest and easiest.

I did see that FiTech has some nice products including tanks, and complete computer, harness, intake setups if I decide to go that direction. A T-56 or 6060 would be great too but then I'd have to add in all of the hydraulic clutch components. Maybe that would have to be a later add-on.

Any thoughts/suggestions on parts if I go with the 6.0 long block?

^Yes, all gen 3 and gen 4 exhaust manifolds are interchangeable.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I would avoid the FITech if I were you. I did a lot of research before buying the Holley EFI controller and FITech's customer support is lacking to say the least. One of the guys in our car club bought one and had it professionally installed on his truck and had nothing but issues with it. Sent back the throttle body twice and still couldn't get the problems resolved so he sent it back for a refund and is still waiting on his money.

If you are not going to use the original EFI system and reprogram the ECU or go with an aftermarket ECU to control the system I would just go with a carburetor. Putting a TBI system on it is really spending money to travel backwards IMO.

About to make poor choices and regrettable decisions

I do see a wide variety of reviews on Fitech while Holley is well "Holley" Still one of the best.

No intentions going TBI as I agree it would be a waste. I will either go carb or stay stock style MPI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com